Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Getting line in sound back from an external MIDI controlled Moog Mother 32

maartenmaarten AmsterdamPosts: 12

This maybe a very simple thing, but since I new to all of this I might be missing it.

My setup is : Deluge as the main controller. Using MIDI out from Deluge to Mother 32 MIDI in I want to control it. This all works fine. I see the MIDI light on the Moog flashing and when listening to the Moog with a headset it works.

Using a 1/4" TRS cable I want to feed the sound back into the Deluge via the Line In. This does not work. I just might have the wrong cable or I need to do something else.

Anyone knows what I do wrong?

Thanks!

Comments

Just_Peter118Just_Peter118 The NetherlandsPosts: 42
    edited July 2019

Post edited by Just_Peter118 on

Thanks, but that is not the same. Maybe it is just not possible. I want to be able to create a song where I combine a local Deluge synth track, a kit track and a Midi track. I might just need to rethink it, but what this shows me it some incoming sounds/music being used as a track. Not sure how you could sync it to a beat, etc.

Looks like you need a Octatrack :smile:

I'm sorry, can't help you with this. I know there is a lot possible with the Deluge, sometimes a bit overwhelming. But with some logic and patience we can come far. The support of Synthstrom is really fantastic.

:D Logic and patience! My key qualities! Hahaha

Just played around with this. It does produce some funky results. A bit less controllable than I thought or expected. Which is also a good thing. :p :p

Sometimes improvise can get to 'happy accidents'. The problem is that the next day you forgot what you did the day before......

SaschaSascha Posts: 9

I’m controlling a small eurorack case with the Deluge and feed the eurorack audio back into the Deluge. On the Deluge I make a synth track and place one note that spans the entire loop. Then in the new synth options I set the type to audio in. As long as the Deluge sequence is playing, audio from the eurorack is heard through this synth channel. You have to place the note on the proper key or the incoming audio will be transposed. The eurorack is controlled by a separate Delige MIDI track. Is this what you were trying to achieve?

Hi Sascha, yes.

The first part of your solution is what is shown in the video Just_Peter118 posted. The second part, using a midi track to control the Moog Mother 32 is something I haven't tried. The Moog is starting it's own sequencer as soon as I press play on the Deluge. Maybe that is enough any way. I don't want to use the sequencer on the M32. I just want to get the tone out of it.

BTW, in the video at 0:37 seconds the person mentions “everything goes straight into the mono in”. On my Deluge there is only a L/mono and R OUT (no in). I put the Moog into the Line In. That worked but might not be Line level coming out of the Moog.

Again where am I wrong?

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

Have you got another device and cable you can try this technique with to rule out the Moog and 1/4" cable as being the issue?

Hi Ian, the technique works. The only difference is that I use the Line IN. Not the Mono/Left OUT as shown in the video. In the the video this is referred to as an INPUT. Has there been a hardware change? That is where I’m confused.

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    edited July 2019

No, no hardware changes. Ron doesn't make official videos for us, he just talks off the top of his head, so often just refers to things inaccurately, or as he himself uses them. When we make videos we are a bit careful about the words we use.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

:D I do enjoy his enthusiasm and willingness to help noobs like me understand.

GeorgeRTerryGeorgeRTerry BristolPosts: 4

Did you get this working? I use my Deluge with a Mother-32 so can confirm it's def possible