Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Just plain, simple Audio Thru please!

This seems like a no brainer to me. My favorite method of sampling is to sit down and let the audio run through the sampler while I listen for the moments that I wish to sample. Currently, even with the 1.2 update, there is no way to do this on the Deluge without an external mixer or splitter of some kind. Within the "monitoring" setting screen the available settings right now are "smart," "on," and "off." I think a "thru" option in this section would be very useful. Bonus points if you can apply internal effects to audio thru.

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but I believe you can just use the so-called Resampling feature to achieve what you want :)

Make a new kit to sample to. Treat the first pad a 'blank' - just load any whatever sample, then go to the Sound editor and set the OSC1 type to IN.
    Then enter a C3 note, and make it a 'drone' (hold the leftmost pad as you enter a note, and press the rightmost pad).
    Hit PLAY, and run your audio through - now you can press Shift + Record whenever you wish to sample as you go :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

DocRomplerDocRompler Pittsburgh PAPosts: 20

@Icoustik said:
    I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but I believe you can just use the so-called Resampling feature to achieve what you want :)

Make a new kit to sample to. Treat the first pad a 'blank' - just load any whatever sample, then go to the Sound editor and set the OSC1 type to IN.
    Then enter a C3 note, and make it a 'drone' (hold the leftmost pad as you enter a note, and press the rightmost pad).
    Hit PLAY, and run your audio through - now you can press Shift + Record whenever you wish to sample as you go :)

Wow. This is a very clever workaround. It actually works! I didn’t realize you could change the oscillator type to anything other than sample within a kit. Thanks!

@DocRompler said:

@Icoustik said:

Wow. This is a very clever workaround. It actually works! I didn’t realize you could change the oscillator type to anything other than sample within a kit. Thanks!

Edit: Your suggestion does work for kit tracks but it is not possible within the synthesizer. Here’s what I mean. Currently I have it set up so that my midi keyboard is sending midi into the Deluge on which midi thru is set to “on.” The midi from the keyboard is sent through the Deluge and into a synth module that I want to use as the audio in source for one of the oscillators within the synth. In theory this would allow me to use the synth module as an oscillator. However, the Deluge is set to transpose incoming audio according to the notes it has sequenced. Basically what this means is that the notes I play on the keyboard triggers both the Deluge and the external synth but the audio that comes into the Deluge is transposed and the pitches don’t match up since the Deluge assumes the audio coming in is a C3 even if it isn’t. I don’t want it to be transposed, I just want the audio to come though unaltered so that I can use the external synth as an oscillator. Thus my request for just plain audio thru as an oscillator without transposition.

edited October 2017

Ok, so for sampling it works, but not for this ?

Can u describe once more exactly what it is you want to achieve ? :)

If u want to use the external synth as u say, u're not using it as an oscillator, u're using it just as an audio in/ thru.
    Why do you want it in a synth track if you're not gonna transpose anyway?
    Can't u just take the synth track, enter one drone note, then play the external synth? If u want to record the playing, u could just resample.

Or maybe I'm way off :)

Post edited by Icoustik on

BUT, yes a plain audio thru would be nice in any case! :D

@Icoustik said:
    Ok, so for sampling it works, but not for this ?

Can u describe once more exactly what it is you want to achieve ? :)

If u want to use the external synth as u say, u're not using it as an oscillator, u're using it just as an audio in/ thru.
    Why do you want it in a synth track if you're not gonna transpose anyway?
    Can't u just take the synth track, enter one drone note, then play the external synth? If u want to record the playing, u could just resample.

Or maybe I'm way off :)

I think I’m just not really describing what I’m trying to do very well. I appreciate the effort to understand though. Let me try to make it more clear.

Imagine that a synth track on the Deluge can send out midi note messages. If it could then you would be able to sequence the Deluge’s internal synth and an external synth with the same sequence simultaneously. So if a sequence is playing in this case then both the Deluge and the external synth are playing the exact same notes at the same time. (You can simulate this with an external midi keyboard by setting midi thru on the Deluge to “on” and setting the external synth and the Deluge to the same midi channel. Thus the Deluge and the external synth are triggered simultaneously by the keyboard)

Now imagine that you plug the external synth into the audio input on the Deluge and set one of the oscillators in the Deluge to “audio in” and the other to sawtooth. As it stands right now the Deluge automatically attempts to transpose incoming audio from C3 to whichever note its sequencer is playing. What this means in practice is that the pitch of the sawtooth with not match with the pitch of the incoming audio from the synth unless the note being played is a C3. Basically the pitch of the incoming audio is way off because the automatic transposition uses C3 as a reference point, even if you’re not playing a C3.

If you could simply turn transposition off (i.e. simple audio thru) then the pitch of the internal synth would match that of the external synth. This would allow you to use the external synth as an oscillator without pitch issues. Of course, however, right now the Deluge can’t send midi out from a synth track so you would have to do this with an external keyboard and midi thru. It it could, though, this would be a really powerful way to combine the Deluge with external gear.

Is this any clearer or did I just make it worse?

workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222

so-- you want the deluge to control the notes of the synth by midi, not the notes of the audio coming through, so you can just use one track instead of one for the midi note control and another for the audio in-- correct?

@workergray said:
    so-- you want the deluge to control the notes of the synth by midi, not the notes of the audio coming through, so you can just use one track instead of one for the midi note control and another for the audio in-- correct?

Yes. Exactly. If a synth track could send midi out and use un-transposed audio in as an oscillator that would achieve what I’m looking for.

Yeah, I see what u mean bro-man :)

that would only work if you were using 1 external synth at a time as audio input. assuming multiple devices were sub-mixed back to the deluge input, all the audio input from all the external devices would be coming out of all the audio-through channels for each midi track (max 16). that might get out of control very fast

@workergray said:
    that would only work if you were using 1 external synth at a time as audio input. assuming multiple devices were sub-mixed back to the deluge input, all the audio input from all the external devices would be coming out of all the audio-through channels for each midi track (max 16). that might get out of control very fast

Well... yeah but I’m not looking to run more than one synth through the Deluge simultaneously. That’s what mixers are for. Just 1 will do. I suppose theoretically you could do this with more than one but that’s not really my point.

however, this could free-up a mixer channel (or 1 stereo channel) and allow for deluge-type control and effects over a particular, perhaps beloved external synth.

I'll upvote this. could come in handy!

Thanks!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    edited October 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 98

+1 for audio thru

www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

rpc9943rpc9943 New York usaBeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 184

TOTALLY need this. Especially now that I have an octatrack. I want to be able to audition samples im loading in while I am not playing. Maybe a mode that would be overriden when the audio in osc is used?

poldensteinpoldenstein italyBeta Tester Posts: 43

+1

VoltVolt Posts: 55

+1 for a simple audio through function.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

yeah, i ll chime in again too for input thru.

suggestion:
    shift + volume to set the input thru volume

on boot input is always monitored, to silence turn shift + volume to zero.
    when recording input thru acts as a input level knob, input thru is disabled. the 3 monitoring modes (on,off,smart) should work as they do now. this would solve the problem of sampling sources that are not loud enough.

YogiYogi GermanyPosts: 16

If you could only set Envelope1/Release to NEVER (50 is max now, takes some seconds) you could still listen forever to the input after runing the track only once. Simple solution ,-)

VoltVolt Posts: 55
    edited April 2018

No, your release option wouldn’t be a solution. This doesn’t replace a simple audio thrugh behavior, because you still need to have a fake track in your song to manipulate the release of the signal.

When it comes to arrange some patterns for a song structure, you are forced to duplicate the fake track to every(!!) pattern variation to be still able to hear the audio input... this will end up in a huge amount of fake tracks and will make the song overview much more unclearly as it unfortunately already is.

Post edited by Volt on
    YogiYogi GermanyPosts: 16

Thats right, its more a plan B. I had to use such a dummy track on my monomachine every time. If only the effects would not stop on the deluge whenever you change a pattern - then this would be a real workaround and very easy to implement, i guess.

krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70

+1 for Audio Thru B)

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

Agreed - I think we need more sampling options generally, threshold based and also the ability to record loops from external hardware without going through the workaround of setting up a drone note etc etc. Ideally the option to audition/discard multiple 'takes' of the same loop though this might be pushing it UI-wise on the Deluge.

I know there are other FRs for these but they all fit in the same 'group' to my mind. I always liked FXPansion Geist for sampling, its options just seemed right to me and the whole process very intuitive. It was much better than Maschine.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

TrippyTrippy Milky WayPosts: 7

Yes please!

rpc9943rpc9943 New York usaBeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 184

Now that we have arranger in 2.0 we really need this. It can be exhausting to try to compose or figure something out every time having to draw in line in. Currently I have to add the line in oscillator. Maybe it could have a setting to auto enable it so that it can remain on, but if you add a track with an audio in oscillator, it would disable. The reason for this is if you wanted gating effects, it would have to be disabled. If you remove a track with audio in osc, it would enable again.

FaschingsPrinzFaschingsPrinz ViennaPosts: 21
    edited June 2018

connect external signal to Line-in.

create new track
    click Select
    set OSC1 type to "in"
    set Volume to 50

make a drone track with constant C3 note.
    Use other notes if you want input to be pitch-shifted

hit play
    ... input is routed through

Is this what you want ?

Post edited by FaschingsPrinz on
    muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

I think most people here know how to do this, they are saying it's a bit of a PITA having to set up this 'fake' synth with a drone note etc. Most samplers I've used have at least three sampling modes - standard 'hit record' (as the Deluge has now), threshold based, and 'loop based' where the sample is synced to tempo/bar length. You can do the latter with the 'drone note' workaround but it's pretty clunky.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

First synth patch i saved was osc type line in so that its preset 0a.
    Anytime i want line in, I hit synth new, scroll back 1 to 0a, and tap a line acros c3, n its done. Pretty painless. But yea not needing a track at all if your just going to only have a line in always without any changes to it. But i like having it there nested in a osc so i can treat it like n audio track.
    Threshold sampling tho +1. Direct line in also +1. But as it is, i can live with too.

This discussion has been closed.