Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Display which notes are playing on the audition pads when in clip/keyboard view.

SamuelSamuel Rotterdam, NetherlandsPosts: 35

When composing with a MIDI keyboard or when zooming in on a section that doesn't have any notes yet, I often lose track of where I am in terms of note height. One thing that would help me overcome this would be that the audition pads on the left would light up whenever the synth of kit clip I am viewing is playing a specific note. This would help me in three different scenarios:
1) I made the beginning of a synth melody and would like to finish it. I am zoomed in on the second part while the melody is playing. I hear a note from the first part of the melody I want to repeat in the second part. Instead of having to locate the note by changing my view, I see the corresponding audition pad light up, showing me on which row the note is and allowing me to plop down a note without changing my view.
2) I have a MIDI keyboard connected and linked to a synth. I just jammed the right melody but would like to program it into the clip track rather than recording it (I'm not a great piano player, but find it easy to find the right notes on a keyboard). Instead of repeating the process of finding the right note on my MIDI keyboard and then on my Deluge, by having the audition pads light up when I play my MIDI keyboard I can immediately program in the right notes in the right row.
3) When I am in the keyboard view for a synth and a melody on that clip is already playing, I cannot see which notes are already playing. When recording a jam using the keyboard view, I might play notes that are only half steps away from notes that are already playing, causing unwanted dissonance. When I can see which notes are already played I can more easily find parts of the register that are unused but might sound nice.

The only implementation problem I see is that when you play a MIDI note that is outside the scale view of a clip, you have no way of showing that specific note on the audition pads. Otherwise I see many upsides to this feature.

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@Samuel said:
    When composing with a MIDI keyboard or when zooming in on a section that doesn't have any notes yet, I often lose track of where I am in terms of note height. One thing that would help me overcome this would be that the audition pads on the left would light up whenever the synth of kit clip I am viewing is playing a specific note.

Upvoted. Well explained.

By now, the colors in Song view designate pitch values, so this might help. Also pressing on an audition pad shows the note to know where you are. Nevertheless, upvoted, I like that feature. well explained use cases, can relate 100%.

Additionally I'd wish there was an auto-zoom feature. Similar to Cubase. To speed up the workflow of manual zooming / navigating all the time.
    Auto zoom:

• switch to the resolution that fits for the entire clip, so the entire clip is visible.
    • scroll to the position of the first note, so the first note of the clip is centered.
    • shortcut idea: press down both L/R knob and U/D knob