Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Paulstretch?

I'm not sure whether this is possible with the Deluge's existing hardware, but it'd be really cool to see Paulstretch available in some form. I use Audacity a lot for editing samples before loading them onto the Deluge and I am a big fan of Paulstretch, which is available as a built-in effect.

For anyone not familiar, Paulstretch is an open-source program/algorithm for "smearing" a sound's frequency spectrum across a period of time (usually significantly longer than the original sample). It can produce some really beautiful and interesting textures that evolve smoothly. See the link above for some examples.

The Audacity implementation allows editing of two parameters: stretch factor (which is the ratio of the output's length to the input's length) and time resolution (which controls the amount of spectral "leakage" or smearing from adjacent time slices). The standalone program grants control of more parameters, but even this simple implementation is really effective.

:)

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

for smearing sounds, did u try this?
    create new audio track
    load a 1 bar sample loop via browse
    push shift + turn l/r and extend to 400 bars

jedslaterjedslater Los Angeles, USAPosts: 2

Thank you for the suggestion, @amiga909! I was worried this wouldn't work because of the way that sample stretching chops up the sound but I tried this out and it actually works quite well with a lot of reverb and some filtering. This is very helpful!