Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Cue Record External Audio Into Kit

faux_chateaufaux_chateau New ZealandBeta Tester Posts: 8

Hey folks, I love that you can simply hit audition+rec in a kit channel and voila - sampled audio!

BUT is there a way for this to be more accurate? I would like to be able to cue record / count in,, and have this record stop after a set pattern length.

I can do this no sweat for 'audio' parts - shift+rec counts in, the external source is recorded, and the record stops after the set pattern length. Done.

It would be great if I could do this in a kit somehow as Im using different external drum machines, but cannot take them with me live.

I want my kit channel to have both the midi (for said drum pattern), but also a sampled representation of that drum pattern, and for me to be able to mute and unmute these sampled parts kit rows, just like I can do with the drum machine when its hooked up in the studio.

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance!

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

There’s currently no way to sync sampling into a kit as you describe. You’d have to just edit the start and end manually in waveform view.

Alternatively, you can record an audio clip like you describe with the count in. Then save the song (to move the audio clip out of the TEMP file). Now you can enter the audio clip and use the browse shortcut to locate the sample. Then back in the kit, hold an empty audition pad + load and the browser should automatically jump to the sample for you to load into the kit.

Or another thought is to just sample each sound of the drum machine. Save that as a kit. Can then use the same sequence for either MIDI or sample kit.

Oh almost forgot about resampling. That can be synced to the start and end of the loop by pressing record + play and then record + play again to stop at the end of the loop. But that does record everything and you’ll need to set up monitoring for your drum machine first.
    Then it still needs to get loaded into the kit.
    Hope some of this helps! :)

faux_chateaufaux_chateau New ZealandBeta Tester Posts: 8

Yes thank you - that second suggestion totally nailed the objective.

I know have a kit which contains the original midi data for recording and a pretty playable clone of the same kit, but as resampled deluge data (and all the modcons of being able to mangle sound via deluge fx).

Something I'll add is that I found changing the samples to 'stretch' mode (defaulted to loop) meant that I could mute and unmute these kit rows. When in loop it would take a cycle for the pattern to sync up with itself.

And yes: obviously you have to set up an audio channel that you can monitor from!

Where there any future proof tips re sampled audio? I dont foresee myself ever clearing the resample folder...so all should be good right? Seems like okay practice?

Great!
    Both those sample modes you mentioned should allow you to mute and unmute their kit rows as you like.