Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

The Deluge Dozen No.1

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 459
edited May 11 in Synthstrom TV

We’ve got a few shows in the works. If you’d like to take part in the Deluge Dozen, find out how below.

Step 1. Set up a camera that can film your Deluge and a timer (hint: your phone)
(Deluge only – no other gear allowed except for external controllers to input notes or modify parameters or a final audio processing step – ie: a compressor, effects pedal or mastering in a DAW etc.)

Step 2. Start filming with timer counting down from 12 minutes. Start making a song from scratch. Timer must be visible at all times.
We need to be able to see and hear in real time what is happening.

Step 3. When the timer ends. You can jam on whatever you’ve created for a further 3 minutes.

Step 4. Upload your final 15 minute video with audio to YouTube as “unlisted” and send the link to: ian@synthstrom.com by 6pm (US ET) May 10, 2021.

Any Deluge Dozen performance we select to air on Synthstrom TV we’ll make a payment of $25USD for. The creators of those selected will then get to vote for their favourite (except for their own), the performance with the most votes will receive a further $75USD.

You can ask questions below

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

Comments

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 57

Thats a great idea! Exciting!

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 796

Nice 1!

~ Distinguished Delugate (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

MikeKayMikeKay Sydney, West IslandPosts: 12

I love this idea!

What if one runs out of creative juice finishes the song before the 12 minutes is up? (Asking for a friend...)

mycorrhizaborgmycorrhizaborg United StatesPosts: 5

fun! do acoustic instruments (i.e. piano) recorded into deluge mic within the 12 minutes count as "other gear"?

hollsoundhollsound HUNGARYPosts: 7

Can we load kits and synths before starting the record?

edited April 21

@mycorrhizaborg said:
    fun! do acoustic instruments (i.e. piano) recorded into deluge mic within the 12 minutes count as "other gear"?

dang. I really have to provide more clarity around this eh, especially since looping is a possibility too...haha, I feel it could get really complicated and create tension over allowing some types of instruments and not others..ie: why should somebody be allowed to record piano but not their modular rig. I think the easiest for this first edition is to just make it Deluge only (though people are of course welcome to use samples/stems/multi-samples and anything they prepared earlier). Perhaps for a future edition, we could do a version where it's anything-goes as long as everything is assembled in the Deluge?

@hollsound said:
    Can we load kits and synths before starting the record?

yeah, I don't really see too much of an issue with having a bunch of blank clips set up already dialed in to certain presets, it might look a little rehearsed to a viewer though and probably not as interesting as seeing someone spend a few minutes experimenting with some different sounds?

rezzonatorukrezzonatoruk UKPosts: 1

Is it ok to talk over the video while creating the track....sort of a commentary on what is being done?

@rezzonatoruk said:
    Is it ok to talk over the video while creating the track....sort of a commentary on what is being done?

Totally. That would be appreciated I believe :)

sleeptotemsleeptotem Beta Tester Posts: 5

This is awesome!
    QQ, can we use the arranger view for the final 3 min presentation or does it have to be a live performance?

@sleeptotem said:
    This is awesome!
    QQ, can we use the arranger view for the final 3 min presentation or does it have to be a live performance?

hm. I should have thought about that in advance. I reckon I'll make that a specific part of a future one, where everyone has to plan the final 3 minute performance as a structured arrangement. I think for this one though, being I've already received submissions, it makes sense for it to be where the camera keeps running and just doing a three minute jam after the 12 minute construction. I do yes, like the idea though of filming building clips for 12 minutes and then bring able to switch off camera and giving people all time they like to build a composition and then filming that for 3 minutes as a an addendum - for another time :)

overdopedoverdoped meckpommPosts: 15

Ist it OK to make a little Intro and/or outro (max 30 seconds each)?
    And maybe a max 1 minute description what/which controller/s is/are used, how all is connected and routed?

@overdoped said:
    Ist it OK to make a little Intro and/or outro (max 30 seconds each)?
    And maybe a max 1 minute description what/which controller/s is/are used, how all is connected and routed?

Keep it as tight as absolutely possible. I reckon 15 minutes is already asking a lot for peoples attention. Potentially, if you're able, perhaps displaying text titles whilst the "jam" part of the video is happening, that would be ideal and keep it tight. Glad you're keen, love your vids.

edited May 11

DELUGE DOZEN #1

Featuring

• José Luis Amores
    • Hollsound
    • Rezzonator
    • Trulyors
    • Oseano
    • Michael J Bulaw
    • Arijuna
    • Icoustik
    • Rodney Cruden-Powell
    • m.soundnomad
    • Formal Process

Watch and learn the Deluge song-writing and performance workflows from some of the communities most well-known members.

See ten artists write a song from scratch in twelve minutes, in real-time, and then watch as they perform that song a further 3 minutes.

Chat with some of the writers, along with the community and learn all the best techniques for writing and performing on the Deluge.

MAY

• 16th 12pm (PDT) 3pm (EDT), 8pm (BST), 9pm (CEST)
    • 17th 5am (AEST), 7am (NZT)

Repeat airing

• 19th 5pm (PDT), 8pm (EDT)
    • 20th 1am (BST), 2am (CEST), 9am (AEST), 12pm (NZT)

iCal here

Google Calendar here

Details on the rules and details of how to take part in Deluge Dozen #2 are here