Have Deluge. Making Songs. Now What? (Session 3 - July 18th)
Industry agitator and instigator for twenty years, prior to helping bring the Deluge to you, Ian
- has released over 50 albums for artists and compilations (CD, cassette, vinyl and digital)
- produced and promoted over 600 events including a dozen multi-stage/multi-day music festivals
- tour-managed over 100 bands through 30 countries.
- managed multiple artists.
- authored three books on DIY, disruption and the music industry
- lectured in Music Industry, co-ordinating and designing multiple courses, at Massey University
- has given multiple keynote addresses and music industry panel appearances internationally.
Join Ian in three lecture and Q&A sessions, exclusive to SynthstromTV - get the inside tip.
23rd 12pm (PDT) 3pm (EDT), 8pm (BST), 9pm (CEST)
24th 5am (AEST), 7am (NZT)
- your project name - what it says about your project and how to protect yourself so you can tour and release internationally.
- Understanding artist image and narrative and how to craft your identity.
- DIY or get help? What do managers, publicists, PR, labels, promoters, publishers and agents do. Do you need them? If so, how to know when?
- Timelines, cycles and strategy, how to be productive and make sure you get everything ready at the right time.
- How to meet, network with and get what you want from the industry.
- Understanding the power of niche and controlling your growth.
- A brief introduction to key marketing concepts & industry theory as it applies to a new artist: the long tail, 1000 true fans, multiple ways in, removing barriers, big fish/small pond vs small fish/big pond, practise and perfection vs public development and authenticity.
SESSION 2. June 20th. 3pm (EDT)
- Answering questions from session 1
- How to become part of a community; playing shows, collaborating, building.
- Developing relationships, communication and working with the media.
- Organising your own events and how to keep getting booked by other promoters.
- Releasing and promoting recorded music and performance.
SESSION 3. July 18th. 3pm (EDT)
- Touring: your territory, and the world.
- Plus topics you suggest from the Q&A of sessions 1 & 2