Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Recording a sample just creates white noise

When I record a new sample from the built-in microphone, all I seem to be able to record is very loud white noise. When I first got the machine it did record samples as expected but I don't know what has changed.

Can anyone help?

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Do you have a cable plugged into to the 1/4" audio input jack ? Can't use the mic if so. If there's no actual sound detected in a sample recording but a little bit of noise, it seems to get normalized so that the noise becomes very amplified.

Did you try flipping the gain switch?
    And/or changing the monitor setting (MONI in the setup menu)?

If these don't do anything, I guess the mic's busted up and you'd need to send it in for repair :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

Hi @martyncottey! At a guess, do you have anything plugged into the line in jack? As @Icoustik mentioned, this could cause pretty much exactly the issue you're describing. If not, could you describe the process you're using for recording and what settings (gain switch/monitor setting) you're using? Thanks :smile:

Thanks @Icoustik and @Sam for the replies. I've not got anything plugged in anywhere and I've tried recording in both the Lo and Hi gain settings and all three monitor modes. The result is the same.

I've tested recording from an external mic as well and this works fine. It's only the internal mic that produces white noise.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Then I think it MIGHT be faulty. In that case, send a mail directly to rohan@synthstrom.com

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

atimchakatimchak Chicago, ILPosts: 28

Sadly I just got my Deluge and this seems to be the same with me - recording with the internal mic leads records white noise, whilst a mic plugged in works fine. I guess I'll email Rohan as well.

Sadly this same thing is happening with my unit and I emailed Rohan to troubleshoot. Was this hard to fix?

Just for historical purposes - the solder joint to the internal mic was faulty - took about 30 mins of tech time (most of which was to open and close the unit) and now it works just great!

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Sincere apologies to anyone with internal mic connection issues. This is of course covered under warranty, and we have stepped our testing of these before shipping to avoid it happening again in the future. Anyone with a problem, please contact me and we'll get it sorted out - rohan@synthstrom.com

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

and if I plug a MIC in the MIC INPUT and some LINE in the LINE INPUT at the same time which one will be recorded when I set OSC to INPUT L/R or can I split Left and Right?