Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Loading all samples to a kit - Screen shows CANT

The documentation says to do this to load all samples in a folder into a kit

To quickly import all audio files within a folder, create a new kit as above,
but when selecting your file, press and hold down on the select knob. You can do
this either while “looking at” one of the files within the folder, or the
folder’s name itself. A context menu will appear, with options you may select
from by turning the select knob. Select the “ALL” option by pressing down on the
select knob again.

When I do this in the folder where all my samples are, I just see "CANT" on the LCD screen.

Do the samples have to be named in any specific way for this to work?

Comments

MikeShogunaiMikeShogunai EdinburghPosts: 8

I am also having issues with this. "Cant" appears to show if there is already a sample in the Kit and I try to use the "All" function. It doesn't do this when I make a new kit from scratch, however it also doesn't load in the full folder of samples. I do get the "All" command, however it just gives me a "UnSU" message, which I am guessing means unsupported... When I look through the folder I have made, on the deluge (which contains 8 x 24/44.1 samples, all of which are less than two seconds long), there is one sample that it seems to think is "UnSU". Could this be the problem? What could possibly be making the sample "UnSU"? Help would be appreciated, I/we are following the manual down to the letter and it's getting us nowhere... @rohan

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

yeah, if one sample cannot be loaded, ALL fails.
    all special load modes (Slicer, All) only work if the kit is initialized.
    thats how it is. wished it was more flexible too.

there is a bash script for cleaning up the samples directory https://github.com/amiga909/deluge-synthstrom-utils (samplefixer.sh), you can use it to analyze your sample directory. currently i dont recommend to run it in write mode as Deluge supports more sample bitdepths since 2.1.

if you want you can upload the UnSU sample and I can have a look at it.
    If you want a quick fix just open that sample in a wave editor and export to a new sample, will fix the issue.

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

@hangnef was it a new blank kit?

@MikeShogunai there must be something wrong with that one file. You say it was created by the Deluge? What SD card are you using? Can the file be played on a computer?

Yep, all files are normal wav files and completely playable from computer. Its very strange! Using a SanDisk Ultra 64gb, configured for the deluge. I will try just now with other kits I have been making today and see if it was just a one off. Just to clarify, if there is something wwrong with one of the files in the folder I am trying to load all from, will this prevent the process? Cheers :smile:

Didnt see your post at first Amiga, cheers! Yeah I kinda figured this was what was going on, I have loaded a bunch of other homemade kits and the function worked as described, somehow it must just be an corrupted file. All good, cheers for the help peeps :smiley:

@rohan said:
    @hangnef was it a new blank kit?

@MikeShogunai there must be something wrong with that one file. You say it was created by the Deluge? What SD card are you using? Can the file be played on a computer?

So this is getting pretty strange. I have now found a whole bunch of files that the deluge seems to think are unsupported... All of them are completely playable in every DAW and Audio player I have (Ableton, Studio One, Foobar, Winamp, VLC etc etc). They were all transfered onto the SD card flawlessly and easily. In short there is no logical reason for them not to be read by the deluge - it even displays the file name after it shows the "UnSU" message. I have spent quite a lot of time building these kits (about 50 in total) from my sample libraries and would really like to figure out a solution... @Rohan I can make a video of this for you and send you the specific files that are not playing ball if you think it would help? Cheers

@MikeShogunai yes please just send me some of the files and I'll see what their deal is. rohan@synthstrom.com

Thanks!

That's them sent over. Another little bit of background, I have made these kits from my favourite sample packs... The Breaktweaker and Ghost Syndicate libraries are where these unsupported files exclusively come from, where as my Goldbaby and Samplephonics libraries have not yeilded one broken file so far... I am putting this here as reference for other people who might use these sample libraries an experience the same issues. Hopefully you can see something about them that I can't! Cheers again :smile:

Hey @MikeShogunai thanks for the files! What software did you use to create these? (I'll be red-faced if they were recorded by the Deluge!)

The problem is that their "compression code" is an unrecognized value - 0xFE. Whereas normally it'd be 0x01 for linear "integer" files, or 0x03 for floating-point. I haven't seen any files like this before.

PlisskenPlissken Toronto Posts: 2

I had a similar problem, and I know some of the problem files (WAVs) were created by Compressor on the Mac. Weirdly, when I used compressor to turn them into AIFFs, those files worked fine.

DillonDillon SeattleBeta Tester Posts: 4

@rohan: I'm guessing the WAV has the WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE (0xFFFE) format code: http://www-mmsp.ece.mcgill.ca/Documents/AudioFormats/WAVE/WAVE.html

I've only personally run into it with >2 channel WAVs, but the site linked above indicates that it could be valid for some other cases (>16-bit, channel-to-speaker mapping, etc.). WAV is a mess. :)