Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How to connect Novation LaunchControl XL

stephencarrstephencarr CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 14

I have a LaunchControl XL which frustratingly only has USB out for communicating MIDI and drawing power. Unfortunately the Deluge does not provide power over USB and I don't want to stretch for a Kenton USB MIDI host which isn't an inexpensive purchase and hard to find here in Canada.

I am not actually 100% sure if the Deluge can send/receive Midi via USB, and if it does could I simply use a powered USB hub to join the LaunchControl to the Deluge while providing it power. Being able to map all those lovely knobs and faders to the Deluge would be a joy!

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

In the upcoming 3.0 update, the Deluge can act as a USB-midi host and provide USB power when power is supplied to the Deluge via the 9-12V input :)

Until then, you'd need an external host, yes.
    This is probably the cheapest option:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

As a side note here, when I plug in a 12v power supply the Deluge does not show the green light to indicate it has power. I am not sure if this is a defect or if I've done something wrong.

Tricep3Tricep3 United KingdomPosts: 20

Hi Stephen,

I have my LaunchControl XL hooked up to my deluge and it works great!

I use a Raspberry Pi 3 model b+ as a USB host. It takes a bit of setting up but it's pretty simple to do. I'll give you a quick summary of that helps:

You need to buy:
    1 x Raspberry Pi 3 model b+ Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BDR5PDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qda2Cb8JF1WYR

1 x Raspberry Pi case
    Something like this Raspberry Pi 3 Case - Black/Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F1PSFY6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fka2CbHS95VH3

1 x micro SD card at least 4GB

1 x micro usb power cable with 2A output

Follow the instructions labeled "easy instructions" on this website:

https://neuma.studio/rpi-as-midi-host.html

I tried following the "complete instructions" but it didn't work so I'd recommend sticking to the easy instructions.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on this, I'm just relaying the information on that website really so credit goes to Fabio Barbon and his colleagues at Neuma Studio.

I've included a photo of my setup. In the photo I've got a battery pack powering the raspberry pi rather than a mains power supply. I did however find that my battery pack can't deliver enough power to power the LaunchControl and charge the Deluge so eventually the Deluge runs out of battery. When the Raspberry Pi is plugged into the mains though this isn't a problem.

Of course you could just wait until the next firmware release in August when the Deluge will become a USB host and you could just plug the LaunchControl straight into the Deluge.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers

edited May 2019

Wow, that's a neat solution, thank you for the wonderful reply. I ended up booking up an iPad with a usb hub. The iPad becomes the usb host and I can route the LaunchControl from there. The iPad also gives me some interesting options for iPad hosted synths. Ultimately I think the v3 update will give me the paired down solution I am after though.

Post edited by stephencarr on
    RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

Raspberry pi users: check out patchbox by blokas labs it's an easy way to get a usb hub up and going..

If anyone's interested the pisound hat for pi's is also a good soundcard soultion for the raspberry pi. Techobear has just released Orac for the pi and a host of multable instruments module ports ..so you can use the pi to process the deluge through rings clouds or pure data reverbs etc

Any links for the uninitiated? I am curious!

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

@stephencarr said:
    Any links for the uninitiated? I am curious!

https://blokas.io/pisound/

Check the forums for use cases.
    Modduo clone , pure data patches,organelle clone , Orac , and remote patching via android

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@stephencarr said:
    As a side note here, when I plug in a 12v power supply the Deluge does not show the green light to indicate it has power. I am not sure if this is a defect or if I've done something wrong.

Just make sure it's not a center-positive plug, it needs to be a center-negative one. Wrong polarity is not good :p

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

edited May 2019

Just make sure it's not a center-positive plug, it needs to be a center-negative one. Wrong polarity is not good :p

I just read that in the manual, luckily I don't think I did any damage. Kind of weird that it uses a pedal power supply and not center positive like other gear. Maybe this is to deal with noise on the outlet or something like that??

Post edited by stephencarr on
    harrykaufmanharrykaufman AmsterdamPosts: 14

@Tricep3 said:
    Hi Stephen,

I have my LaunchControl XL hooked up to my deluge and it works great!

Looks like a lot of fun! I'm considering a LaunchControl XL now B) Could you explain how you usually assign the controls of your LaunchControl to the Deluge? Faders for volumes of tracks? Do the 'track select' buttons do something? Do you perform live with it?

Hi harrykaufman,

It's super easy to do! Select the parameter you want to assign (shift + shortcut button on the 128 pads) then hold down the learn button while moving the fader or pot of your choice on the LaunchControl. If you want to unassign it press shift and learn.

You can use the assign all the soft buttons on the LaunchControl to functions on the deluge if you want too in the same way described above. You could use them for one shot percussion triggers or to mute/unmute tracks or even to launch groups of tracks with the audition buttons in song mode.

I generally use the LaunchControl for playing live and it works really well. It's great for fading in multiple tracks at once with one hand while sweeping a filter with the other hand.

D_MapacheD_Mapache HamburgPosts: 4

Hey Tricep3

I am wondering how the Launch control xl is working in live sets with deluge:

When you switch to the next track, the potentiometer positions of the XL remain the same, so that the next time you move the potentiometer, the Midi value of the connected Deluge parameter jumps to the position of the potentiometer? How do you solve that problem? Is there a button-catch-mode with deluge that I‘m missing?

Hi D_Mapache,

When switching to a new song the parameter values remain the same as they were when the song was saved. Then when a fader or pot that is assigned to a parameter is moved on the XL, the parameter jumps to that value. So when performing live there can be jumps in parameter values if you're not careful. But this is generally a problem for most midi controllers and not specific to a midi controller linked to the deluge. This problem goes away when using endless encoders (pots) and motorised faders, but the deluge doesn't support two way midi (i.e. sending midi information out to move the position of an endless encoder or motorised fader if a parameter value is changed on the deluge).

What I generally do is to give the pot or fader a tiny amount of movement in the correct location to flick the parameter value around by 1 to ensure its about the right value before launching the synth or kit that it is assigned to.

I would also recommend generally using the same pots and faders for the same purposes across songs to build your muscle memory and also to label your LaunchControl.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

stefan01stefan01 DeutschlandPosts: 5

hey guys, now it should be easy to connect launchpad and Deluge, but how? I found no suitable cable with usb b male on each side. Do you know any solution? Does such a cable exist?

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Hi @stefan01 you need an adapter for this purpose: USB Type A-Female to B-Male, its about five bucks on ebay.
    https://synthstrom.com/product/usb-type-a-female-to-b-male-adaptor/

stefan01stefan01 DeutschlandPosts: 5

Hi @Heptagen thanks a lot for your help. I didn't find this. I have ordered a launchpad and I'm corious how it works with the Deluge.