Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Suggestion “Shift Mute” to Mute Kit Audition Pads per track for Real Time playing of Kit Sounds

My suggestion is simple, “shift mute” on a drum track, allowing one to silence the audition buttons on a given track, whilst allowing the audition buttons on another track to sound while being played in real time...

Essentially I am midi learning the kit audition pads to my Launchpad Pro. What I am trying to achieve is the ability to mute the audition pads themselves (so they don’t sound when hit). Even when I mute the individual kit sounds, as far as I can tell, that mute only applies to the sounds in the sequencer, not the audition buttons.

I’m looking for a way mute the audition buttons themselves (on a per track basis). Reason being is when playing live I need to switch between kits frequently and quickly. My current work arounds are Midi Learning each of the 8 rows on my LPP to a different kit or changing the Midi Channel for each kit. This works for the most part however it can be quite inefficient.

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

If you hold shift and press an audition pad it will be silent :) Both with kit rows and synths. And also, if you open the file browser right after last touched was silent, the sample previewing will be silent as well

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

ClemClem AUckLand Aotearoa NeuZEULOND Posts: 11

Thanks for the tip about silent sample previewing, that's something I've been meaning to look into!

@Icoustik said:
    If you hold shift and press an audition pad it will be silent :) Both with kit rows and synths. And also, if you open the file browser right after last touched was silent, the sample previewing will be silent as well

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately for what I’m trying to achieve, these tips don’t quite do the trick. I think if I give a workflow example, this might help.

Say I have a pad midi controller with only 8 pads. I Midi Learn the pads to 8 sounds on Kit A/Track 1, at the same time I have 3 different kits loaded onto tracks 2,3,4. I now want to switch from Kit A to Kit B/track two and play those audition buttons live (finger drumming) with the same 8 pad midi controller. I can easily midi learn the 8 new sounds of Kit B to the same 8 pads on my Midi controller, but it will sound the sounds from Kit A at the same time as Kit B.

So my hope is for a way to mute the audition pads on Kit A (or any Kit) so that the same 8 midi controller pads sound only one Kit at a time. This way I could have let’s say 8 completely different kits loaded onto 8 tracks, then simply unmute the kit/audition buttons of the one I want to play live in the moment. My suggestion is “shift mute” as a way to mute the kit/audition buttons on a given kit track.

Oh you mean you wanna mute the MIDI notes! Can't do that currently anyway.
    But why don't u just change the midi channel and use the same pads? It's fast on the Launchpad pro, I use it too

@Icoustik said:
    Oh you mean you wanna mute the MIDI notes! Can't do that currently anyway.
    But why don't u just change the midi channel and use the same pads? It's fast on the Launchpad pro, I use it too

Indeed changing the Midi Channel is fast on the LPP, however, for my portable setup, I don’t always have/use my LPP, in some cases I use my Roli Lighpad Block M, and am considering an Akai LPD8 wireless as the Launch Pad Pro is not battery powered, nor can it be bus powered by my iPad (central hub of my portable setup).

Bro! You can battery power the Launchpad by using a typical powerbank with the USB plug (just not the smallest size, those thin almost like a finger ones - not enough current/ mA). I've just velcroed one to the upper right side of mine, and use a neat short little USB cable, and it powers it for many, many hours :)

@Icoustik said:
    Bro! You can battery power the Launchpad by using a typical powerbank with the USB plug (just not the smallest size, those thin almost like a finger ones - not enough current/ mA). I've just velcroed one to the upper right side of mine, and use a neat short little USB cable, and it powers it for many, many hours :)

Bro! I am aware of the battery pack hack for LPP, and I do appreciate all of the workaround suggestions. However, I was hoping this thread would have some input regarding my suggestion of “shift-mute” as an incredibly simple way to silence the audition buttons on a given kit/track as a means to a more efficient workflow when playing kits live. In theory, one could have 30 kit tracks on a song, all Midi learned to the same pads, and quickly “shift-mute/unmute” to allow them to control and play only the kit/sounds needed at a specific moment in performance.

edited September 2018

Your suggestion is right here for people to vote on it. It's a valid idea like any other, and it's pretty straightforward. It's one specific way to do it, and those who feel it's useful to them will upvote :)
    In the meantime there's the workarounds.

I'd suggest not referring to it as "silencing the audition buttons", but rather silencing midi notes, or something else less confusable.
    Some time ago we had it so that muting with the mute buttons would also silence the midi notes, but most users preferred it like it is now so it got changed again.
    'Silencing the audition' buttons is more descriptive of the process I mentioned initially: it'll silently trigger an audition pad. And the regular mute button silences sequenced sound of the aud. pad, except for live incoming midi notes

Post edited by Icoustik on