Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Anti echo feature (midi track option)

For synths and drum machines with a keybed or pads to trigger its own sound(s), you can assign their keybed/pads to the Deluge midi track and record & loop by playing their own keys/pads.

This works nice, but there is 1 problem: the Deluge sends the incoming signal immediately back to the synth/drum machine. This means, every key/pad you press will trigger its note twice (with a very time between them).
For pads/leads etc you won't really notice this, but for short/percussive sounds, you will.
Now some synths have a feature to disconnect its own keybed/pads to the internal sound engine ("Local Off", or similar), so every note will only be triggered once by the Deluge. But not all of them have this feature.

My suggestion: an option to activate "anti echo", in the settings of a midi track. With this setting activated, received notes (midi in) on this midi track are not transmitted to midi out, but they still can be recorded.

Comments

krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70

+1
    I would like to add an Roland SH01A (which has no local off mode) to my Deluge

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

yeah, makes sense, usually called "Midi Thru" on/off.

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157
    edited October 2018

@amiga909 said:

That's different. (And there already is a midi thru on/off option)

It should be configurable per track.

Also, if there is ever going to be an option to use a global midi ''master" keyboard or something like that, it should only block midi going out when it is coming from the same midi channel as the midi output channel. Or only the assigned midi channel.

Just similar to the Squarp Pyramid, but configurable per track.

Post edited by MPrinsen on
    amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@MPrinsen said:

@amiga909 said:

That's different. (And there already is a midi thru on/off option)

It should be configurable per track.

Also, if there is ever going to be an option to use a global midi ''master" keyboard or something like that, it should only block midi going out when it is coming from the same midi channel as the midi output channel. Or only the assigned midi channel.

Just similar to the Squarp Pyramid, but configurable per track.

yes, overlooked that, thanks for correcting.

I just wanted to add:

I'm also having issues with midi CC messages:

When I "learn" a synth to a midi track in the Deluge, in order to record/loop record the midi played by the synth's keyboard, when I tweak a knob, it also makes the sound crackle a little bit, because it is sending and receiving midi cc at the same time. This is especially audible when doing a filter sweep: it sounds very steppy.

So if an anti echo is being added, please also include midi CC messages!

Oh and of course, it should be saved within a midi profile (upcoming feature)! :)

Just want to bump this as I'm still struggling with how to deal with this...