Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Separate Audio for Live use

MoneyKennyMoneyKenny CanadaPosts: 10

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to perform live (using the Deluge) and I just wanted to throw out a kind of question to those who also use the Deluge live. I'm using both the drum kit and synth engine simultaneously, and want to really separate these sounds for better clarity live (sometimes things get "muddy" if there's a lot going through 1 audio channel). I'm going to be going DI with the drum kit, and into an amp for the synth engine. What I've done is a hard pan left to all the drum tracks and used the Left output to go DI with the drums, and a hard pan right for all the synth tracks and used the Right output to go into my amp. With stereo style effects applied to different tracks, sometimes this means effects will come in and out of the opposite channels (it's not extreme - pretty manageable). I'm just curious to hear how others treat their live setup and if anyone else has tried to separate sound in this manner. I've seen the 1010Music Blackbox coming out in May has 4 audio outputs (which is nice!), but not nearly as capable or intuitive to me as the Deluge. Are there are some other workarounds I'm not aware of to achieve better separation, fidelity and clarity? How does everyone treat their signals live?

Peacefully and Curiously,

~~~

Comments

iFreilichtiFreilicht GermanyPosts: 39
    edited April 2019

I only record and separate outs would be really cool for that as well.
    Unfortunately, there's no other way to separate other than hard panning, effectively going into mono mode. There's no other separate busses in the deluge.
    If you have gear that can separate out the center channel, you could get an additional output from that if you use sounds with no stereo whatsoever on that.

I also saw the blackbox and was reaaaaaaally excited for a while, until I found out it is just a sampler, no synthesis going on at all. But I really dig the connectivity, compactness and even the UI seems pretty good to me.

Post edited by iFreilicht on
    amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Yeah, thats how it is. For production i'd export all clips to wavs and import to a DAW (auto render a Song to single wavs is on the Deluge roadmap and will eventually come). For live i care less (loudness helps) that much but getting a good mix is always a struggle for me. More onboard fx for a "mastered sound" (3 band EQ, compressor, maximizer, ..) would help a lot.

I use the EQ and pan a lot to separate instruments in the mix. The instrument effect chain helps i feel. For example in a drum kit different sounds have their own filter, EQ + pan. Then, the entire kit has some subtle affect-entire filter, EQ + pan as well, gives me a more "bundled" sound between instruments.
    I am not a mixing guru by any means, would be happy to get insights by mastering wizards.

@iFreilicht said:
    I also saw the blackbox and was reaaaaaaally excited for a while, until I found out it is just a sampler, no synthesis going on at all. But I really dig the connectivity, compactness and even the UI seems pretty good to me.

Yeah, display and audio I/O is better than the Deluge. no synthesis: no VA or no granular kind of stuff. havent found details, guess they add the fx from their fxbox https://1010music.com/product/fxbox-performance-effects-module, so its some kind of synthesis involved. was interested too but i'd prefer an Empress Zoia or a Moddevices Mod Duo X.

MoneyKennyMoneyKenny CanadaPosts: 10

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll just stick to hard panning (and I'll be feeding things through a hardware compressor too). I think it'll work just fine.

As for the Blackbox, there's also something about the os design of it all that turns me off. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I don't think it's for me anyhow.

Cheers~

SpiderLabSpiderLab Byron BayPosts: 18

Well I am performing live with Deluge and am facing its audio limitations.
    First Step is luckily I use a Eurorack which contains a 1010Music Bitbox. Deluge drives a preset of 16 samples per song via Midi. Much better quality and easier to manage than Deluge samples.
    Second step is to get the drums outta there so I have just bought a Roland TR8S which gives me total control.
    That effectively leaves the Deluge as a Synth and Midi controller. Hence I can now balance my mix with bass on a Minibrute2S, Bitbox samples, TR8S drums and Deluge synths and Eurorack leads - Perfect!