Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Envelopes (decay time) finer adjustment?

Hi! One thing that I notice almost every time sculpting a sound, is that the difference in sound from "0" to "2" on the Decay time parameter is really quite huge, and it would be great being able to do finer adjustments of the short decay time, to get it where you actually need it to be. Does anyone agree? The result would be a much snappier envelope. This sounds like it could be an easy firmware update? (hopefully!) :)

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Agree

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

72versions72versions Auckland NZBeta Tester Posts: 39

ADSR could have multiple modes:

• short/medium/long
    • linear/logarithmic/exponential
    • skew
    MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

+1

There are a lot more parameters that could benefit from a higher resolution.

madeinspacemadeinspace AustraliaPosts: 6
    edited March 2019

+1

Totally agree I was going to create a post just for that when I noticed yours.

Yes there is very little nuance between a short and long decay/release time would be nive to tune this as this is crucial in sculpting a sound.

Also the longest attack is way too short in my opinion.

Post edited by madeinspace on
    rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111

LFO Speed/Depth and Sample Speed Too!

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

+a billion

I love the synth engine and i get so many interesting timbres with it. I just struggle badly with the lack of musicality in the envelopes. finer adjustments, multiple modes, or being able to draw your own envelopes would be a massive improvement. I'd stop using my DAW completely if they improve the envelopes.

(logged in just to comment)

NorisNoris AustriaPosts: 38

Agreed! In common it would be nice if other parameters have a higher resolution too.

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

When tweaked by a gold knob, many parameters seem to exhibit more precision than the displayed value would suggest. Does anyone know whether these more precise values are persisted with a sound?

PhonicPhonic USAPosts: 26
    edited June 2019

-update... while it could be convenient at times i no longer see a need for drawing automation on pad grid. I learned how to use the white instances to stop an effect exactly when the loop ends for buildips and sweeps without having effect carry over to next part. Deluge is awesome

+1 Id love to be able to use the pads to draw long filtersweeps for buildups... i have a bit of trouble getting it just how i want with live recording.

Post edited by Phonic on
    pbolgerpbolger ChristchurchPosts: 61

@duelinmarkers said:
    When tweaked by a gold knob, many parameters seem to exhibit more precision than the displayed value would suggest. Does anyone know whether these more precise values are persisted with a sound?

I think you are right. In the XML code for the patches the values are 8 digit hex numbers and have slightly more than 4 million possible values. That's why you don't hear 'zipper noise' when you sweep the pitch of an oscillator.
    Not sure where the Synthstrom 'grown ups' are (having a week in Vegas before Super Booth?) but I suspect the 50 values thing is a shortcut to make programming the synth less daunting.

rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111
    edited June 2019

@pbolger said:

@duelinmarkers said:

I think you are right. In the XML code for the patches the values are 8 digit hex numbers and have slightly more than 4 million possible values. That's why you don't hear 'zipper noise' when you sweep the pitch of an oscillator.
    Not sure where the Synthstrom 'grown ups' are (having a week in Vegas before Super Booth?) but I suspect the 50 values thing is a shortcut to make programming the synth less daunting.

Less daunting and increasing the value means more select knob scrolling as well.

I have suggested in the past but maybe use velocity based input on the select knob??

Edit:

Or the digit select method used in transpose.

Post edited by rcz on
    omgfoadomgfoad StockholmPosts: 8

Definitely this! I've hade the Deluge for about a week, it's an amazing machine but this is the one thing that bothers me most.