Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Configuration menu option for global default velocity

manysoundsmanysounds The GunksBeta Tester Posts: 43

Basically because 100 is a better starting point and (generally) the default velocity on many other instruments. It could diminish the number of "the deluge has low levels" type of complaints.
From a mixing engineer's perspective this makes way more sense to me. 64 would be like having your faders at -20db. I know the numbers don't quite correlate but I think I made my point.

Comments

llexamllexam USABeta Tester Posts: 73

The default velocity of 64 is because of the internal gain staging inside the Deluge. Putting all samples and synths at velocity 100 will quickly result in internal clipping and overdriving the LPF.
    However, I do think it's a good option for MIDI, or for people who want it anyway (like me).

manysoundsmanysounds The GunksBeta Tester Posts: 43
    edited May 2019

Definitely for MIDI, yes.
    I don't see myself overloading the gain stage/filter as I'm usually a minimalist but I understand how a new user could easily get into overdriving the outputs.
    Also, I'd rather turn things down to clean up a mix rather than turn things up to make them more apparent in a mix. Like a mix engineer's subtractive EQ is (usually) a better option than boosting frequencies.

Post edited by manysounds on
    ChrisfreeqChrisfreeq NorwayPosts: 25
    edited June 2019

The other problem with that, which I find myself doing a lot, is say when making a drum kit, you adjust all your sounds such that they sound perfect. Say you even made a beat with the kit. Then hook up a MIDI controller to record new sections or whatever, and guess what, CLIPPING!! It does make more sense to have the default at 100 and adjusting OCS levels etc thereafter. Because if not, using a controller is gonna give you surprises. I can't imagine most people playing drums from a controller at vel 64.

EDIT:
    In case of the LPF, perhaps redo the Drive to respond differently, or have a threshold setting for that as well.

Post edited by Chrisfreeq on
    amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited June 2019

good point.

this request doesnt reflect on the feature velocity for the onboard keyboard/audition pads depends on the last entered value.
    already mentioned in a top rated request http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/283/global-defaults-menu#latest

@llexam said:

The default velocity of 64 is because of the internal gain staging inside the Deluge. Putting all samples and synths at velocity 100 will quickly result in internal clipping and overdriving the LPF.
    However, I do think it's a good option for MIDI, or for people who want it anyway (like me).

was discussed, it is true the Deluge is rather "hot" but I consider it as poor preset programming if a sound distorts when played with max velocity. i dont think it is a good idea, to avoid using high velocity values with the Deluge and to remap incoming midi data to achieve that. i have changed many default presets to work when played via midi by lowering the volume.

Post edited by amiga909 on