Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Live looping with Deluge functionality - can I replicate the Boss Loop Station live workflow?

csaunderscsaunders Auckland NZPosts: 4

tldr; Can I pretend to be Cut Chemist with a Deluge instead of buying a loop station?:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAulCSj_Lw

Hi

I'm considering purchasing a Deluge but have a primary use case that I'm still not sure is fully supported - can anyone confirm or deny please...

(apologies if this has been essentially answered elsewhere, my Deluge understanding is basic and so I'm unable to ascertain for myself based on my research to date).

My question: Can the Deluge (with usb pedal etc.) do live looping where the primary playing source isn't the Deluge but some external source e.g. a record player and the Deluge is the live sampler and looper playing mixed in with the primary source whilst remaining in synch with the primary source.

(All my research has only produced examples where the Deluge is the primary source and external sources are for sampling only rather than the Deluge being the looper only)

My proposed use case:
I currently own a pocket operator KO-33 and have enjoyed learning basic sampling and basic synth patterns from the samples I've made. Especially enjoying putting my samples into octaves and pitch shifting but all work on the tiny unit is primarily 'batch mode' with playback later not 'live'.

I also own a couple of Technics SL-1200 turntables and a Pioneer mixer and have been watching the cut chemist do some awesome live sampling and looping on the fly with the Boss RC-50 loop station:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAulCSj_Lw

I'd like to try my hand at live looping vinyl samples whilst mixing in new records like Cut Chemist and adding pre-recorded effects / synth engine components and samples as well all at the same time.

I'd like to purchase the Deluge as I want a better synth and sample engine than the PO 33 to use with my vinyl but would like to if possible skip purchasing a Boss loop station as well (primarily for budget reasons but also because at first glance the loop station seems redundant - if the Deluge loop functionality plus USB controllers like foot pedals work as I suspect they do).

My concerns are that with the Deluge and USB controllers are still primarily targeted towards 'batch mode' DAW style workflow and aren't as suitable for 'Live' workflows e.g. it will work but:

(a) will still require a large number of button presses before triggering loops (record, stack, play automatically) thus isn't easy to trigger even with USB controllers during a live performance, or

(b) triggers loop recording and playbacks just fine but doesn't permit beat synching easily (whether manually by ear or automatically) so recorded loops end up out of synch with the live playing record source, or

(c) recorded loops and live playing records remain and stay in synch just fine but the workflow still somehow requires some 'batch' mode behaviour that I haven't quite yet realised is required and so will never be suitable for 'live' performances (e.g. requires a blank initial recording to be made and forever forces the subsequent recorded / played loops into some sort of weird bar constraint etc.)

Does anyone have any direct experience of both USB controllers and the Deluge and live looping and can comment on my proposed use case (perhaps I would be better off purchasing both the Deluge and the Loop station rather than trying to be a cheap skate and save NZD$1k?)

Fears (a) and (b) above seem false based on my research but (c) still seems likely and I don't know what I don't know...

Would appreciate any help, thanks so much :-)

Tagged:

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

I haven’t owned a Boss RC50. But I do know the Deluge can do the things you’re describing.

There’s a mappable LOOP command that begins recording, closes the loop with immediate playback, and can then start recording a new loop, all from repeated presses of the same MIDI control button.

You can optionally set the global tempo with the first loop (based on your loop length timing) and all loops after that automatically close on the next measure, or current zoom level, which is synced to global tempo.

Subsequent loops can be any length.

Not sure if there’s any workflow specifics that wouldn’t gel with what you’re trying to accomplish. But I can’t think of any. I’d recommend reading the audio and looping sections of the manual to get more familiar.

@Too_Mere said:

You can optionally set the global tempo with the first loop (based on your loop length timing) and all loops after that automatically close on the next measure, or current zoom level, which is synced to global tempo.

Subsequent loops can be any length.

Thanks @Too_Mere really concise response :-)

Can the global tempo set command also be midi mapped? i.e. can I have the process completely hands free?

Also the subsequent loops I understand each get recorded to their own 'row' on the Deluge and then start playing as well once the bar is complete - am I able to map midi commands to mute and unmute a specific 'row' so that I can manipulate which subsequent loops are playing or not along with the original loop recording? i.e. immediately after recording loop #5 as it is about to commence playing for round 6 can I click a midi controller button and mute row #3 so that only rows 1,2,4&5 are playing during round 6?

Will take a closer look at the manual.

cheers
    cs

My pleasure!
    That global tempo based on the first loop I describe happens automatically. You only need to press loop command. There’s also a tap tempo function. Also mappable.

While the different loop layers can be muted and unmuted individually and they can be mapped, but there’s not a way to have this prepared or set up hands free because those clips of the layers don’t exist to map to until after they’re recorded. But the mapping is a very quick process that could be done on the fly. Or just use your hands for that bit.
    One thing that could be prepared is mapping the foot controller to different color section than the section you’re looping to. This would mute all clips in the current section and launch the others.

edited January 2022

Thanks @Too_Mere

One last question, how good is the auto tempo thingy? my primary sources will be audio (records and other line in stuff) not midi.

Post edited by csaunders on

No problem.
    It’s largely dependent on your timing when starting and stopping the loop. Easier with shorter loops. The longer you go, the greater possibility for a margin of error.
    Occasionally it may guess twice or half the desired tempo. But that’s rarely an issue.

ok thanks.