Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge + Touchè — not registering midi cc learn

jonrileyjonriley USAPosts: 3
edited September 2018 in Deluge Help

Hi there,

I’m hoping to use my touchè to control some parameters on my deluge’s internal synth. How do I route ccs to these params? midi learn isn’t working for me.

Post edited by jonriley on

Comments

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

Which parameters are you trying to modulate? Some parameters cant be mapped to knobs, so that might be part of the problem.

Also, how are you connecting the touche to the deluge? Midi? I was just watching some videos about the touche and was thinking about getting one, but i'd like to know if it can actually work with the deluge before investing.

@rohan Are there any plans to expose Synth / FX params to midi mapping for external automation or physical controls?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@jonriley How are you doing the midi learn process ? :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

drGrovdrGrov Hampshire, UKBeta Tester Posts: 14

I just got a Touche and had a quick attempt at mapping with the Deluge. My Deluge is connected to a MIO 10 MIDI router via USB and so I just connected the Touche the same way. Then it was a "simple" case of following the manual on how to map external MIDI controllers to sound parameters. A few clicks / wobbles later and I had the Touche controlling the filter cutoff and res.

This is going to be fun...

ButtondownButtondown StockholmBeta Tester Posts: 8

@drGrov said:
    I just got a Touche and had a quick attempt at mapping with the Deluge……..

I know the thread's a bit old, but how have you found the combo?
    I'm just getting started with trying them out together, only tried it out for a few minutes.
    Did you find a good way to map the 4 inputs individually? I found it's quite easy to input 2 CCs by mistake, and I'm wondering if the solution is to use an app or another controller with those CCs for mapping parameters, and then start wobbling :)

JRatronJRatron United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 13

I have a Touche and I've really enjoyed using it for lead synth with stuff where there's presets already mapped out, like my Blofeld, but I've found it a pain in the backside to map it to other stuff :/
    Unless it's for temporarily bringing in an effect or something, most settings (like filter cutoff for example) don't want to spring back to zero when you let go of the Touche, so you kinda need to go back and forth a few times to set and then fine tune the parameters in a way that doesn't ruin your sound.
    Mapping via midi learn is easier if you separate things out, so create a Touche profile where you only have a setting on up/down and not left/right, then you can be sure you're only outputting 1 cc to learn with each movement. Then swap to a more complex profile for playing.

If I were a professional user with loads of time on my hands, I'd spend a few hours setting it all up nicely for whatever song I was producing/performing, and I'm sure it'd be a brilliant tool, but as a casual user making music for fun in my limited spare time, I find it a time consuming fiddly faff which ends up with my Touche gathering dust I'm afraid...

I'd be very happy for someone to prove me wrong, but that's my experience.

ButtondownButtondown StockholmBeta Tester Posts: 8

@JRatron said:

Thank you! The single-CC profile is such an obvious solution, but I completely overlooked it. I tried messing around with on/off curves, but the deluge still picked up CC as soon as the Touché sensors did.

You point about not reverting to 0 concerns me a bit though :/
    I'll keep exploring and if i manage a setup that works as a template I'll be sure to share the XML and settings

JRatronJRatron United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 13

@Buttondown said:
    You point about not reverting to 0 concerns me a bit though :/
    I'll keep exploring and if i manage a setup that works as a template I'll be sure to share the XML and settings

Don't get me wrong, it's no issue if you're aware of it :) When you set up the Touche, it's very easy to make a profile which returns to, for example 50% when you let go. The hassle is just that you need to test it out, change the setting, tweak it a little more, update the setting, until you get it where you like, and this takes time to get right and might be totally different when you change to a different Synth preset.
    But it's very rewarding if you get it right, then you too can be jamming along like Arthur Bouflet :)