Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

VSCO orchestral multisample library

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Brought to you by me and the awesome Ron Cavagnaro: big ass orchestral multisample (and other samples) library with heaps of different articulations in readily Deluge-MULTi-loadable folders :smiley:

Here's what the folder naming means:

• 1 is lower velocity samples, 2 is higher, and so on.
  • For example 1-2 or 2-2 means round robin variation 2

There's also ready-made presets (XML files) if you wanna get right to playing and skip the sound design

It's FREE, open use, public domain. Go grab it!

1. Download samples:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JEEVdiEI-f-p16bIHtyBjN_mKHXIBq8D?fbclid=IwAR0kTfHfgVPhGVtVg6FI65pqYuBELo7utTyBJimhDefY2OdZQV8rAoYO-Iw

Note: When you download a zip from google drive with the whole collection, it might split the download into two separate zip files that need to be merged afterwards.

1. Preset XML's:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tCPW4QlJ7uoA9s_7sutaL6M5JgNn0NfM?usp=sharing

Drop the folder with the XML files for the presets in your SYNTHS folder.

1. Place the samples folder ("Ron VSCO-2-CE-master") in the following filepath on your SD card: SAMPLES/ Multisamples/ Ron VSCO-2-CE-master
    (If you don't have a folder called specifically "Multisamples" in your SAMPLES folder, create one.)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Post edited by Icoustik on

Comments

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

big thumbs up :)

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

wow!

VoddoBassVoddoBass SwedenPosts: 30

Amazing stuff <3

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292
    edited January 2019

big THX to Norway!!!
    except I don´t understand the folder hierarchy at this point - now that I have learned about RR Variations, I wonder how to map these multisampled into Deluge

Post edited by Eddy on
    overdopedoverdoped meckpommPosts: 15

Big thanks for the sharing.

KegeratorzKegeratorz PAPosts: 13

Thank you!

@Eddy We can't really use round robins per se currently, but you can make different patches with them :) And you COULD use something like the Rk-002 cable from Retrokits to have round robin capabilities with the Deluge :)

Programming tips:

Velocity levels: Multi-load lower velo folder to OSC1, and higher velo folder to OSC2, patch OSC1 vol to Velocity -50, and OSC2 vol to Velocity +50.

Articulations: We can't effectively use them all in one patch yet, but you can get creative, like load low velo flute without vibrato to OSC1, then load higher velo flute WITH vibrato to OSC2.

But essentially you make different adjacent patches with the articulations like staccato and sustained versions.

Other stuff: I usually patch Master Pitch to Random, just slightly, value 1 or 2, to make subtle variations in pitch which is pleasing to the brain :)

Patch LPF cutoff to Velocity to have a more muffled sound at lowest velocities - set LPF freq. to something like 35-40, preferably with 12dB filter, then patch cutoff to Velocity, ca. 15-25

Patch Velocity slightly to Decay, so that low hits will have shorter sounds.

Use Release to have a more natural tail sound on samples, or to activate piano/keyboard type sustain pedal action.

Those are my most standard processes

fryyyyfryyyy germanyPosts: 161
    edited January 2019

Great stuff !
    I usually set aftertouch to modulate vibrato depth, if you check my videos you can see what i mean. It would be awesome to have OSC3 to layer the real vibrato samples as they sound more natural than the pitch modulation.

Post edited by fryyyy on

@Icoustik said:
    @Eddy We can't really use round robins per se currently, but you can make different patches with them :) And you COULD use something like the Rk-002 cable from Retrokits to have round robin capabilities with the Deluge :)

I have got a MIDIPAL Device, maybe I can map it like a RK 002

FilpalFilpal Paris, FrancePosts: 28

That's huge!!!! Many thanks!

moonroommoonroom DenmarkPosts: 18

This is my first post on this great forum, so hi everyone! I wanted to make a new post, but for some reason I can't, but I can comment :) My question also relates to this sample pack sort of.

It seems like the Deluge's CPU will overload pretty fast when I do the following:

I load a piano multisample from this pack, a piano. I set the release (sustain) pretty high, and add an arpeggiator (up&down). This will sound fine on it's own, but if I add a bass and a bass drum, the sound will begin to crackle. If I set the priority on the piano to "high", the drum and bass will disappear. Also going into the sound editor, everything will lag, and become unresponsive.
    I tried some other samples as well with long release (sustain). A harp from this pack, and another piano multisample I have, with the same result. If I turn the release/sustain down (and/or the arpeggiator) everything will run more smoothly.

What really seems to push the CPU is long release (sustain) and arpeggiator combined, in multisample mode. Maybe this is normal and the natural limit of the Deluge CPU? I was just wondering if anyone else have tried it.

Sorry if this should have been a new post, but I cant't for the life of me find out where I can create a new post :)

@moonroom
    I can´t reproduce that as far as I have experimented: Long release on bass and piano, arp on bass and piano and no crackles or stutters. Maybe your multisampled piano is faulty and you should built it up again

@Eddy Thank you for trying to reproduce it man. That is interesting. What kind of piano sound did you use? Originally I used a piano sound from the above mentioned "VSCO orchestral multisample library". To reproduce it I used "Upright Piano", and folder 3. I also tried with some other multisampled pianos I have from Native Instruments. Some works fine, but again I could reproduce it if I chose a piano sound which already has a long sustain in the sample itself.

Maybe it happens if the specific multisample already is a "big file" with a long sustain. If it is just a short sound, turning up the release won't max out the CPU I think. I actually just checked the upright piano sample in folder 3. The lower notes are around 6mb each, which is pretty big for one note. Again if I choose a piano sample with an already smaller sustain (and smaller file size), then I have no problem and can turn the release up as long as I want.
    But of course resampling is an option. I tried that and it sound fine :)

Ok. Just wanted to add that I checked out the VSCO upright piano samples in folder 3. The lower ones are about 30 seconds long each! So I can kind of understand it maxing out with full release and fast arp with many notes :)

DiamondEyesDiamondEyes Maidenhead, UKPosts: 39

More free to use license orchestral samples...
    http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/explore/sound_samples
    I havent attempted to load test any of these BTW

vdj1308vdj1308 United StatesPosts: 6

Thanks!!!

@moonroom Yes don't use high release on files with long tails of silence and the like :)

edited March 2020

Played around with stupid Bash a bit and batch processed some of this.
    It is a selection from the library, 26 brass, strings and woodwind instruments

Download: get link in youtube description

Playlist
    VSCO.brass.FHorn.mute.XML
    VSCO.brass.FHorn.sus.XML
    VSCO.brass.TromboneTenor.sus.XML
    VSCO.brass.tromboneOld.sus.XML
    VSCO.brass.trumpet.susviVSCO.brass.XML
    VSCO.brass.tuba.sus.XML
    VSCO.string.cello.pic.XML
    VSCO.string.cello.susvib.XML
    VSCO.string.cello.trem.XML
    VSCO.string.contrabasVSCO.string.SusNV.XML
    VSCO.string.contrabasVSCO.string.SusVib.XML
    VSCO.string.contrabasVSCO.string.Trem.XML
    VSCO.string.viola.susvib.XML
    VSCO.string.violin.ArcoVibForte.XML
    VSCO.string.violin.Spic.XML
    VSCO.string.violin.Trem.XML
    VSCO.string.violin.susVib.XML
    VSCO.wood.bassoon.sus.XML
    VSCO.wood.bassoon.vib.XML
    VSCO.wood.clarinet.susLong.XML
    VSCO.wood.flute.expvib.XML
    VSCO.wood.flute.susNV.XML
    VSCO.wood.flute.susvib.XML
    VSCO.wood.oboe.Stacc.XML
    VSCO.wood.oboe.Sus.XML
    VSCO.wood.oboe.Vib.XML

Post edited by amiga909 on
    SynthbertSynthbert GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 5

impressive!
    thank you mister amiga!

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

Wow! Just watched the video, downloading now. That set sounds fantastic!

Did you just use your bash script straight-up on the samples or was there more per-instrument finessing necessary?

edited March 2020

@hexagon5un said:
    Wow! Just watched the video, downloading now. That set sounds fantastic!

Did you just use your bash script straight-up on the samples or was there more per-instrument finessing necessary?

Thanks have to go to the open source VSCO :)
    The selection of the instruments was processed, so I get only the best variations, nothing fancy. XML are generated with a script, however most instruments sound exactly the same as when you load them from Icoustiks share.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

@amiga909 said:
    however most instruments sound exactly the same as when you load them from Icoustiks share.

Oops! Sorry Icoustik, and apparently Ron, for overlooking that it was your work. (At least in the translation.)

Thanks Amiga for turning me on to it, then. :)

It's frankly awesome to have a decent orchestra at your fingertips, sitting on the couch with headphones.

edited March 2020

@hexagon5un said:

@amiga909 said:
    however most instruments sound exactly the same as when you load them from Icoustiks share.

Oops! Sorry Icoustik, and apparently Ron, for overlooking that it was your work. (At least in the translation.)

It's frankly awesome to have a decent orchestra at your fingertips, sitting on the couch with headphones.

yeah, the library has character, i like the sounds too.
    the samples are from the original github archive, i dont know if Icoustik has applied something to the wavs, like wav tags. tried a few side by side and they sounded the same.
    i did it to experiment with writing XMLs instead of Multi load on the Deluge. when you load the samples with Multi load Deluge does some analysis where to put the notes. when you write the XML files yourself you can set the sample ranges manually. It does not seem to make a difference for most sounds I found, however naming files can (midi note names), for example in the screenshot below, with Multi load on the Deluge "_MOHorn_sus3" loads fine, "_MOHorn_sus3_renamedfiles" has a few notes off

@hexagon5un said:

@amiga909 said:

No worries my dude, we're all co-creating here <3 Yes, the VSCO library was a neat find indeed

edited March 2020

@amiga909 said:

@hexagon5un said:

@amiga909 said:

yeah, the library has character, i like the sounds too.
    the samples are from the original github archive, i dont know if Icoustik has applied something to the wavs, like wav tags. tried a few side by side and they sounded the same.
    i did it to experiment with writing XMLs instead of Multi load on the Deluge. when you load the samples with Multi load Deluge does some analysis where to put the notes. when you write the XML files yourself you can set the sample ranges manually. It does not seem to make a difference for most sounds I found, however naming files can (midi note names), for example in the screenshot below, with Multi load on the Deluge "_MOHorn_sus3" loads fine, "_MOHorn_sus3_renamedfiles" has a few notes off

As I mentioned in the OP, I've spent quite a bit of time organizing the samples into separate Deluge-loadable folders per velocity level etc. :)
    All the files were lumped together in the original library.
    At the time I did this, I didn't have the knowledge and tools I have now for note metadata.
    Have you encountered any issues with the samples as such when actually multi-loading (if you've even tried that is)? I COULD apply metadata to them at this point, if necessary. If not, føck it!

Post edited by Icoustik on

MendMusicMendMusic RomaniaPosts: 11

Fantastic pack, thank you so much. it was super useful on this track. it was produced on Deluge with the cello multi-sample

:) :) :smiley:

SolejkushaoSolejkushao MarseilleBeta Tester Posts: 38

@MendMusic said:
    Fantastic pack, thank you so much. it was super useful on this track. it was produced on Deluge with the cello multi-sample

MendMusic, the production is fantastic on this track!

MendMusicMendMusic RomaniaPosts: 11

Thank you @artsun , I hope we will have a full eq and it could sound this way on the deluge