Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Cable/setup for new "USB MIDI Host functionality"

The newsletter contains the following
"With the right cable or adapter, firmware 3.0 lets you connect a USB MIDI controller directly to the Deluge's USB port, with no computer or hub needed. The Deluge will provide power to the connected device so long as the Deluge itself is receiving DC power."

1) DC power as in only via the 2nd power plug which accepts 9-12V?
2) Are you aware of special cables which would allow connecting the Deluge to both a midi controller and a computer for midi in/out
3) Will it work with hubs? If yes, I assume, a powered hub would be required?
4) Will attached controllers get CC for visual feedback in real time? Useful when connecting a Midi Fighter Twister per example

Comments

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    1. Yes.
    2. You'll need to get a USB Male A to Female B adaptor (should cost a buck or so from any electronics store)
      3/4. We're not discussing full functionality yet. The video/post was a 'tease'. Stay tuned for more information about what it does in the near future.

Thank you Ian!

NorisNoris AustriaPosts: 38

This is very interesting! Maybe there is a little chance to connect/power a USB midi device AND additionally charge the Deluge via USB (I’m thinking about a USB splitter y-cable)?

pbolgerpbolger ChristchurchPosts: 61

While we are mucking around changing the front panel, would it be feasible to change the USB from a Female B to a USB-C?

udelugeudeluge germanyPosts: 61

@Noris said:
    This is very interesting! Maybe there is a little chance to connect/power a USB midi device AND additionally charge the Deluge via USB (I’m thinking about a USB splitter y-cable)?

I would like to know if it's safe to power the deluge and the USB midi device from the same USB power source (power bank) or do I need to cut the +5V from the USB Male A to Female B adaptor?

facebook is evil

72versions72versions Auckland NZBeta Tester Posts: 39
    edited August 2019

The Deluge will provide power to the connected device so long as the Deluge itself is receiving DC power."

Seems strange not to allow battery power to usb midi? I imagine a Korg nanoKONTROL wouldn't use much power. Would be great for gigs or jams not worrying about yet another power adaptor...

Post edited by 72versions on
    pitchblenderpitchblender Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 24

A future suggestion to avoid the USB adapter sticking out like a wobbly 'please knock me and lose your data or short the Deluge or damage the thing' afterthought - buy a short right-angle USB male A to female A extension cable (plus the mentioned adapter) so everything is compact and secure at the back of the Deluge. I'm using a common right angled male USB A to male USB B for charging and as a bonus it also protects the on/off switch from accidentally being switched off!
    Can't find a cable though with the required ends on it yet, if one exists at all...
    I'm probably going to velcro the adapter to the side of the Deluge (if I can find a cable short enough) or even splice a cable together from old broken ones once I know what the score is with v3.x.
    You could also get the more common USB A male to B male cable and use a female to female USB B adapter on the B end of that...
    All theoretical so far, but I want to fit my D into a Peli case with minimal extraneous dongle hassle...

@pitchblender said:

You could also get the more common USB A male to B male cable and use a female to female USB B adapter on the B end of that...
    All theoretical so far, but I want to fit my D into a Peli case with minimal extraneous dongle hassle...

The female to female adapter on the a/b cable is a good idea, as an adapter direct in the deluge with another plug can put some mechanical force on the deluges usb jack.

When you find the right Peli case, please post it here!

facebook is evil

pitchblenderpitchblender Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 24

When you find the right Peli case, please post it here!

Got an old Peli 1090 without lining which I'm lining with thin camping mat foam and mounting a KMI Quneo in the lid, once this new firmware is out and it all works with minimal external bloat-tech. The Deluge already fits well with a little foam protecting it but I don't need the many inches of foam around it like standard Pelis.

According to the www data here are the dimensions;
    DELUGE: 305 x 208 x 46 mm
    PELI 1090: 381 x 287 x 49 mm

so there's room for a powerpack / USB hub / junction box or whatever at the side.
    It is tight, and the main rotaries do click down when I close the Peli, but it's the best I can do for the size/weight/cash and as long as I don't chuck it off a bridge it's good for my purposes.

I have also used a USB MIDI host box with the deluge's MIDI sockets but it's a bit big and might need another case with extra controllers/kit if I can't do what I want with a standalone Deluge/Quneo box. The Quneo is virtually indestructible and very thin, and can have 12 banks of MIDI control presets (easily switchable too), with 3 or 4 variables per quasi-slider/knob (note, pressure & CC, with X & Y on the pads) so it's pretty expressive but needs lots of practice to get the fullest out of it. Maybe stick an iPad in the lid for plugin pleasure, or even an old iphone...

I also have a few other MIDI controllers I'm going to test with USB hub; Korg nanoKontrol especially for mixer levels, a couple of Faderfoxes for synth sound design, ROLI blocks for...er... TBC! I wish MPE were implemented too. All of my kit is secondhand too and the only reason I could afford a Deluge was my govt giving me tax back on 2 jobs...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Thanks! I'll look for the Peli 1090. I'm using a Magma 48003 at the moment and there is no space left for accessories. It's ok and I can put it in this bag: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32973576361.html but not as stable as a peli case.

facebook is evil