Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Programming chords in keyboard mode

Summary
At the moment the rows with the mute/launch and audition/section buttons have no function. It could be handy if a user could assign chords at this section which are played back when a button is pressed.

Minimal viable product
- press and hold at least one key in keyboard mode
- press one of the audition/launch buttons
- on release, the pressed keys are stored
- to play the chord back, press the assigned button

Additions
- The arpeggiator could also work with these assigned buttons

Comments

+1

Would like some form of chord memory or chord presets

LordNelsonLordNelson NetherlandsPosts: 1

Great idea!

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

great idea

PancitoKill85PancitoKill85 Buenos Aires ArgentinaPosts: 8

Good idea

faktoidfaktoid GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 11

great idea.. chords for everyone :)

zobbozobbo Chester, UKPosts: 4

+1

smbennsmbenn Brighton, UKBeta Tester Posts: 23

Yup, chord memory please in keyboard mode.

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

Yes please

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

would be nice.

poldensteinpoldenstein italyBeta Tester Posts: 43

+1!

gtrmstr53gtrmstr53 Posts: 11

+1

MK_0MK_0 RPosts: 21

+1

eclipxeeclipxe Irvine, CABeta Tester Posts: 19

+1

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199

+1

Mystic38Mystic38 Posts: 21

+1

a possible improved implementation may be..?
    1. press/ hold audition launch button
    2. press notes for the chord of interest
    3. release audition launch button

This has the benefit that if you wanted (say) a maj 7 chord with bass ie -8, 0, 3, 5, 7 (of scale) you could assign this easier this way.

Good point. I think both ways could exist in parallel.

EzelEzel Dominican RepublicBeta Tester Posts: 9

+1 Chord memory

mosfranmosfran FrancePosts: 5

+1

hel_kjhel_kj USAPosts: 1

Hey all, new to the Deluge. Has chord memory (or similar function) been added in the recent update?

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

@hel_kj said:
    Hey all, new to the Deluge. Has chord memory (or similar function) been added in the recent update?

nope

acecs1989acecs1989 United StatesPosts: 2

Love this idea! I was thinking about getting a kordbot for use as an input controller but this would eliminate the need for that.

71777177 (:Posts: 38

+1

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

+1

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

for the note repeat thread i made a sketch, chorder functionality could be added here too. the idea is the keyboard view gets global midi performance features as if you would hook up a MPC controller or a kordbot.

punchedoutpunchedout United StatesPosts: 29
    edited March 2019

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1962606435/theoryboard-music-theory-made-easy

I enjoy the chord side and feel we could implement our own layout of chords. Each pad could have a chord shape which was user mappable or more specifically:

Keyboard
    1. That functions as a performance mode which features the isometric keyboard in the 8x16 section. The 2x8 could be used for note repeat functionality similar to the push. Since there are 2 rows one can mirror the diatonic chords or be remapped in a similar fashion as defined below.

Keyboard + shift
    2. This would be chord mode. instead of the isometric view we would have both a default template which is similar to the theory board, but we can include more chords since we have more pads. I would also like to see a row of unassigned pads that can be user assigned able at the bottom. So maybe using the 7 out of 8 rows by default in and leaving the 8th row assignable for user defined chords. Chords could be assigned to the 8th row by holding the notes in keyboard mode and pressing shift and one of the 16 pads in the 2x8. The 2x8 itself in chord mode would be used for the arpeggiator, but I haven't put enough thought into the arrangement or parameters of the arp.

An alternative vision would be to have shift keyboard enter a hybrid isometric and chord screen where 7x8 becomes default diatonic chords and extensions. The 8th row becomes an empty user assignable row. The other half of the 8x8 becomes a standard push isometric keyboard. The 2x8 can be note repeat on one half, but also the arpeggiator because it can share the denominations with the arp.

Please implement a chord feature soon. I promise to buy your second device (if its reasonably priced) and wait patiently if you can supply us with something until a version with an OLED arrives, but if there is no plans for chord integration of this nature then I would be forced to buy the theory board as it fits an itch that I'm not filling properly right now. I think the price tag is ridiculous when compared to the deluge and think they are overcharging or have built a product which is not creatively engineered given its use, but that screen is probably what made the price tag so high (so i'd like to thank you for choosing the spartan display in regards to keeping cost down). I'm a believer now though and would spend $1200 (or slightly more if it feels justified) on a deluge 2 with an OLED screen.

The theory board should have deluges screen and the deluge should have a screen similar to the latest iteration of the theory board.

I think we can manage this functionality in one device. No need for another device like the theory board (besides velocity sensitivity and strum ability) if you already have a deluge in my opinion. This is a software issue for us, we have all the hardware necessary already. I would prefer to hear from the developers on this, before I am unable to pre-order a theory board as the price difference is egregious. Thank you for your continued updates to this incredible product!

Post edited by punchedout on
    MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

+1

I'd like to add: just pre configured chords without the ability to transpose is too limited IMO.

Would be nice if you'd be able to select a chord, then press a key in the keyboard view or one of the audition keys in track view to play that chord with that note as the root note.

You might even give the option to latch (turn a chord on/off) OR hold a chord while pressing a note, for faster performance. When you release the chord button, it will then just play notes again.

dannytaurusdannytaurus Los AngelesBeta Tester Posts: 31

+1 for any type of chord memory - even if it's just holding down a chord in keyboard mode and hitting something like Learn. Then any single key press plays that chord with the root at that key. Much like classic Roland Alpha Juno and newer Arturia Keystep.

VoltVolt Posts: 55

Agree, chord mode would be nice.

Just_Peter118Just_Peter118 The NetherlandsPosts: 42

+1 Chord mode. Would be a great feature