Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

MIDI controller assignment option to access the selected / edited track

tacharontacharon HamburgPosts: 44
edited December 2017 in Deluge Software Suggestions

I plan to set up a bank of external dials for faster editing of all sound parameters. While all controller assignments are currently directly tied to one specific track, it would be way more useful during the creation process if the assignments would follow the selected/edited track. There is probably need for both options, ideally in form of two independent maps for all assignments of a song which can be switched, one direct (e.g. for a performance to access specific parameters of different tracks), the other following the track focus (better for sound design during the composition process).

Post edited by tacharon on
Tagged:

Comments

MyrkMyrk Bristol, UKPosts: 93

+1 this feature would really help with external midi control. I'd love to get a BCR2000 to replace the menu diving on the Deluge, and this would allow the current track to be edited, but would need the Deluge to fire out the CCs whenever you change track to ensure the LED encoders show the correct values.

I agree with Myrk that feedback (for hardware controllers with LED rings or alike) would be desirable too – in both cases.

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

+1

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    poldensteinpoldenstein italyBeta Tester Posts: 43

+1

jbone1313jbone1313 Posts: 39

+1

YogiYogi GermanyPosts: 16

+1 Just discovered this issue with my new FaderFox UC4 unit...

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157
    edited May 2018

+1

Not only for cc, also just for notes.

I'd like to have 1 global midi keyboard/controller that lets you play the selected track.

When knobs/faders are mapped of this "global" controller, it should be a "generic" link, which means that it applies only to the selected track and only when the destination is the same/comparable (so same control for all internal synths or for all midi tracks with a specific/kits midi channel)

Post edited by MPrinsen on

Yes, absolutely! This should work for all channel messages. Thanks for pointing it out!

llexamllexam USABeta Tester Posts: 73

+1 Should be option to switch between direct (current behavior) and focused (proposed behavior).

I like that wording! The Setting Menu should provide an addition:
    MIDI > MAP > DIREct or FOCUsed
    Perfect!
    :-)

gikugiku PolandPosts: 9
    edited August 2018

I bought external MIDI keyboard plugged in and... was shocked this obvious, common behaviour is not supported. Haven't expected this. For now its unusable..
    +1

Post edited by giku on
    edited August 2018

After thinking about this more, I suggest not to implement this as two modes of operation (as suggested above, prematurely ;-), but as two distinct learn modes, so that you could for example assign some controls as a mixer (vol, pan, reverb, maybe EQ, etc.) and other controls for sound editing (Osc, LFO, filter, ADSRs, etc) of the selected/edited track, and use them simultaneously!
    That would be clearly preferable for both, composition and live performance. It also simplifies to ensure backward compatibility: Existing assignments are direct, new assignments could be either direct, or following the selected/edited track.

Post edited by tacharon on

Any rumors or confirmation that something solving this problem will be included in v2.1?
    Hoping to be surprised.

gikugiku PolandPosts: 9
    edited December 2018

Waiting.. so far its not on beta. I have 2 midi keyboards none of them has ability to quickly select midi channel. It's a game stopper I haven't expected when ordered Deluge.

Post edited by giku on
    MaxOSMaxOS Los AngelesPosts: 50

+1

CassidySCassidyS United StatesPosts: 4

+1

ScrufftvScrufftv ukPosts: 2

+++ This is my only major gripe with the Deluge, perhaps with the new usb host funtionality it will been on the cards as more and more people face dissapointment with their shiny new midi controllers!

dhubdhub USPosts: 2

Just got the Deluge and I couldn't believe it can't focus the midi note inputs to what you are working on! This is almost a deal killer for me, as was planning on using it live.

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

@dhub said:
    Just got the Deluge and I couldn't believe it can't focus the midi note inputs to what you are working on! This is almost a deal killer for me, as was planning on using it live.

Yeah I actually bought a roland a-49 to be able to easily switch midi channel, but still would love to be able to set a “master

dhubdhub USPosts: 2

If this doesn't get fixed in the next update mine will be up for sale on Reverb.

ELEVENELEVEN Zagreb, CroatiaPosts: 60

+1000

funkymothersfunkymothers LondonPosts: 48

Further to your suggestion (which I completely support) I would like to suggest:

Focus should switch to currently selected row in Kit View, too.

The Gold Knobs already work in this way so it would be a natural extension of the existing workflow.

I.e. Select Row > Tweak MIDI controller / adjust parameters > move to next Row

@funkymothers said:
    Focus should switch to currently selected row in Kit View, too.

Yes, absolutely!

hurphendalehurphendale PragueBeta Tester Posts: 39

Instead of having to enter into a track to tweak it on a controller, wouldn't it be better to have a collection of preset mappings that you can assign to specific tracks as you want? If you have something like the Akai MIDIMix you want to assign portions of it to various different tracks, not the whole thing to one single track.
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2642/midi-mapping-templates-assignable-to-instruments-clips

funkymothersfunkymothers LondonPosts: 48

@hurphendale said:
    Instead of having to enter into a track to tweak it on a controller, wouldn't it be better to have a collection of preset mappings that you can assign to specific tracks as you want? If you have something like the Akai MIDIMix you want to assign portions of it to various different tracks, not the whole thing to one single track.
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/2642/midi-mapping-templates-assignable-to-instruments-clips

What you are describing is a different use case to the one in this suggestion. This suggestion is about the Deluge focussing a user definable set of CC's (or other MIDI messages) to whatever Clip or Kit Row is currently selected.

This is an extension of how the Gold Knobs already work. The advantage is that even with a small set of knobs and faders you can very easily tweak essential parameters like ADSR, tune, etc. for whatever is currently in focus. You can quickly go through any Clips or Kit Rows and tweak a set of parameters to taste. Most DAW's and (hardware) Synths, Drum machines, etc work in exactly the same fashion.

What you are requesting should already be possible, however, instead of changing Controller Presets on the Deluge you create and change them on the MIDIMix. (unless the MIDIMix doesn't support presets?)

Apparently some users have created a preset song with all their mappings and use that as a starting point for new ones (haven't tried this myself).

Of course your suggestion is completely valid but it is another approach so in my opinion the two requests should be kept separate.

D_MapacheD_Mapache HamburgPosts: 4

+1 I agree, my digitakt used to have this feature, but i sold it for the deluge. Still good choice 😄

SalaendoInterCitySalaendoInterCity DresdenPosts: 10

Same here. Had several sequencers and this methodology is quit common for a reason. Would like to see that on the deluge aswell.