Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

file hierarchy

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

Hey, just doing some prep -awaiting delivery of my Deluge in the next few weeks, and hoping to get some insight as to how to organize my files, samples, kits, etc., into folders that will translate from the SD card, into the hardware.

I haven't read anything yet that spells all this out clearly.

Screen grabs, or any other info, about how to organize my original samples, kits, etc. would be much appreciated

gratitude,

will

;0)

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

presets and song files cannot be structured, just plain folders with xml files.

samples can be structured freely, i try to follow some guide lines as the 4 character display (it can scroll text though) is not a pleasure to search for a sample.

• short folder names. my samples root dir looks like this: drm, vox, inst, fx, ..
    • not too many nested folders, not too many samples in one folder, no mix of samples and folders in the same folder.
    • clean files. only wav files, no other audio files, and no “dirt” files like ds_store on mac.
    • good memory to know where to find what :)

@amiga909 said:
    presets and song files cannot be structured, just plain folders with xml files.

samples can be structured freely, i try to follow some guide lines as the 4 character display (it can scroll text though) is not a pleasure to search for a sample.

• short folder names. my samples root dir looks like this: drm, vox, inst, fx, ..
    • not too many nested folders, not too many samples in one folder, no mix of samples and folders in the same folder.
    • clean files. only wav files, no other audio files, and no “dirt” files like ds_store on mac.
    • good memory to know where to find what :)

Thanks - exactly the type of info I need.
    When you say 'not too many samples in one folder' - can you elaborate?
    eg. If I have a drum folder, should it contain less than 20 samples? less than 200?
    Do you have other drum folders nested there (kick, snr, tom, cym), or just an assortment of drum WAV files?

thanks again

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@Will said:
    Thanks - exactly the type of info I need.
    When you say 'not too many samples in one folder' - can you elaborate?
    eg. If I have a drum folder, should it contain less than 20 samples? less than 200?
    Do you have other drum folders nested there (kick, snr, tom, cym), or just an assortment of drum WAV files?

'not too many samples in one folder', 'should it contain less than 20 samples? less than 200?': Well its mostly personal preference :) just tedious to browse hundreds of files with the Deluge file browser, to get to the last file you gotta turn the data knob for a long time. there is no fast forward mode yet, sadly.
    ' other drum folders nested': yes. also loop and single-shot.

understood - thanks

w

;0)