Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Edits no longer propagate to all instances?

manateemilitiamanateemilitia Austin, TXPosts: 69
edited October 2019 in Deluge Help

Yeah, editing a clip with preset 143 for instance, changing the resonance, then entering song view and tapping into another clip for 143 and the resonance is unchanged. This kind of change used to propagate to every instance. If this isn't how it works anymore how do I do this?

Post edited by manateemilitia on

Comments

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

Are you sure it used to do this? It shouldn't have. You'll see as soon as you make a change to 143 that it automatically assigns a new incremental number to it, but when you go to another clip using the original 143 patch that will remain the original 143. Deluge has always behaved this way.

Ha! I definitely mis-typed there and meant to say 143A. I could have sworn this is how it worked—but previous functionality notwithstanding, how would I best propagate parameter changes to every clip for a specific preset?

Okay, what I've got is that in the clip I've made my changes I save and overwrite to the same preset and then load the preset again in the other clips... Does that sound right?

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

Yes, that workflow as you described is the only way to do so at the moment.

Thanks! One more question though: Would that then change the preset across all songs/projects?

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@manateemilitia said:
    Thanks! One more question though: Would that then change the preset across all songs/projects?

not an official answer but probably the answer is: it doesnt do by now and it wont it future. dont know what you think it should do of course.
    i think this is the correct behavior: presets are stored per song and a change to a preset in one song doesnt affect the other song. Cubase and probably all DAWs behave the same: say you have a VSTi with preset "303 bass" loaded in 2 songs, resaving that preset does not affect the other song. however, if you would want to reload a changed preset in another song, currently Deluge forces to create a new preset as you cannot access the preset as stored on the disk when its already saved within a song (sorry, sounds complicated).

That's what I'm hoping! I'll mess with it tonight and double-check.

HotelsinusHotelsinus HungaryPosts: 30

yes this is a problem we get today, if we modify parameters in a clip, that would be nice to have the same modification on the other clips with the same sound.
    Maybe we are missing something , is there a way to get this results?

Also we're having dificulties with reloading a sound, coz if you change parameters that would stayafter reloading it, you cant relaod the original saved sound preset anymore or can you? this is not working here on our two machine with 3.01 firmware

Thank you for your help...

edited October 2019

@Hotelsinus said:
    yes this is a problem we get today, if we modify parameters in a clip, that would be nice to have the same modification on the other clips with the same sound.

Also we're having dificulties with reloading a sound, coz if you change parameters that would stayafter reloading it, you cant relaod the original saved sound preset anymore or can you? this is not working here on our two machine with 3.01 firmware

i think ur right, in 3.0 the workarounds i had dont do it anymore.

http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/9787#Comment_9787
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/921/cloned-track-with-same-synth/p1

manatee: the param resonance (synth mode) never propagated to cloned clips. some params do, mostly params that cant be learned, for example sample reverse.

Post edited by amiga909 on

You're all totally right of course, however my misconception does seem to bring up a valid issue. Clips are tied to a preset (you can't have concurrent clips of the "same" preset in arranger or song view) but the underlying preset in these clips doesn't have shared attributes and that's confusing. In addition, the workaround I proposed earlier doesn't actually work, explicitly saving a change and loading the preset in another clip doesn't load the new change.

It's really tedious to change the release on 5 clips because I think the sound in the whole song should last longer. Does anyone have any workarounds to this? Or suggestions for a way this can work better?

the problem is u cant load the preset to the same clip like any other daw, so this means the preset is gone forewer for that clip. and the clone workaround is not for this issue!
    so its a problem. i think a clean load preset or something is needit

your right manatee, it IS a valid issue. if i had to call out a single dark spot of the Deluge, it is the clone concept.

• no straight forward way to align clones. Its possible to do manually but there is no sane way in a complex situation afaik. Some stuff is easier to align, like aligning loaded samples in kit mode. To for example align the delay amount in synth clips i currently create new clones and copy the notes.
    • some param changes affect all clips, some not. Thats confusing.

default way for presets is okey,.. but i want to use it like the simplest way! like in any vst presets in daws, that affects all the patterns in the project of coz... this way is needit. coz you mess up everything in one sec and 3 pattern.. :disappointed:

Please!

NorisNoris AustriaPosts: 38

I’m with you. Unfortunately the current behavior is very confusing and not straightforward. It’s a huge amount of unnecessary work if you want to „mix“ your song/clips. That always stops me finishing/polishing my songs...

@Noris said:
    I’m with you. Unfortunately the current behavior is very confusing and not straightforward. It’s a huge amount of unnecessary work if you want to „mix“ your song/clips. That always stops me finishing/polishing my songs...

yes absolutely!

KenoubiKenoubi United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 46

@amiga909 said:

@Hotelsinus said:

Dunno if this post is still relevant (it's a bit old) but my workaround (save preset, change instrument to MIDI, save song, load song, change instrument back to preset) still seems to work in 3.0. With the caveat that it destroys any intentional parameter changes you might have made, of course.

@Kenoubi said:
    Dunno if this post is still relevant (it's a bit old) but my workaround (save preset, change instrument to MIDI, save song, load song, change instrument back to preset) still seems to work in 3.0. With the caveat that it destroys any intentional parameter changes you might have made, of course.

thanks, tried the midi workaround but did not save the song after the temp midi track is created. will try later.

@Kenoubi said:

@amiga909 said:

@Hotelsinus said:

its still a big big problem with the workflow.
    the "save - change -save - loand - change" is not a solution for the problem....

@Hotelsinus said:
    its still a big big problem with the workflow.
    the "save - change -save - loand - change" is not a solution for the problem....

Yeah, agreed. I find myself using some external gear more and using the Deluge just to control via MIDI instead of internal presets. Which is shame since I really like using the engine. It's just way too much of a pain if I'm composing a track and decide that I want the attack on my arpeggiated preset to be shorter to go into all 5 clips using that preset and edit the attack manually. I'd be really interested to hear from the Deluge team about this feedback (and a few other threads like it).