Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sidechaining sliced samples/kits

Mr_ForkMr_Fork North DakotaPosts: 59

I ran into a bit of a quirk that I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong. I resampled and sliced up a vocal in order to create a gated sound but I wanted to add a bit of sidechain to it to give it some pump. Strangely I can't add sidechain. Using the effects button for sidechain trying to turn up the amount of the effect results in nothing. The LEDs showing the amount of the effect doesn't register any change. I have tried this on "affect all" and just individual slices. Nothing seems to work. Is sidechain strictly for "synth" tracks? I tried using the mod matrix to add the sidechain effect to master volume with just my slice track and my drum track with the kick playing and that didn't seem to work either.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Sorry, there's currently no way to apply sidechain to a whole kit via affect-entire. This is a popular feature request and something I'm hoping to implement in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks for the reply rohan. So applying to the entire kit is an upcoming feature which is perfectly fine and I'll work around it in the meantime. However, I couldn't even add it to a single slice after using the slice feature. I'll have to mess around with it more after work. Maybe I did something wrong. I love that the deluge staff is so responsive. Keep up the good work.

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Thanks Mr_Fork! There shouldn't be a problem applying it to a single slice. Is the sidechain triggering ok for other sounds - e.g. a normal synth?

I wanted to check things out completely before replying to this to make sure I had everything mapped out for what is wrong and I'm pretty sure it's something I did and not a issue so to speak. For some reason on that track I can't use sidechain. Haven't figured out why yet. However, I started a new project and sliced up the sample again and was able to put sidechain in just fine by setting sidechain on each slice individually. Anyway, thanks for your response. I'll keep digging into what I might have done wrong.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@Mr_Fork said:
    I wanted to check things out completely before replying to this to make sure I had everything mapped out for what is wrong and I'm pretty sure it's something I did and not a issue so to speak. For some reason on that track I can't use sidechain. Haven't figured out why yet. However, I started a new project and sliced up the sample again and was able to put sidechain in just fine by setting sidechain on each slice individually. Anyway, thanks for your response. I'll keep digging into what I might have done wrong.

needs a sample named kick, maybe u didnt had that sample or it was muted.
    opened a suggestion thread http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/1565/sidechain-compressor-improvements/p1?new=1