Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Looping over arranger

NRuckNRuck UKBeta Tester Posts: 80

Loving the looper for jamming etc but was hoping I would be able loop over a pre-existing song in arranger view. As it stands, I still need another external midi controllable looper in order to be able to do this in the way we use vocal loops with my band. I could get a second Deluge, I s’pose but can’t stretch to that right now. Anyone have experience with the Mod Duo?

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

There are 2 ways to loop in Arranger

• Stutter effect in Arranger
    • switch to Song mode and undim the pads

what exactly do you want to do?

I have certain sections of song where our singer is building up loops over a backing track (which I now have laid out in arranger on the Deluge) usually between 4 and 8 bars. I tried switching to song mode from arranger while the arrangement is playing and couldn't get the looper working. I need to do all this hands free as I am playing guitar while triggering the looping and transport of the Deluge with the foot pedal (I'm using the official Synthstrom / Actition one) so dropping in to song mode from arranger won't be viable. Ideally I just need to be able to open up the song in arranger, hit play with one footswitch then hit loop when I get to the section where the vocal looping somes in, hit loop again to stop, quantized to the nearest bar where I want the loops to keep a-loopin'.

@NRuck said:
    I have certain sections of song where our singer is building up loops over a backing track (which I now have laid out in arranger on the Deluge) usually between 4 and 8 bars.

-> in arranger you have one instrument (=1 row) with some sections laid out? any other instruments? do you live record the singer?

I tried switching to song mode from arranger while the arrangement is playing and couldn't get the looper working
    -> hmm, dont know about a demo vid for this

. I need to do all this hands free as I am playing guitar while triggering the looping and transport of the Deluge with the foot pedal (I'm using the official Synthstrom / Actition one) so dropping in to song mode from arranger won't be viable.

-> yeah, u would need a new midi command for this.

Ideally I just need to be able to open up the song in arranger, hit play with one footswitch then hit loop when I get to the section where the vocal looping somes in, hit loop again to stop, quantized to the nearest bar where I want the loops to keep a-loopin'.

-> when u switch to song mode from arranger, u can loop the clips that are currently active in arranger. thats what u can do.
    depends on what you want to do while looping. maybe a better, quantized, midi controllable Stutter effect could work for you?

edited December 2019

Yes, I have one or more instrument row (say drums on one row and some synth or bass on another) in arranger to create a full song structure and I am needing to live record the singer's loops at say the middle eight or to build up vocal loops during the last verse / chorus / outro etc. Doesn't matter if I have another row set up as an Audio In, because I am in arranger mode I can't loop that one Audio in track while the arrangement plays behind it.

I can do what I need in song mode but then it's much harder to have a varied backing as switching between tracks (clips) and having it clear in my tiny brain which set of clips triggers which song section over 11 or 12 full songs is going to fry my brain.

Midi commands via the foot pedal cover what I need to do looping wise (play / loop / overdub / undo) but not being able to loop over the arranger song structure (ie have an 4 bar llooping section) triggered at the right section of the song, ie 2 minutes into the song or whatever it might be) is my problem. Don't see how the stutter function would enable this but to be fair I am not really familiar with the stutter effect anyway.

I was using a ditto x4, triggered by the Deluge before the 3.0 update, so might just go back to that, or another midi compatible looper. The X4 was a bit random with receiving MIDI accurately.

Post edited by NRuck on

to emulate a X4 i guess an improved Stutter effect would be close. a better Stutter effect is on top of the users suggestions since a long time
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/240/motion-sequence-stutter-effect#latest

here a video that hopefully makes more clear what i meant with „switch to Song mode and undim the pads„.

Thanks for the vid. Like what’s being done there and definitely a useful tutorial but it’s not what I’m trying to achieve combing live vocal looping over a repeatable, pre-existing static song structure. Thanks for all your helpful comments though.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@NRuck
    You would indeed need a second looper to accomplish exactly what you want

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

@Icoustik said:
    @NRuck
    You would indeed need a second looper to accomplish exactly what you want

Yes. That’s the conclusion I’ve come to. Though thinking that I could potentially bounce each song arrangement to a stereo two track stem and import as a sample in a kit, set deluge to song mode zoomed to the length of the loop I want to create and give that a go. It’s a bad compromise and inflexible. What I would much rather do is take the band down a semi-improvised route. Have some riffs / building blocks that we start out with and get creative with the Deluge’s impressive looping potential from there. Kinda sucks playing songs the same way every time anyway

just for the record, forgot to say, the v3 audio tracks are meant to serve live looping and loop pedal functionality. havent explored that much though and cant think of a way right now to combine it with Arranger.

@amiga909 said:
    just for the record, forgot to say, the v3 audio tracks are meant to serve live looping and loop pedal functionality. havent explored that much though and cant think of a way right now to combine it with Arranger.

Yes. It's the 3.0 audio track functionality that this thread is all about. Sorry if I hadn't made that clear to begin with. Looping a shorter section over a full song length arrangement is what I'm trying to do but looks like I still need a second looper to achieve this...or another Deluge.