Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

sequencer editing: nudge individual notes left/right

2»

Comments

VoltVolt Posts: 55

Miss that always a lot when I need to time-correct chords. If there is a ie 6 note chord, it’s a lot of confusing work to move ot to another step!

rudolphrapidrudolphrapid Beta Tester Posts: 129
    edited August 2019

This was amongst the very first features I wanted to use :D I don’t get how it’s not been implemented yet. But as far as I see the support is very strong for this device so hopefully we get more tools (like this one!) sequencer wide :)

Post edited by rudolphrapid on
    rudolphrapidrudolphrapid Beta Tester Posts: 129
    edited August 2019

@Makai said:
    +1

fast intuitive nudging for individual notes would be highly appreciated. I love that you can record midi into this thing without the required quant that some machines force upon you, but being able to tweak and correct patterns with a nudge option would be great.

So this one please!
    +1

Post edited by rudolphrapid on
    pitchblenderpitchblender Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 24

Ditto +1 :)

HollexHollex FrPosts: 12

This would be so helpful...

BrawnyBrawny UKBeta Tester Posts: 18

+1 from me too.

ROGAVKAROGAVKA BerlinPosts: 9

+1 for per line notes shift (especially in kits)

SquidgyBSquidgyB United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 7

+1 again for note nudging.

Having thought about it a little, it would make sense to move Velocity to the Select knob, and move Note Probability to (press and rotate) Select. This way, the left/right/up/down knobs are freed up for simple intuitive nudging (hold step + rotate up/down/left/right for single note, press and rotate up/down/left/right for rows/columns), and note entry is also simplified - modifying velocity and probability (the two most common immediate workflow events imo) are tied to the Select knob.

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

@SquidgyB said:
    +1 again for note nudging.

Having thought about it a little, it would make sense to move Velocity to the Select knob, and move Note Probability to (press and rotate) Select. This way, the left/right/up/down knobs are freed up for simple intuitive nudging (hold step + rotate up/down/left/right for single note, press and rotate up/down/left/right for rows/columns), and note entry is also simplified - modifying velocity and probability (the two most common immediate workflow events imo) are tied to the Select knob.

seems to be a good idea - except that we all got to get new overlays

SquidgyBSquidgyB United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 7

I'm not at home so can't check properly, but I don't think there's any indication on the overlay for Velocity or Note Probability, so I think the change could be done with no modifications to the overlay - it would however mess up more experienced users' muscle memory, arguably.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited January 2020

@SquidgyB said:
    I'm not at home so can't check properly, but I don't think there's any indication on the overlay for Velocity or Note Probability, so I think the change could be done with no modifications to the overlay - it would however mess up more experienced users' muscle memory, arguably.

Good point it doesnt mess up the Synthstrom overlay. It would change the custom overlay https://www.mxpand.com/instrument-overlays/deluge-complete/, i dont have it, so i dont care :)

Question

• Should nudge indivdual notes L/R take the current zoom into account? The nudge all notes command does.

Several people said they want to micro-nudge without zooming in+out (http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/769/micro-timing-hold-note-push-turn-up-down-knob)

• Should nudge L/R always move notes by 1/64 (visible) or by whats technically possible (1/256)?

Maybe too off-topic for this thread, I'd love to have this too:
    Another related topic is imho http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/2227 "Fine Note Length Adjustment".

Post edited by amiga909 on
    rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111

@amiga909 said:

@SquidgyB said:

Good point it doesnt mess up the Synthstrom overlay. It would change the custom overlay https://www.mxpand.com/instrument-overlays/deluge-complete/, i dont have it, so i dont care :)

Question

• Should nudge indivdual notes L/R take the current zoom into account? The nudge all notes command does.

Several people said they want to micro-nudge without zooming in+out (http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/769/micro-timing-hold-note-push-turn-up-down-knob)

• Should nudge L/R always move notes by 1/64 (visible) or by whats technically possible (1/256)?

Maybe too off-topic for this thread, I'd love to have this too:
    Another related topic is imho http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/comment/2227 "Fine Note Length Adjustment".

@SquidgyB said:

Right now velocity is changed whether you hold the knob down or not. I suggest we make velocity edit exclusive to holding the knob down while holdng a note + moving the <> knob moves a note in time by one pad at the current zoom.

Also maybe im missing something but in clip mode the the time scroll move by slices the length of the current screen. Maybe we should have it behave as in arranger mode and move one pad per knob click, feels much more natural to me.

IanSainsburyIanSainsbury United KingdomPosts: 2

I'd like to add my voice to those wanting to nudge individual notes off-grid. I'm a new user - love it so far, and I knew this feature was missing when I bought it, so I won't be moaning about the fact it isn't there, but a quick method of doing this would be my top request.
    Thanks for releasing such a fresh, fun, and inspiring instrument :)

henrikmaneuverhenrikmaneuver BerlinPosts: 18

Regarding putting notes off-grid / micro timing:

For a long time I thought it was impossible until I stumbled over this video:

It turns out you can double the tempo and then halve it and repeat until you get your desired resolution. For me 1/256 does the trick.

MikkiMikki Posts: 11

@henrikmaneuver said:
    Regarding putting notes off-grid / micro timing:

For a long time I thought it was impossible until I stumbled over this video:

It turns out you can double the tempo and then halve it and repeat until you get your desired resolution. For me 1/256 does the trick.

Nice, do you know how this impacts the midi clock that the Deluge sends? Would I need to filter the clock output externally to make connected gear play at the "normal" tempo?

I don't have my Deluge yet but I agree that a quick/easy way to nudge notes with microtiming will be extremely useful.

henrikmaneuverhenrikmaneuver BerlinPosts: 18

The MIDI clock seems to behave like it should. I have with 256 resolution, tempo doubled and halved twice, and the beat indicator on my MIDI splitter is at a steady 126 BPM.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

FWIW: the procedure in this video seems a little bit overcomplicated if you're starting off with a new track.

New track: hold learn and twist tempo counter-clockwise one click. It will say 60, and the max resolution will be 128th notes. Turn another click, 30 BPM and 256ths. Etc. Then dial the tempo up to what you really want and get to work.

That said, I learned something really cool from that video, which is that if you copy a screen, change the timebase, and then paste the screen, you can speed it up / slow it down. Ron makes use of that a bunch in the video b/c changing the resolution is really just changing the wall-clock time per tick, and you compensate the tempo to get it back, if that makes sense. But that's totally useful if you've accidentally entered something in 16ths and you want it in 8ths or vice-versa.
    </Totally off-topic>

My 2C on the nudge-timing topic, though, as a newish Deluger: I really like the ease of changing the velocity, so I'd be bummed if a nudge feature made changing the velocity harder. Tweaking velocities is essential for drum/bass grooves, and it's important that it's so handy.

That said, I like the micro-nudge idea, and I'd be all down for a shortcut that let you move notes left/right at the maximum resolution. I don't know which buttons/knobs, but Rohan does. :) Learning the instrument, I really trust his UI design ideas.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@hexagon5un said:

That said, I learned something really cool from that video, which is that if you copy a screen, change the timebase, and then paste the screen, you can speed it up / slow it down. But that's totally useful if you've accidentally entered something in 16ths and you want it in 8ths or vice-versa.

Not sure if you mean something else? You can achieve that with changing the clip length. When pasting copied events the Deluge always expands/shrinks to the current screen.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

That's exactly what I mean. I mean, we mean the same thing. :) Sorry if it's not clearly explained. It's off-topic, anyway. But a cool feature.

MikkiMikki Posts: 11

@henrikmaneuver said:
    The MIDI clock seems to behave like it should. I have with 256 resolution, tempo doubled and halved twice, and the beat indicator on my MIDI splitter is at a steady 126 BPM.

OK, thanks for checking.

By the way, I noticed that the Model: Samples from Elektron has a nudge micro timing feature similar to what is being suggested here :Trig Nudge

dannytaurusdannytaurus Los AngelesBeta Tester Posts: 31

This is done now, right?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@dannytaurus said:
    This is done now, right?

Coming in 3.1 :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

This discussion has been closed.