Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Ableton LINK for Deluge

Ableton Link is a game changer in terms of synchronizing you gear and software, it’s absolutely tight and stable and you can start each device separately at any time.

Unfortunately Deluge has no WiFi (WLAN) module so this can’t happen, hardware-wise. But I‘m thinking about how it works on iOS apps for iPads. In this case Link works internally, without WiFi. Additionally there is an iOS app „Link to MIDI“ (https://alexandernaut.com/linktomidi/), so there seems to be a way to convert MIDI to the Ableton Link protocol.

Maybe Deluge could output/receice Link via MIDI/USB?

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

No, you cant, or it seems crazy to convert Midi to Ableton Link. The app you mention is one-way.
    Ableton Link uses a network protocol, you cant use Midi DIN to transmit Ableton Link messages.

Ableton Link is unlike Midi. While Midi is Master/Slave, Link is P2P, means every connected sequencer may stop/start or change the bpm. Linked devices join a session and exchange messages. Midi DIN is old, 3.8 kilobytes per second..

the USB port might be possible. a prerequisite to this suggestion is the thread about using Deluge as an audio/midi interface via the computer.

cypher79cypher79 UKPosts: 157

Personally I like that the Deluge is fully independent of a DAW, but if this feature was to happen, I wouldn't want it to only work with Ableton, what about all the Deluge users out there that use one of the other many DAW's? Make it work with all DAW's or non at all imo.

VoltVolt Posts: 55

cypher, Link is not Ableton only. Ableton is just the manufacturer who developed it and afaik the code is free to use for everone. If I‘m looking at iOS apps (there are a lot of great ones f.e. from Korg, Moog, Arturia, Reason, Novation, Steinberg, Waldorf... just to mention a few well known companies) Ableton Link already became a standard in terms of synchronization. There is nothing better than this.

VoltVolt Posts: 55

And of course, if Link could be implemented Deluge would stay fully independent to the outerworld. It would be just more tight if you want to use with other stuff.

@Volt said:
    And of course, if Link could be implemented Deluge would stay fully independent to the outerworld. It would be just more tight if you want to use with other stuff.

nope, u cant improve tightness by trying to emulate the Link messages in a low bandwidth connector like midi DIN.
    Deluge implements midi sync fairly well, no tightness problems anyway. Midi DIN is fine since 40 years. especially on IOS using midi protocol based sync between apps never worked well, Link improved that. so does OSC which was popular for a few years.

ableton link has its advantages, especially with CV controlled gear :) cool new product http://circuithappy.com/themissinglink/
    can also interface with midi (midi output only, no midi in)

neddycgoonneddycgoon New ZealandPosts: 21

Old thread I know and Im not a Deluge owner....yet....but I was thinking an iconnectmidi2+ could solve any Ableton sync issues just by using the midi out port on the Deluge....Seems to do the job with the arps in my Yamaha Mox and Ableton I use it for my Kaossilator as well..