Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

RIP Dominic Hawken/Mr Wiggly! (UK retrofits procedure changing hands)

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
edited February 2023 in General Discussion

By now some of you may have heard the devastating news that one of the most wonderful people in the Deluge and wider synth community, Dominic Hawken, passed away recently.

Dominic was one of the first and greatest advocates we had. His Deluge videos were the first videos he shared on his 'Mr Wiggly' channel (https://www.youtube.com/@Mr.Wiggly) and he has always been a supportive and valued member of the community. Always there to help people and contribute, he even helped, along with Jen, turn a London demo of mine around a few years ago when I got flustered and completely forgot how to use a Deluge.

He always spoke kindly of us through his affiliation with Sonic State and gave our brand and people real credibility within that community.

Dominic was also the person charged with doing retrofits for us in the UK.

We had taken a pause over Xmas as shipping was proving to be difficult with strikes there and we started talking again early January about kicking them off again.

Just as we were working out a plan, Dom started experiencing some health difficulties, at first he thought they'd be resolved and we kept up discussion of how to commence the retrofits once he was better. As January wore on it grew clearer that his health we deteriorating and we started working on a plan to get someone to take over incase he was going to be unable to continue.
As the end of January neared and we were working out how to get all our equipment from him, his health took a turn. Knowing there was no point adding any further stress to his situation, I just told him to wait till he was better and we'd work out a plan then, that our community would understand.

On Feb 6th, Dominic passed away. Absolutely heartbroken about the news, but along with his family and business partners, we knew that the last thing Dominic would want would be for his passing to affect his beloved community, we have since had everything collected from Dominic and our new UK repair partner, will begin the retrofit process this coming week.
Our hearts go out to Dominic's friends and family and especially his talented and charismatic daugher, Loullamae, who we all got to meet through his amazing livestreaming series.

There is a memorial planned for 24th March in London Chiswick and I'll share details to this post when they are available.
R.I.P Mr Wiggly

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

Comments

michalpmichalp PraguePosts: 5

Absolutelly gutted by this news. His appearances on Sonic Talk were always my favourite. This is so sad. Such a talented and lovely person. I wish everyone could have one Dom in life as a friend and there would be no hate and war. RIP Dominic.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Oh my goodness, shocking and heartbreaking news... May you rest in in peace Dom .. <3

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

This is so sad. Mr Wiggly was one of the most influencing persons in my love to the deluge.
    I´ve tried hard to copy his dub style work on the deluge.
    Maybe you can implement his incinerator plugin to the deluge so he will live forever inside deluge.

May you rest in peace Mr.Wiggly <3

RupertRupert LondonPosts: 8

Just saw this - what a shame.