Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Crash and corruption while saving & overwriting song

pikeypikey IrelandPosts: 17

Just hit a crash while saving a song. The song file has corrupted and is showing as 0 bytes in size, I'm pretty bummed as this was the only version of the song.

If there is anything I can provide to hunt down what might have caused this crash so it can be prevented in the future let me know.

A few possibly relevant factors:

• Arranger playback might have been ongoing while I was saving. I was playing back the end of the arrangement, so it's possible the playback actually naturally came to the end of the song during the save
  • The song I was playing had probably around 8 audio tracks and 2 drum tracks. The some of the audio tracks also had effects applied (reverb, delay, modulation)
  • Prior to hitting save I had pressed the red backspace buttons twice (to delete the 2 in the song title) and then I hit save twice to overwrite
  • the display seemed to freeze almost immediately when starting the saving animation

Yes I realise in retrospect I should have used the versioning system to save rather than overwriting. I used to use it before 3.0 but now with track naming I've found it's a pain to find the latest version of a named track just using the four character display.

For feedback it would be great if when deluge overwrites a song file (or any type of preset config file for that matter) it saved to a new file, then once that's successful it deletes the old file and renames the new file. That way if a similar crash were to happen in the future the original file wouldn't be gone.

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

There's a bugfix beta testing over on the usual fb group right now, the bug is in the process of being fixed (or is already) - there's also a new safety mechanism implemented, so that if a save corrupts while overwriting, it will keep a backup copy of the project separately :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

AutomaticFormAutomaticForm United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 12

You mean implemented in the beta? Good to hear. I lost 2 tracks to corrupted files last week, also very bummed by it. I feel like both times it happened I had left the deluge on over night. Obviously not doing that anymore, and saving very often now :D

pikeypikey IrelandPosts: 17

@Icoustik said:
    There's a bugfix beta testing over on the usual fb group right now, the bug is in the process of being fixed (or is already) - there's also a new safety mechanism implemented, so that if a save corrupts while overwriting, it will keep a backup copy of the project separately :)

Thanks for the info, that's a relief to hear that the safety mechanism is being implemented. Looking forward to the update, right now I'm holding my breath whenever I'm saving.

@AutomaticForm said:
    You mean implemented in the beta? Good to hear. I lost 2 tracks to corrupted files last week, also very bummed by it. I feel like both times it happened I had left the deluge on over night. Obviously not doing that anymore, and saving very often now :D

Yes, implemented in 3.0.1 which will be released shortly :)
    FYI, the Deluge is prone to crashing/freezing or at least glitching when its low on battery.

@pikey said:

@Icoustik said:

Thanks for the info, that's a relief to hear that the safety mechanism is being implemented. Looking forward to the update, right now I'm holding my breath whenever I'm saving.

Coming in the next few days :)

GeorgeRTerryGeorgeRTerry BristolPosts: 4

Oh jeeeeez, I just my lost my second song to this bug...

I was overwriting as opposed to versioning as well. D'oh...

I don't suppose the new firmware is out yet is it?

I wish I could get those tunes back!

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Can confirm I still get (gnarly: not reproducible) freezes in one of my Song in the newest beta. Happy to say havent got the problem of loosing a Song XML anymore. For now, I'd recommend to save often to new files, like in the old computer days :)