Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How do you use stutter?

Like all on Deluge, this effect sounds very nice, but I have yet to find out how to make use of it.

Pls share how you use it. Do you automate? Ever use on master? Any examples on soundcloud?
Thanks.

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

I use it a lot in performances, most often on the master. You cannot automate it unfortunately but sometimes I’ll resample stutters and throw in those chops.

Here’s one example that has a lot of stutter use but it’s on probably most of my tracks.

https://youtube.com/shorts/264b0nnJvPI?feature=share

TOTALTOTAL Posts: 111
    edited January 2023

Add overdrive, darken lyrics, shave girls head and you'll get recent prodigy :)
    Not my jam of acid but high quality nonetheless ^^

How did you go about recoring those stutters? I would have thought you triggered resampling and and did some trials and errors in a single go, then selected the best takes. Is that the only/ optimal way?
    It does take lots of preparations, doesn't it? Depending on the material, D's stutter may sound really well, but I would fear to try and err live as sometimes it spits out pulp. I was wondering what it would take for the effect to really shine. A filter under the other knob (or a post effect of choice)? Also all muting, playing and tweaking unlocked as you press the knob. A permanent HP to avoid sewing machine effect? Toggle rather than gate press, at least as an option to let you prepare for the drop? Some sort of kik-in microcontrol, quantise AND volume threshold. Not that much really ;)

Also, plenty of work put into the video. Mind sharing what tools you used? Syncing music and vid, that might be ableton. Did you keep audio and video intact throughout the mixing process?

Post edited by TOTAL on
    Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Haha wow thanks! 😊

I’ll first say this is one my Jamuary videos. This year I’m only posting weekly but the spirit is the same. Only spending a few hours at most total on each one. So relatively speaking, it wasn’t too painstaking. Keeping vids to 1 min or less helps too.

This track in particular is highlighting two different uses. The first is more of a sound design technique. I loaded up a song with the most erratic synth sounds I’ve designed on the Deluge. Then just resampled while going ham on the stutter effect. Also other effects but mostly stutter. I then made a new kit and sliced that resample. I quickly jumped around to find slices that pop out to me, sometimes further affecting that kit row. Also adding a kit level hi pass, light reverb and sidechain.
    Then I just pepper those throughout the tune in different ways.

The other way stutter is used in that tune is on the song level. I did an unaffected resample capturing the arrangement without added performance. Then I did two more resamples while playing with stutter and modulation effects on the affect entire song.
    I put all three versions into Ableton take lanes and punch in the stutter takes where I like them.
    That’s a newer way of doing for me. My previous years of doing Jamuary are all one take resamples, sometimes doing a couple takes and picking the best one. But I found it doesn’t take much more time to do the punch ins and it lets me get more experimental with the stutter and more deliberate with what is actually used.

In live performance I LOVE using stutter. It does take some restraint and experience using it to feel like you have a handle on it. But it still provides a sense of risk and improvisation that I crave in a live performance that people seem to respond to as well.

Could the effect itself be improved? Sure. Most things can be. But in the spirit of this help forum, I think it best to find ways to make the most of the gear we have now. And stutter is definitely a fun one with a lot of possibilities. To me the unpredictable nature is part of its charm :)

And the video effect I’m using is called Brain Candy for Ableton. Great for automating visual effects. Ableton isn’t the best for video editing but it’s a software I know well and it’s easy for me to line up and cut the video to match the audio.

TOTALTOTAL Posts: 111

This is probably the most demanding effect unless you don't consider it a roll of a dice, yet on some days stutters sound better, which might be a matter of being in the flow.

Just found by the way that you can turn on resample while in stutter, which makes things easier than thought: you would not even need to record complete takes - just stutters to later add to taste as clips.

I will have a look at this Brain Candy thing. Ableton remains the tool here as well. If the addon is for Ableton, the framework must be M4L.

Cheers