β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

What sort of content would you like to see?

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 467

What would you like to see on Synthstrom TV?

• Against the Clock type challenges?
  • Workflow/tutorial videos?
  • User interviews/profiles?
  • Not Deluge specific, but Industry related stuff - ie: videos on releasing music, touring, self-management, etc...
  • Not Deluge specific, but production related stuff, ie: Subtractive synthesis, mastering
  • Third party Deluge related projects?
  • Quick Deluge hacks/tips?
  • Challenges and competitions - ie: we give out a set of samples presets and then users submit songs/videos, people watching vote on favourite.
  • Live streamed performances?
  • "New Release" show (ie: premiering new Deluge performance videos from a certain period)

Any of these ideas sound interesting?
Have you other ideas?
Would you want to put your hand up to make stuff like this? (some limited funding is available)

Comments

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 204

They all sound interesting, my favorites are Against the Clock challenges & Challenges and competitions.

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

LegsMechanicalLegsMechanical United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 13

Against the Clock type challenges.
    Workflow/tutorial videos.
    Quick hacks/tips.

I'm really interested in how people use their gear to create cool stuff, especially gear that's as flexible as the D.

I personally wouldn't have much interest in content that's not Deluge-specific (since there's so much of it already)

gkc5431gkc5431 United StatesPosts: 1

Inspiring content is probably the most important. It would be nice if for each artist we could find out how access to more content by that person/group (YouTube, Facebook, Spotify, etc.).
    2nd for me would be "how-to's" (instructional videos, workshops, quick tips/tricks).

@gkc5431 said:
    Inspiring content is probably the most important. It would be nice if for each artist we could find out how access to more content by that person/group (YouTube, Facebook, Spotify, etc.).
    2nd for me would be "how-to's" (instructional videos, workshops, quick tips/tricks).

Generally I've tried to provide enough information that googling what is on screen will take you to at least one of the artists pages, at least their YT channel. I could provide more info, but I'm afraid the limited plugin that I'm using (crazy there aren't more options for this) will only split out meta data in one line and won't let you customise it individually nor can you only display for certain amounts of time, only the entire length of clip.

I'll try see if I can find some coders (haha, not going to interrupt Rohans work on 3.2 for this) who might be able to give me some more control over this and see if I can pop up some more info perhaps on the right side of the clip.

Another option is that I could possibly list all the artists who are playlisted and have a page on the website A-Z (linked from synthstrom.com/TV) which links to each artist, so people can visit that page, scroll to artist, and link direct. Could be something I can work on over the coming weeks :)

dannytaurusdannytaurus Los AngelesBeta Tester Posts: 13
    1. Against the Clock type challenges
    2. Workflow/tutorial videos
    3. Quick Deluge hacks/tips
    4. Third party Deluge related projects

I'd be up for doing ATC videos but probably no voiceover, just hands on Deluge.

Personally don't like 24/7 streaming content. Much prefer on-demand playlists/videos.

PuroMangoPuroMango Mango LandPosts: 1

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    Another option is that I could possibly list all the artists who are playlisted and have a page on the website A-Z (linked from synthstrom.com/TV) which links to each artist, so people can visit that page, scroll to artist, and link direct. Could be something I can work on over the coming weeks :)

^This would be great.

Regarding content: I agree with @LegsMechanical
    -Against the Clock type challenges.
    -Workflow/tutorial videos.
    -Quick hacks/tips.

I have watched several hours today and have enjoyed seeing how people use the Deluge and what techniques they use. Stuff that is not related to the Deluge would not be of interest.

BanksyBanksy Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁒󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Posts: 1

Yeh against the clock ten mins start from skratch improvised track sounds cool !

Personally don't like 24/7 streaming content. Much prefer on-demand playlists/videos.

won't force you to watch ;)
    We will continue to do things normally as well, but yeah, if there enough sick tracks out there that you can create a radio station, why not?

tonyrickerbytonyrickerby south ,pennines ukPosts: 3

Short and focused tutorials mostly.
    "how I made this tune"

BugahBugah United StatesPosts: 1

Against the clock episodes would be rad, give people 30 minutes to make a whole song with just the Deluge.

A 30 min show called "Turn Loops into Songs" would be super useful I think to everyone, you can never have enough of these tips. I have like 20 saved sketches on my Deluge but a lot of them don't turn into songs. Sometimes I try to figure out how to link all these sketches together into a single set. It's hard to know how to take a 4 bar pattern and transition between different parts of songs creatively. It could be how to dubstep, how to drum and bass, how to synthwave, how to genre. It could be how to express a feeling musically (what does frustration sound like musically? Let's find out in today's episode of...) I think it's a common problem of people noodling around, get some decent groove going, fill out the patterns a bit more and have a good start, then abandon finishing the sketch since it's hard to know what to do with a loop after listening to it for 2 hours on repeat while you tweak all the settings.

...or you could make 30 1-minute videos called "A Deluge of Tips!" and disperse them into the music TV streaming. If you do this, don't have it be like a commercial voiceover like "Hi, Person here with your Deluge tip of the day! Do you ever feel like..." because that would break the musical immersion the current radio has. Maybe some sort of tagline sample like a filtered robotic voice saying "dElUgE tIppppsss" with audio running and then it's a voiceless demo with sound playing and someone demonstrating the technique. This way it would blend in with all of the other user submitted music videos and not sound like a streaming service d-break. I sometimes just listen to Knobs videos as background noise and those are great to listen to while also being packed with tutorial-like information.

Beat competitions? Those are fun, have a live react and everyone hang out and see what was submitted. Maybe do wacky themes like trying to do a country music trap beat competition. Could give away T-Shirts or whatever to 1st place. Kenny Beats does decent ones like this. Give out some weird sample and tell people to make something using it. Give out a weird Deluge Synth / Kit Preset and tell people to use it to make a track!

Sound design show, just making the weirdest possible sounds you can on the Deluge and then posting the preset on the forum? Or the big pads, or interesting rhythm design, or how to bass series like Seamless does but on the deluge. There's a lot of resources like this however and I don't think it's nearly as entertaining as the other ideas, this is more like, stuff I have to look up when I don't know what I'm doing instead of stuff I want to tune in for. Idk if anyone else wants to tune into the solo deluge basement noise sound design show tho lol

Artist Showcase? (1 hour) or (2 30min) set streamed performance? I'd sign up to do that, it'd be fun, sort of like open-mic for the internet. If it's a prerecorded vid then you could hang out in the chat and talk about it with people as they listen.

MikeKayMikeKay Sydney, West IslandPosts: 13

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    I'll try see if I can find some coders (haha, not going to interrupt Rohans work on 3.2 for this) who might be able to give me some more control over this and see if I can pop up some more info perhaps on the right side of the clip.

Maybe reach out to Massey or Vic Uni software engineering (or creative tech) students? It's probably not enough work for course credit or a research project, but if there's a gap in the market for a tool that does this it might be an interesting challenge.

PercivalePercivale SingaporePosts: 16
    1. Mini-series on the making of Deluge (from concept to behind-the-scenes to a product known worldwide).
    2. Use of Deluge outside music making.
    3. Synthstrom Audible merchandise.
    4. Newbies and/or non-music person with their first reactions.
    volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 204

@Percivale said:
    1. Mini-series on the making of Deluge (from concept to behind-the-scenes to a product known worldwide).

Oh yes, this!

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

@Percivale said:

This is something has been worked on for quite a while, probably still at least a year or two away at least, but yeah, we have been working a documentary maker friend of ours for a while.

1. Use of Deluge outside music making.

I am trying to line up more demonstrations of its use with lighting/visuals etc.

1. Synthstrom Audible merchandise.
    2. Newbies and/or non-music person with their first reactions.

haha, all I can think of is this now,
    I think musically, to have the channel sound better, perhaps getting more experienced users reacting to new workflows?...ie, like when the grains chaps came into our office and I gave them a 5 minute demo on how euclidean was going to work and then filmed them on it. I think this could be a really nice way of introducing MPE, Wavetable, Euclidean etc when we roll them out....have videos of people being just introduced to them and seeing how they incorporate into existing workflows with no prep time.

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 55

Against the clock is always good.

And maybe a little challenge where some ppl get a few of the same samples and then lets see how they use them w/ the deluge. Something like:

or with multiple samples:

nilscreatesnilscreates nelson, nzPosts: 15

Kia ora folks,

would love to see what people can do in the hacking/modding space, from simple things like, dunno, changing the wood panels to be on an angle to tinkering with the XML presets. Unpacking the XML structure a bit and explaining what parameters and variables can be fiddled with and to what effect. Explore that space between coding and musical expression etc

In terms of performance, I like vids that overlay some explanation on what is happening as sometimes all that knob&punch wizardry can be a bit too fast to follow (bit like your promo vid). i also really need to learn how to build up a decent drop... and how people use launch groups... and how to make the most of arranger... so much depth on this device, sweating already

I would love love love to get some more insight on synthesis on the Delly and designing particular sounds, thinking of the beautiful Boards of Deluge presets that @jman81 so skilfully puts together (what is your secret?!)

Not so much interested in non-delugional stuff. As others said, there is just sooooo much out there already - at the end of the day i want to get playing rather then watching youtube :wink: