Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Hold button for arp, synth notes, or samples? Also time/pitch link + looping?

austingreenaustingreen United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 7
edited June 2019 in Deluge Help

New user here and was hoping for some performance type help. I’m trying to use the deluge for random looping, pitchshifting, noodling with loops/samples as osc’s chromatically, in efforts to make ambient and musique concrete type stuff. I realize there’s a big update with audio looping coming very soon and might help me a bit with some of this.

First of all, is there a hold button for the arp? Also I very much would love more arp direction, most importantly, an “as played” mode where the arp plays the notes in the order they were played (I’ve seen the arp request thread and will add my request to it.) I’d also love to hold an arp on multiple tracks playing different sounds with different subdivision of the tempo and different directions/modes. Without having to press play or put notes on the sequencer, just kinda perform freeform with a bunch of arps (synced) and samples looping (synced or not,) is this possible already on the current or the upcoming 3.0 firmware?

So same thing as the arp I just want to jam in keyboard mode, holding/unholding synth notes randomly, or using samples as osc, playing loops, etc. maybe some of this with samples will be addressed as the audio looper but I’d love to start/stop a bunch of loops/samples randomly, pitching, slowing them down in real time, playing the loops chromatically as other loops play on different tracks.

Another problem I ran into is if I have long samples, (maybe 30 secs or even longer loops, like 1-2 mins,) loaded as osc, and I put speed/pitch on independent and mode to loop. I also will use the speed to slow down the sample quite a bit, (remember I’m trying to do a bunch of ambient and weirdness.) The sample doesn’t loop, especially if put long notes on the sequencer with a long release tail, but sample will cut off and not loop. Am I just asking too much with multiple long samples playing too many notes? Like 8 to 10 notes too much for a sample over a minute long?

Thanks for any help or insight, really loving the deluge so far especially the ease of sequencing a bunch of external synths, drum machines, with easy entry of probability, and different length tracks, etc...

Oh one last question, can a kitbtrack have different lengths for each row of a kit, like the kick goes for 2 bars but the snare goes for 4? I assume I can just make a different kit track, just wondering it’s possible within one kit.

Post edited by austingreen on

Comments

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

@austingreen said:
    First of all, is there a hold button for the arp? Also I very much would love more arp direction, most importantly, an “as played” mode where the arp plays the notes in the order they were played (I’ve seen the arp request thread and will add my request to it.) I’d also love to hold an arp on multiple tracks playing different sounds with different subdivision of the tempo and different directions/modes. Without having to press play or put notes on the sequencer, just kinda perform freeform with a bunch of arps (synced) and samples looping (synced or not,) is this possible already on the current or the upcoming 3.0 firmware?

I think this would only be possible with external controllers sending in MIDI notes on channels you've LEARNed to your Deluge tracks. (Plus you could play one synth or kit on the Deluge in keyboard mode.)

I don't recall if the arp supports adjusting the rate relative to the tempo sync (as the delay does but LFO1 does not).

Oh one last question, can a kitbtrack have different lengths for each row of a kit, like the kick goes for 2 bars but the snare goes for 4? I assume I can just make a different kit track, just wondering it’s possible within one kit.

Each track (aka clip) has a length. There's no support for varying lengths within a kit track (or any other kind).

SpiderLabSpiderLab Byron BayPosts: 18

I am having similar issues with the Cut mode for a sample. In fact I have never got Cut, Loop and Stretch to work correctly :-(
    I have chopped a completed song from Logic 44.1kHz /24 bit into 16 bar loops and as the tempo is 126 the time of each loop is 30.476 sec and exactly this many samples 01344000</

All good so far. However when I play back one sample at a time some go the full 16 bars and others to around 30 secs. I have tried using Cut, Once and Loop but they never all do the same thing. I tried to unlink pitch/speed and use Stretch but nothing ever changes (even if I play with tempo it just plays back at the same tempo).

I then took my whole track in Logic and resampled the song at 48kHz 24bit and extracted one loop. Bingo! It loops perfectly. But still no stretch.

I've only got two degrees in audio and electronics engineering. Am I not smart enough to use this thing or is something very corrupted?
    Currently on V2.1.1

SpiderLabSpiderLab Byron BayPosts: 18

FYI when I get the samples working correctly I intend to put them each into its own kit and then into 8 tracks in a song so I can play verses, intro, outro, chorus and breakdown in any order.
    Maybe I should try that now :-)