Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sequence mangling tools in song view for live playing variations.

PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105

Song view is kind of under exploited imho.

Deluge could benefit of some straight forward way to make variations out of existing sequence right from the song view.

By that I mean some tools to allow on the fly:

• Definition of start and end of loop region for each sequences.
  • Ability to change speed of sequence e.g.: /8, /4, /2, x2, x4, x4...
  • Ability to play forward/reverse
  • Define active steps / step jump of live pressed steps (in combination with zoom level would be AMAZING) like Korg Volca serie.

I made an other thread suggesting this but could only get a -1. Either I wasn't clear and someone didn't get what I meant or he or she is just against some kind of progress.

I heard that deluge focus was on live performance. These would fit very well in that perspective.

Any thought other than a simple -1 ? :wink:

Post edited by Phil on

Comments

PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105

Bump!

Don’t you miss some way to bring instant crazy jamming variations?!

HollexHollex FrPosts: 12

+1 ;)

SpiderLabSpiderLab Byron BayPosts: 18

I agree. Currently if planning long jams my 'randomness' is pre-meditated via the Song and Arranger modes. It would be nice to find a groove and slowly shift and cook it on the fly :-)

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Interesting ideas for sure! I fear they are hard to implement. doing all 4 permutations on the fly gives major headaches how to deal with sync. You need to do a manual stop/start at some point when you want get back to your original composition. Or some clever feature on the Deluge to kind of re-sync tracks nicely (Mungo Box Sync feature).

From a GUI point your suggestion should not be limited to song mode only. If you can e.g. reverse a track you will want to still hear it play in reverse when u enter track mode.

I am well aware not everybody might have the need to re-sync, surely ok for experimental or ambient kind of music.
    So, I reverse, loop whatever on track 1 which is 1 bar track. let's say there is a track 2, also 1 bar. first step of track 1 won't be played at the same time first step of track 2 is played. How to get back the sync? I used the loop feature on the xoxbox live for a few times and even worked with a Mungo Sync Box once. It was cool for some effects but for now i rather preprogram the variations i want. I still use the feature to explore variations quickly though (eg. how does it sound when i loop step 8-12).

above all, great idea for live performance and fun. however, imho should not get top priority as it seems hard to implement and there are so many requests that should be easy to implement, got massive votes and were not adressed for a long time.

ws9848ws9848 sacramentoPosts: 2
    edited March 2019

Other sequencers can do this type of thing and I have considered selling the deluge to get one but hopefully this can be done on the deluge.

Post edited by ws9848 on
    mcpepemcpepe Marbella, SpainBeta Tester Posts: 98

In my opinion, all tools/improvements done to live playing are welcome. This kind of tools are very fun to play with, in a live enviroment.

JRatronJRatron United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 13

Yes, this would be great. I have a Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator PO-33 sampler and one of the joys of it from a performance perspective is the 'FX' capability which provides 16 different mangling, stuttering, reversing type effects for applying realtime

vygervyger Portland, OR USAPosts: 13

Agreed, I end up creating extra tracks that have slight variations (either randomized or ratchets or whatever) and then manually swapping between them. It would be much quicker if I could just apply quick and dirty sequence effects to a track instead.

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

+1

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

JRatronJRatron United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 13

I'm just adding an extra +1 for this after using a Teenage Engineering OP-Z recently. It has a range of performance effects you can punch-in in realtime which make it an incredible performance tool.
    Here's a brief video (not mine) which shows what's available on the OP-Z.

They're split into drum and synth effects and work particularly well for build ups and fill-ins. One of the things I was most impressed with is the fact they also adapt the midi output of each channel on the fly.
    If we could have even a small percentage of that functionality available, that'd be brilliant.

I note that the kit track's bass drum is singled out for use with the side chain. A fill-in effect that just did an extra build up of bass drum kicks would be a nice performance tool for example :)

propellpropell NorwayBeta Tester Posts: 17

Great suggestion. :) I would add "quantized launch setting (no of bars or beats)" so that you don't have to wait for the longest track to finish its run.

FlipSosFlipSos BerlinPosts: 8

I would love to see some implementation of the punch in effects as well. That's the only thing that's missing from the deluge imho.

BrawnyBrawny UKBeta Tester Posts: 18

Coming from the Electribe 2 I realise this is something that's not as 'accessible' on the D. Saying that, the D is essentially a DAW so I know I shouldn't expect it, plus there's a lot of options to assign to an external controller. Perhaps if the probability / iteration dependence controls were able to be mapped, we could work towards those grooves some of us are craving? I'm still relatively new to the D, but do have a x0xb0x and PO-32 to enjoy for mangling for now :smiley:

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292
    edited September 2019

@propell said:
    Great suggestion. :) I would add "quantized launch setting (no of bars or beats)" so that you don't have to wait for the longest track to finish its run.

But you can mute/unmute every track at every time right now by pressing SHIFT simultaneasly :)

Post edited by Eddy on
    EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

@amiga909 said:

So, I reverse, loop whatever on track 1 which is 1 bar track. let's say there is a track 2, also 1 bar. first step of track 1 won't be played at the same time first step of track 2 is played. How to get back the sync? I used the loop feature on the xoxbox live for a few times and even worked with a Mungo Sync Box once. It was cool for some effects but for now i rather preprogram the variations i want. I still use the feature to explore variations quickly though (eg. how does it sound when i loop step 8-12).

but you can do variations right now by individual shortening a track (e.g. from 16 to 12 steps) and it is still in sync but antirhythmic.
    Even the old Yamaha AN200 had features like REVERSE and Stutter Effect in different lengths.
    If it works fine (like most of everything works on the Deluge), I would trust my ears rather than see anything on the display.

above all, great idea for live performance and fun. however, imho should not get top priority as it seems hard to implement and there are so many requests that should be easy to implement, got massive votes and were not adressed for a long time.

what is "Top of the List: RequestedFeatures" at the moment? B)

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

well, after reviewing my opinion. i still think there are more important requests for me personally.
    but i might be totally wrong its hard to implement, its true Deluge resyncs neatly when the clip length is changed.
    however, did upvote from the beginning anyway :)

@Eddy said:

what is "Top of the List: RequestedFeatures" at the moment? B)

http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2240/100-top-rated-suggestions (not updated today but guess top ten are still the same)

VoltVolt Posts: 55

Yes, the sequencer of the Deluge should be much more flexible. Great ideas here!