Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Extended ADSRs?

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

I've uploaded a bunch of custom samples that I want to use for creating ambient music.
Problem is - all the factory envelope parameters seem very limited in their range.
Might it be possible (perhaps using a software editor, or something) to extend the range?
Currently, the maximum Attack time, is really very short, less than a couple of seconds...

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

you could try modulating the master vol parameter.

Understood, however I'm not sure how that would affect things as far as polyphony, effects, multiple tracks, etc.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Option 1: Try the different sample playback modes (cut, once), they respond differently to the envelope

Option 2: Yes like amiga said, if you want fades, automate the volume - then consolidate the track to a new sample (to save resources and keep it tidy) with (quantized)-resampling (hold Rec + press Play for quantized start/ stop resampling,
    which is probably best when dealing with automation and the sequencer. /Hold Rec and press an aud. pad to instead resample from the start of a sound)

:)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

@Icoustik said:
    Option 1: Try the different sample playback modes (cut, once), they respond differently to the envelope

Option 2: Yes like amiga said, if you want fades, automate the volume - then consolidate the track to a new sample (to save resources and keep it tidy) with (quantized)-resampling (hold Rec + press Play for quantized start/ stop resampling,
    which is probably best when dealing with automation and the sequencer. /Hold Rec and press an aud. pad to instead resample from the start of a sound)

Thanks for that!

MafooMafoo Posts: 53

@Icoustik said:

there are always going to be work arounds. Having a better envelope is a much better solution since it is intuitive and does not require several steps to get the desired effect.

@Icoustik said:

Automating the attack will not really work - what if I were to be playing a series of individual notes at different times?
    I'm looking for a full, polyphonic attack option.
    Until there is a software update to deal with this (possible), I'm recreating my original synth samples with very long attack times. So far, it's the only thing that is giving me the times and control I need.
    I DO appreciate you taking the time, though

;0)

rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111

Indeed. Bump the limit up to 127 and increase the total time up to the equivalent of 96 on the current scale. More fine control and way extended capability.

Worried about time it taking too long and being painful when using the data entry wheel? Velocity control... twist fast to switch to +-2...5 per click mode.

I think the vast majority of parameters in the deluge could do with this treatment.

Curios to know if this is on Rohan's radar and what sort of technical obstacles there would be.

72versions72versions Auckland NZBeta Tester Posts: 39
    edited November 2018

ADSR could have multiple modes

• short/medium/long
    • linear/logarithmic/exponential
    • skew/slew
    Post edited by 72versions on

@72versions said:

• short/medium/long
    • skew/slew

Agreed. That would truly be ideal, but I'm not expecting Synthstrom to go beyond what other manufacturers have done in the past - if they could just provide some more common and useful ADSR times, I'd be more engaged.
    I guess we have to keep in mind that - while they made not have created a totally revolutionary synthesizer, they've undoubtedly created a revolutionary All-in-one box which is truly portable.
    I'm encouraged with all the updates they're doing. I expect the Deluge is going to continue to get better and more powerful and customizable...

@rcz said:
    Indeed. Bump the limit up to 127 and increase the total time up to the equivalent of 96 on the current scale. More fine control and way extended capability.

Worried about time it taking too long and being painful when using the data entry wheel? Velocity control... twist fast to switch to +-2...5 per click mode.

I think the vast majority of parameters in the deluge could do with this treatment.

Curios to know if this is on Rohan's radar and what sort of technical obstacles there would be.

I totally agree. I really notice it when I go to save a patch or song that's been created as '199' (where ever the default for a 'new' creation is) into something like slot '10', (to group it with others for performance, etc.) it's a slow process.

I'm sure this machine will operate quite differently a year from now. It's going to be interesting to watch it evolve.

rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111

@Will said:

@rcz said:

I totally agree. I really notice it when I go to save a patch or song that's been created as '199' (where ever the default for a 'new' creation is) into something like slot '10', (to group it with others for performance, etc.) it's a slow process.

I'm sure this machine will operate quite differently a year from now. It's going to be interesting to watch it evolve.

The ADSR is definitely usable as is too. Think maybe a software suggestion for velocity control though.

@72versions said:

• short/medium/long
    • skew/slew

This would rock. Pad matrix based curve editor??