Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Orders for the new 3.0 overlays and replacement panels.

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
edited March 2019 in General Discussion

I just wanted to give people a little nudge to think about placing their order for an overlay or replacement panel soon for our upcoming 3.0 software update. We’ll be getting them made fairly shortly so keen to solid idea of numbers.

With the overlay, we will contact you before we make and we will be giving people one of several choices. You’ll be able to choose from getting the shortcuts black on white, white on black and also choosing from QWERTY, AZERTY or QWERTZ

You can order the overlay here: https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge-shortcuts-overlay/

Note, that the panels themselves are only in QWERTY and with the shortcuts printed light grey on the black Deluge panel. If you would like another keyboard layout, you must order the corresponding overlay. You can order a full replacement panel (to replace yourself) here: https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge-replacement-top-panel/

If you order either an overlay or panel, it will tell you your order is on backorder. We will ship them in adequate time before the 3.0 update is released.

If you have ALREADY ordered a replacement PANEL, I just wanted to let you know, that with the amount of shipping you’ve paid for the panel, we could slip in a t-shirt at no extra shipping cost. If you’d like us to ship a t-shirt with your panel, use the following link, this won’t charge any further shipping:
https://synthstrom.com/product/synthstrom-audible-robot-tee-special/ (this link only applies if you've already ordered and paid for shipping for a replacement panel)

Stay tuned for another tease of an amazing feature from 3.0 coming in a couple of weeks.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

Comments

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

Just wanted to mention that I like the idea of having a professional replace the top panel without invalidating the warranty. Obviously without knowing cost it's hard to commit to that.

We aim to be able to announce details about this option before we even ship the current panel orders so users can change their mind and have us organise replacement if they like.

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

Ian,
    Will replacing the top panel ourselves require any soldering or anything technical?

@pfrf said:
    Ian,
    Will replacing the top panel ourselves require any soldering or anything technical?

absolutely not. it is merely unscrewing and screwing things. it's just delicate and will take around 60-90mins of unscrewing/screwing many things, if you have the tools we list on the product purchase page, it is just a matter of patience and being the kind of person who puts one particular kind of screw in one bowl, and another in a different one, etc :)

edited April 2019

Thanks, Ian. Apologies as I didn’t think to look at the product page for information. I am going to wait until my warranty is up (June I think) then buy a top panel and replace mine. I’m not technically minded but I am patient and organized.

Edit- should I go ahead and order one now, or will they still be available in June?

Post edited by pfrf on

Confident they'll still be available...I mean...if we get a crazy run on stock post Superbooth (May 9th), there is a chance we might run out...haha, hard to predict at this stage. We are hoping that we can keep on top of production from this point forward...but yeah - we were smashed with orders after Superbooth last year.

haha
    One of those orders was mine. You did a great job demoing the Deluge at Superbooth last year.

I think I’ll place an order for the top panel soon. Thanks!

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Ordered, one request - can the matrix buttons text be made a little bolder/larger? Fine if not, but thought I’d ask anyway just in case.

Not on the actual panel I'm afraid. We can't do print variations of that. We'll have a couple of variations of the overlay people can choose from.

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

Cool, I might grab an overlay later as well then.

MoonWolfMoonWolf United KingdomPosts: 50

Do we have an idea of when the new overlays will be ready for shipping yet, please?

No. Still a while away. People will receive them before the software is released. That is all I can say for the moment.

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

What's people's preference on replacement panel Vs overlay? I originally went for a printed case when I bought my Deluge and prefer the idea of a replacement panel but what's the chances of having to replace it again in the future? There are still unused pads on the matrix and that makes me a little nervous of stumping up another $50 for a panel as maybe one day functions will be assigned to those pads making the updated panel somewhat redundant (that feels like a bit of an exaggeration I admit).

Having never had an overlay, for the people that have them, what are they like to live with?

It is likely at some point yes, there might be another update where people could replace the case again, however, it wont be for a while and would be after several more firmware updates. However, I don't think updating again would be as essential as now...the QWERTY is really the main reason for the panel update, if it were just for the changes in shortcut pads, those would be easily memorable...and yeah, even if in the future we add shortcuts to the pads that don't have them assigned, remembering those will be easier than memorising a keyboard (for those who can't touch-type)

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

Thanks Ian, some sensible points there :smiley:

Are the replacement panels ready to ship now?

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

Ian,

Any chance we could get a good picture of how an overlay looks on the Deluge?

pbolgerpbolger ChristchurchPosts: 61

How about a cash back for the old panels? I presume they could be rescreened and used again (assuming they aren't too smashed up)?

alifeinbinaryalifeinbinary Vancouver, CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 19

I have access to a laser cutter through my local makerspace. Would Synthstrom be willing to provide the necessary vector design files that would allow me to etch the labels onto the top panel?

RhyminGarFunkleRhyminGarFunkle Tucson, AZPosts: 16

@Ian_Jorgensen I got an email yesterday saying that my top panel order is being processed, even though I put the order in two months ago. Is this a glitch, or are the top panels being shipped?

syncrsyncr Posts: 13
    edited June 2019

Looks as though the overlay is no longer listed on the product pages or via the link provided. Will more of these be available or is the only option to purchase the replacement panel? Thanks. Looks like they are back. Yay

Post edited by syncr on

Overlays ... all out of stock ?!? is there a delay in manufacturing ?

@RhyminGarFunkle said:
    @Ian_Jorgensen I got an email yesterday saying that my top panel order is being processed, even though I put the order in two months ago. Is this a glitch, or are the top panels being shipped?

Sorry for slow reply, being processed, sending very shortly.

My Problem is not waiting for an order ... on this Website I just can't order the overlay. Always the message "out of stock" appears, although there is the message "Orders can be placed from June 24th, 2019"

SammySammy DurnessPosts: 10
    edited August 2019

Just recieved mine todaym the Black on White Deluge 3.0 Shortcuts Overlay. In the way of a request, could you make a bold font overlay please? I have impared vision and I specificaly bought the white on black to help with that. It does help but I still find the font too small and fine unfortunately.

Post edited by Sammy on
    lchatanakalchatanaka United StatesPosts: 13

@Sammy said:
    Just recieved mine todaym the Black on White Deluge 3.0 Shortcuts Overlay. In the way of a request, could you make a bold font overlay please? I have impared vision and I specificaly bought the white on black to help with that. It does help but I still find the font too small and fine unfortunately.

How long after you received the "order complete" email to when you got the overlay? Also, what country are you in? Ordered mine a couple weeks ago and wanted a rough estimate.

MoonWolfMoonWolf United KingdomPosts: 50

Still waiting here, too.
    Received email about ten days ago...

pbolgerpbolger ChristchurchPosts: 61

@pbolger said:
    How about a cash back for the old panels? I presume they could be rescreened and used again (assuming they aren't too smashed up)?

Received my new top panel and installed it yesterday. The hardest part turned out to be removing the knobs. 1.5mm Allen keys are small, and these ones are very tight. I bought a ball-head Allen key driver as it was the only one my local hardware shop had. Forget it - you need a sharp edged one to get the necessary torque. Luckily in my case the ball broke off, leaving me with the sharp edged bit intact.

For others doing this remember the maxim “over tighten big things, under tighten small” the knob bolts and the fixing screws holding the board to the front panel have been factory tightened by people who have practise in getting them as tight as possible without breaking them - and who have boxes of new ones there if they make a mistake. When you are reattaching it’s better to err on the side of gentle.

Second point - count those fixing screws. There are 30, and it’s easy to miss one. Having a screw wandering around inside the deluge would not be good. I managed to leave almost all of them in place while doing the changeover.

If you really have trouble keeping track of small things take photos while you take apart, and lay the bits out on a piece of fabric so you can see which bit goes where.

Finally: I’m done with my old top panel, which is perfectly good except for the screen printing. Can I send it back for recycling?

Is there such a thing as one-off metal screen printing? It occurs to me that a deluge with an SEM, or Roland System 100, faceplate would look really cool.

@MoonWolf said:
    Still waiting here, too.
    Received email about ten days ago...

Yeah I'm one day behind you, 9 days since email. I ordered mine on the 25th but emailed em to change from overlay to faceplate and I think that delayed it because I got the "order complete" email on the 8th. Let me know when you get yours!

mbangmbang Gothenburg, SwedenPosts: 61

I ordered my overlay in july and still i´m waiting for mine. What´s going on? :(

@mbang said:
    I ordered my overlay in july and still i´m waiting for mine. What´s going on? :(

You might want to contact them. Let us know what they say.