Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

USB in/out class compliant?

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

I'm thinking of buying an iConnectivity mio4 to connect 5 external synths to the Deluge. 3 of the 5 synths don't have a separate midi thru port, 1 of them has and one of them only has midi IN.

I want the 4 synths with both midi in and midi out to be connected to the Deluge bi-directional. So Midi in + midi out. I will then daisy chain the synth with separate midi thru port with the synth with only midi in.

Since the mio4 only has 4 DIN IN ports + 4 DIN OUT ports, I have to use all these ports for just the 5 synths. That means I have to connect the Deluge to the USB jack. This should work if the Deluge is class compliant for usb midi. I can't find whether this is true or not. I am afraid it is not.

Does anyone know this?

I think I have to get the mio10 to do what I want, but this is more expensive and a lot bigger, so I prefer the mio4 if possible..

Comments

drGrovdrGrov Hampshire, UKBeta Tester Posts: 14

I just plugged my Deluge into the USB port of my MIO 10 and it worked without a hitch. You should have no problems with the MIO 4.

Cool! Thanks for testing.

Do you know whether it can also power the deluge through usb?

drGrovdrGrov Hampshire, UKBeta Tester Posts: 14

I've actually got a crappy Amazon Basics powered USB hub connected to the MIO as I've got a couple of USB MIDI synths so I can'r say for certain..However, it shouldn't be any different to a USB socket on a computer so I'd expect it to work.

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199
    edited May 2018

Why not just use a separate midi THRU box? Much less expensive than upping the size of the MiO

Midi solutions passive or a Kenton Active. The Kenton THRU boxes I use are active and have one IN, five OUT for midi ports. I run my controller keyboard to midi IN on the Deluge with the OUT port on the Deluge set to pass the THRU info, then run midi OUT to Kenton IN and connect whatever synths I want to the five Kenton OUT ports. If you want more synths, connect one of the five OUT ports to a second Kenton midi IN, and then five more OUTs available. Very easy to connect multiple synths. You also have the advantage of using the synths themselves as a lot of synths will have a THRU port, or if not, have a setting like the Deluge to retransmit IN at the OUT port.

I guess that wouldn’t cover your wanting both midi IN and OUT connected to the synths, but not sure why you would need the OUT of the synth connected back to the Deluge. CC mapping’s are pretty easy per track on the Deluge or if your controller keyboard has knobs that are assignable, easy to setup pass thru from controller to synth.

Post edited by Vondragonnoggin on

I want the midi out of the synths to go back to the Deluge so I can record any parameters or notes by the Deluge and loop this.

@MPrinsen said:
    I want the midi out of the synths to go back to the Deluge so I can record any parameters or notes by the Deluge and loop this.

Yes - mapping any of the seven buttons with top and bottom functions linked to the gold controllers does the same thing. Hold Dow a button and push down on the gold upper or lower knob and use select controller to dial in the CC value. Then when the track plays, use the gold controllers mapped to your midi CC’s to record CC changes

If you need to use the keys on your particular synth, you would of course have to map back to the Deluge, but you could also use a merge box to merge all the outs of your synths to single IN of your Deluge

I like using a single controller myself. Or just use Deluge keyboard

I know, but with the 2.0 update it should be possible to tweak any knob on your synth and it gets recorded. Without assigning it to a golden knob first. This is much more desirable.

SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

Hi @MPrinsen! Just to confirm, the Deluge is class compliant but, while it can be powered through USB, it's unable to supply power to anything connected to it. Hope that clears any confusion up :smile:

Thanks!

krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70
    edited July 2018

@Sam said:
    Hi @MPrinsen! Just to confirm, the Deluge is class compliant but, while it can be powered through USB, it's unable to supply power to anything connected to it. Hope that clears any confusion up :smile:

Not really happy with this design decision. I would like to connect my iPad as additional synth using the CCK, but iPad says: Too much power – even when the Deluge's battery is fully loaded. I find it extremely annoying to have to use USB hubs or USB/MIDI cables in battery powered/mobile setups.

Is the Deluge's charging circuit hardwired? If no, I would like to see a option to disable the USB charging.

Post edited by krunchr on

@krunchr said:

@Sam said:

Not really happy with this design decision. I would like to connect my iPad as additional synth using the CCK, but iPad says: Too much power – even when the Deluge's battery is fully loaded. I find it extremely annoying to have to use USB hubs or USB/MIDI cables in battery powered/mobile setups.

Is the Deluge's charging circuit hardwired? If no, I would like to see a option to disable the USB charging.

I use an iConnect Midi lightning to Midi In/Out adapter. Also have used a Griffin dock. It’s 16 channel i/o and if you sync it with a host app, you can use multiple iOS synths. Something like the multitimbral BeatMaker 2 or 3 and you can run many synths or just use one at a time on a Deluge midi track or an app with a midi kit for drums, etc. lots of options without having to change Deluge structure. I use a cck with a powered usb hub for connections sometimes too. You won’t get that power warning from the iPad.

jamalijamali OmanPosts: 1

@krunchr said:

@Sam said:

I completely agree with this. The deluge has its own battery, there shouldn’t be a need for a powered usb hub or any other peripherals when connected to an iPad.

supchikovsupchikov Beta Tester Posts: 20

@jamali said:

@krunchr said:

@Sam said:

I completely agree with this. The deluge has its own battery, there shouldn’t be a need for a powered usb hub or any other peripherals when connected to an iPad.

+1