Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Track Timing / Delay

There are several suggestions regarding time offset and micro timing of notes. I would really welcome a track timing / delay function similar to the "Track Delay" function in Ableton Live:

This would allow to delay a whole track in milliseconds. From a musical standpoint this would open so many possibilities. Sometimes it adds so much groove to delay a certain element, e.g. hihats or a bass line.

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

track shift command allows to do this already? change to max zoom and
    hold down the ▼▲ knob and turn the ◄► knob

eliaselias Posts: 9

@amiga909 said:
    track shift command allows to do this already? change to max zoom and
    hold down the ▼▲ knob and turn the ◄► knob

You’re right but for example even at 140 BPM that’s way too much. It has to be in the millisecond range to be musically relevant.

highstandardshighstandards CHPosts: 56
    edited August 2019

Thank you @amiga909
    While I think it would be much more useful to have a variable on a track level like in other sequencers, because it's just weird to have to work with notes which are off the wanted grid, this sounds like a decent workaround that I will have to try.
    Another solution is to use the sequencer of the VST host and to slave sync it to the Deluge using a negative delay, but that doesn't really work for vintage hardware...

Some example delays based on BPM

• 100BPM -> 3.125 ms per tick
    • 120BPM -> 2.604 ms per tick
    • 140BPM -> 2.232 ms per tick
    Post edited by highstandards on
    amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@highstandards yeah, think I know what you mean, other sequencers allow to set an offset in milliseconds per midi port permanently. yeah, good point with about off-the-grid-notes.

a function i've never tried, from the manual. just curious if it would do what u want:
    hold down the ◄► knob and turn the tempo knob. One “click” of the tempo knob corresponds to one MIDI “clock” message, which is one 96th-note. The Deluge will blink the word “NUDGe” to indicate that the action has been performed.

So, I've tried and the jump is much bigger than I anticipated, because what I calculated above was for 1 tick, so for a 64th at 192 PPQN, we have to multiply that value by 12, which is way too much.
    And the nudge functionality only works on midi clock to keep the master and slave in sync, it won't do anything when the deluge is playing the notes and it's not per track ;)