Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

SEPARATE MIDI CHANNELS OVER USB (32 total!)

workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222

In addition to the regular 16 channels we get using the MIDI DIN ports, it would be quite excellent if we could get an additional 16 (or more) via USB.

Post edited by workergray on

Comments

This is a copy of a post that got deleted. A lot of people voted on it.

JahraJahra Posts: 17

jup!

atimchakatimchak Chicago, ILPosts: 28

I completely agree with this - and there are already affordable products that would make this fairly easy to do - like the Keith McMillan midi expander. And for functionality - after you cycle through all 16 main channels it would go to 1u (for usb) - 16u.

The one drawback is that you couldn’t charge it via usb but that’s really a minor issue as you could use a power supply instead.

mike505mike505 GermanyPosts: 8

+1 :)

ohnoitsfraaohnoitsfraa Heerlen, NetherlandsBeta Tester Posts: 3

+1 ;)

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

upvoted, needed if Deluge ever supports MPE.
    atimchak, McMillan usb to midi is propietary afaik, sadly would be a nice price. cheapest standalone solution afaik http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter.

i have a number of fx units this would be good for. my "A" channels would be synths and "B" would be effects channels--- or lights.

BurtrudeBurtrude U.K. Posts: 18

+1

CramCram UKBeta Tester Posts: 3

+1

LLP33LLP33 Norfolk, UKPosts: 3

i'd love to see more midi channels. I can use 16 on just my Virus TI2, then none left over for anything else.
    More midi channels please. :smiley:

It is a shame the original post/vote/poll got deleted, I'm sure a lot of people are crying out for more midi channels.

p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111
    edited March 2019

@LLP33 said:
    It is a shame the original post/vote/poll got deleted, I'm sure a lot of people are crying out for more midi channels.

I wouldn't worry too much. Synthstrom has said that a) they are well aware of this request (since well before this or probably the prior thread) and b) upvotes etc. don't really matter (they will implement what they think are good ideas and know that there are a lot of them on the forum). If it is possible (and not ridiculously difficult), we may see it added.

Post edited by p_wats on

I hope so, it is a brilliant idea. Thanks for replying and the update.

cwhileycwhiley Witcherville, ARPosts: 3

This is literally my most important request. I've been waiting on this for a long time. I can't emphasize enough how big of a deal this is to me and my exclusively Deluge centered workflow.

Here's the business. I have a multi-timbral drum machine. The Jomox Alpha Base. Literally the best pure analog drum machine on the market. It uses 11 MIDI channels for the voices alone (more for other commands). My Vermona Perfourmer uses 4. Say I add an Eventide Space reverb pedal. So that's one drum machine, one synthesizer, and one effects pedal. I've hit 16 channels. Then, I have 10 other synthesizers and a multitude of MIDI addressable effects units. For those of us with a lot of outboard gear 16 channels is highly limiting. If a person has an Access Virus (or other muti-timbral synth) for example and you'd like to independently address all 16 parts....you hit the limit with one outboard synth.

It's NOT that I have to have access to every synthesizer or effect unit in my studio in every song. It's that I don't want to have to think "ok on this song midi channel 5 is this synthesizer but on this other song its this other synthesizer" or "ok I'll move these midi channels around on this synth for this song and to another channel for that song". It's not conducive to consistent workflow at all to work this way. Discrete access to as many hardware devices as possible helps tremendously in large setups. It's why I'm waiting for a Cirklon. 64 discrete midi channel tracks.

I love the Deluge but have outgrown it and have to move forward. Buying a second Deluge has come to mind. However, for that amount of money I'm 100% of the way to a Cirklon and I just need the addressable sequencing power so this makes more sense. Unfortunately, I'm at least another 16-18 months away on the waiting list and having another 16 addressable channels over USB would be a game changer for me for real.

Thanks team, love you guys.

FabiFabi ItalyPosts: 14
    edited April 2020

@workergray said:
    In addition to the regular 16 channels we get using the MIDI DIN ports, it would be quite excellent if we could get an additional 16 (or more) via USB.

I quote this ! DELUGE is now really near to get 16 more MIDI Channels since the 3.1 Firmware update is coming!! OK Not intended to be that but now it is going to work as a USB Hub so ... Getting there!!
    :D

Post edited by Fabi on
    FabiFabi ItalyPosts: 14

@cwhiley said:
    This is literally my most important request. I've been waiting on this for a long time. I can't emphasize enough how big of a deal this is to me and my exclusively Deluge centered workflow.

Here's the business. I have a multi-timbral drum machine. The Jomox Alpha Base. Literally the best pure analog drum machine on the market. It uses 11 MIDI channels for the voices alone (more for other commands). My Vermona Perfourmer uses 4. Say I add an Eventide Space reverb pedal. So that's one drum machine, one synthesizer, and one effects pedal. I've hit 16 channels. Then, I have 10 other synthesizers and a multitude of MIDI addressable effects units. For those of us with a lot of outboard gear 16 channels is highly limiting. If a person has an Access Virus (or other muti-timbral synth) for example and you'd like to independently address all 16 parts....you hit the limit with one outboard synth.

It's NOT that I have to have access to every synthesizer or effect unit in my studio in every song. It's that I don't want to have to think "ok on this song midi channel 5 is this synthesizer but on this other song its this other synthesizer" or "ok I'll move these midi channels around on this synth for this song and to another channel for that song". It's not conducive to consistent workflow at all to work this way. Discrete access to as many hardware devices as possible helps tremendously in large setups. It's why I'm waiting for a Cirklon. 64 discrete midi channel tracks.

I love the Deluge but have outgrown it and have to move forward. Buying a second Deluge has come to mind. However, for that amount of money I'm 100% of the way to a Cirklon and I just need the addressable sequencing power so this makes more sense. Unfortunately, I'm at least another 16-18 months away on the waiting list and having another 16 addressable channels over USB would be a game changer for me for real.

3.1 is coming and is bringing more certainty to this feature !

kromatekkromatek FrancePosts: 4

+1 . Is tit works with 3.1?

edited October 2020

as of 3.1, extra midi has not been implemented yet-- but the groundwork is there. USB hosting is the first step.

Post edited by workergray on
    BurtrudeBurtrude U.K. Posts: 18

@Fabi said:

@cwhiley said:

3.1 is coming and is bringing more certainty to this feature !

same here, its a second Deluge, or a Cirklon, and with the future in-mind the waiting list is very much feeling worth it,

NiktuNiktu MelbournePosts: 6
    edited July 2020

Really want this too. Makes Deluge more suitable as a “master sequencer” if implemented. Thank you.

Post edited by Niktu on
    mattfwaltersmattfwalters Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 8

+1,111,111

As I was doing "final" (lol) cabling and testing of my Deluge-centered DAWless studio today, I realized that there is no way to route MIDI messages to a specific interface. I have 5 MIDI interfaces connected right now: the internal classic MIDI output, and four class-compliant USB-MIDI devices (Doepfer MIDI->CV module, Waldorf Iridium, ASM Hydrasynth, Arturia Beatstep Pro). I am using the built-in output and a Kenton Thru 12 to drive MIDI clock to a bunch of pedals, clock + MMC + pattern changes to an Elektron Machinedrum, and normal MIDI stuff to a Twisted Electrons MEGAfm synth. The problems I have are two-fold:

(1) I need more than 16 MIDI channels to address all of these devices; and
    (2) The built-in MIDI output is hilariously jittery when it is transmitting all of the messages for all 5 interfaces, so it is functionally useless to me.

Seems to me that we really need 80 MIDI channels - 16 for each potential MIDI bus. Potentially more if there's some future idea of supporting more than 4 USB client devices, but that's a different conversation. :)

I love this device, and reading through threads I get the impression that this is known, perceived as important, and in the queue. So that's great, I'm just throwing my +1 and use case in here.

I'll also throw in: my background is in embedded firmware / hardware development and I have written a load of USB, MIDI, audio, timing, and related code in multiple languages and on several platforms. If I can be helpful in the development of this set of features, I would be extremely happy to donate some of my time to get MIDI output routing functionality implemented sooner than otherwise. :)

Another +1 for this.

Separate MIDI streams for USB and DIN would be one of the first and top suggestions I could make!

And might I also add the inverse of this...being able to differentiate between USB In and DIN In. It may be obvious to some, but it didn’t occur to me right away. It seems like doing so would allow for much more ease of assigning external controllers to the second stream without any crossover.

This discussion has been closed.