Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Dual-Screen mode (2 different screens on a single page)

Currently there are 3 modes (track view, sequencer view and keyboard view) and each mode has its own screen. But what if the user could additionally split the 16x8 grid to an upper and lower part (2 halves with each 16x4)? This would be a very mighty function in terms of overview and workflow, because there are 2 different modes on 1 single screen simultaneously.

For example, the user could decide to split:

track view (upper part)
sequencer view (lower part)
=> very helpful to quickly change the track in the sequencer view and edit it

track view (upper part)
keyboard view (lower part)
=> very helpful to quickly play or record melodies on different tracks

sequencer view (upper part)
keyboard view (lower part)
=> useful to record melodies and to see immediately the recorded notes and to modify them

Many software sequencers have splitted screens for a better overview. Since the Deluge has this great and huge 16x8 grid, it could do this, too. Ableton 10 will finally provide this killer feature on Push (though not really flexible, but at least: sequencer = upper part, keyboard = lower part). I was always waiting that Ableton will implement it, but now I have sold my Push to get a Deluge. And I don’t regret it! ;)

Comments

maimai Posts: 21
    edited November 2017

That’s a great idea! Btw the Circuit from Novation also has several „dual screens“, though it has much less buttons, it’s not just Push. I guess it’s one of the biggest strengths of the Circuit. Perfectly intuitive. In this case the Deluge could beat the Circuit easily - 128 buttons, instead of 32!

Post edited by mai on
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Great idea! Love it on the circuit

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

VoltVolt Posts: 55

Oh, yes of course. The circuit has this great visceral overview, too!

olicolic Posts: 15

love the idea!

mpiecorampiecora United StatesPosts: 29

+1

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

+1

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

+1

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

+1

VoltVolt Posts: 55

Still thinking that this would increase the workflow drastically. :smile:

krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70

+1

mrrafsmrrafs ukPosts: 63

+1

fenixsongfenixsong United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 45
    edited January 2019

I would add: For the Keyboard View / Sequencer View... what if the sequencer view was just at the bottom line (16th notes + still zoomable) - the keyboard view getting the rest of the pads.... and if you hold one of those steps and press (above in the keyboard view) one note or a chord it would save it to that step. Very much like the Circuit (which I have too) but this type of thing has been used elsewhere as well. Much more powerful on Deluge!!!

Post edited by fenixsong on
    uliuli marseillePosts: 8

Yeah, this could also allow for a better access to kits and far quicker interaction in live-looping electronic beats ! Imagine a song / kit combination, to allow you to toggle synth/midi/cv tracks and drum-instruments on the same screen, without having to switch between views.

To have maximum access to the mute & audition pads, the split would have to be vertical in this case, dividing the grid in two halves of 8x8. The right side could potentially be the selected kit, while the left side shows the song. And because the width is then limited to 8 pads (on both halves), it might be practical to allow for continuous scroll when playing (as in arranger view).

This would potentially give you the ability to mute / unmute AND parameter change 16 different drums/instrument tracks from the same view!

To switch between the two halves, you could just press & hold a pad on the inactive half to make it active and allow for muting, modulation, etc. with your other hand.

In order for this to work however, the mute & audition buttons as well as zoom, scroll & parameter knobs need to be relative to a context: either the left or right side. And it has to be quite clear to the user, which side is currently active.

I could imagine a semitransparent white border surrounding the active half, and a slight dimming of the inactive half. Maybe the border could even slightly pulse, to always remind the user of the current context.

To activate the this view mode, one might press the song and track buttons together (and both start to blink).

To assign a new kit (or any other synth/midi/cv track) to the right side, one could press and hold any pad of the respective track in the song half and press any pad on the same line but in the instrument half.

oh yes, i was thinking about this very often. it would increase the workflow to an completely higher level.

hoprockerhoprocker californiaPosts: 5

I've been thinking about an even simpler split idea: dual-split clip view (2 horizontal panes of 4 rows each).

Why? Well, if you're trying to synchronize notes between tracks, afaict right now one needs to go into clip A, add all of the notes for that voice, then go into clip B, and -- remembering where things were placed on clip A -- place new notes relative to that. This could be of great use for doing complex syncopations.

Users can currently listen to the track and try to match up between slots, but it'd be so much easier to have visual feedback about how two clips intertwine.

(Btw, let me know if this should be factored out into another thread!)

NorisNoris AustriaPosts: 38

Great idea! That would dramatically improve the entire workflow. :)