Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Looking for a good way to do a rhythmic gate

Mr_ForkMr_Fork North DakotaPosts: 59

A couple questions actually and thank you to everyone who has been responding. This is my first piece of hardware and I'm needing to change the way I think about how I do things. Anyway I'm looking for a good way to do rhythmic gating on certain sounds. In specific drones, pads, and vocals. I could use the sidechain but as it is currently being used to act as a pumping effect I can't really do that at the same time since sidechain is global. About the best I could figure out is slicing what I'm wanting to gate and just removing pieces in the sequencer. I also thought I could use the per step automation but per the instructions it only works per note instance which won't work because of longer notes. Anyone have a good way to do rhythmic gating?

Second question is when using the sidechain to duck my bass I get a really loud popping or clicking noise when the envelope releases. It only seems to happen on the bass though. Haven't heard it on any other track elements. I've tried messing with the release and the shape and tried different envelope speeds. Nothing seems to work. It doesn't seem to matter on how little of the sidechain effect I add either. Just changes how loud the popping is. Any ideas on what I could try here.

I did search the topics and didn't find anything for either topic but I may have missed something.

Again sorry for all the questions and thank you for all the help everyone has been so far.

Mr Fork

Comments

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

I haven't tried this myself but if your having issues with gating long notes add short note on a parallel note line (column) and then mute the whole column . Obviously will only work / soind good for full volume ducking not partial.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

what do you use as sidechain source? 808 kick drum?
    step automation: there is a workaround to mute a note row, and do step automation there. notes are muted but automation events are still applied.

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

@RandomAztec said:
    I haven't tried this myself but if your having issues with gating long notes add short note on a parallel note line (column) and then mute the whole column . Obviously will only work / soind good for full volume ducking not partial.

I have done this and it works pretty well though the volume will produce some clicking in my experience. I usually add a 1/32nd(or w/e value) note roll at the lowest or highest possible not, mute the note row, and then add parameter automation to each step on the muted row. You can create cool filter playable filter sequences or gates using the technique.

@amiga909 said:
    what do you use as sidechain source? 808 kick drum?

Yes actually. I just added a kit track to put in a kick to sidechain to. I believe the default is the 808 kick. I turned down the volume on it all the way so it's not making any noise.

@Mafoo said:

@RandomAztec said:

I have done this and it works pretty well though the volume will produce some clicking in my experience. I usually add a 1/32nd(or w/e value) note roll at the lowest or highest possible not, mute the note row, and then add parameter automation to each step on the muted row. You can create cool filter playable filter sequences or gates using the technique.

Wow yeah. Wouldn't have thought of that. Great suggestion. Thank you.

Also thank you @RandomAztec and @amiga909 . I forgot to mention you in there.

I tried using a ghost note to automate parameters last night. While it does work I get a fair bit of clicks/pops like @Mafoo said so it doesn't really seem like that will work.