Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Drums can be Off Time when Shift Switching tracks.

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

An interesting way to do "drum solos" etc is to have multiple similar tracks, and quickly switch between them with the Shift key!
( Another reason I'd like to be able to Latch the Shift Key. ; - )

Often times it works as expected, but occasionally it moves the timing of the drum a bit? Which doesn't sound quite right.

It would be best to keep the timing rock solid. If a note start is missed, it just isn't played, rather than being played off time.

You can hear what I'm talking about at 1:10 in this video.

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
YouTube: VJFranzK

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

hmmm.. hard to say for sure from the demo. actually i dont think the timing is off. there is something odd at 1.10 but its rather a skipped or cut note.

Listen Clooosely - it will play some drums slightly late sometimes when switching.

Better to NOT play a drum than have it play offbeat, that's a slight "trainwreck"

yeah, it does. if u could reproduce it with stock samples and send the song xml, would surely help. there is something odd.
    at least there is no sync lag, it does not loose timing between tracks over time if u switch them with rocket speed.

This is all stock samples, and a fairly basic pattern.

I have noticed this can happen in any sequence, when you use Shift-Change Color in the middle of a bar instead of at the end of it.

It must be the way it is programmed, and I believe it would not be hard to fix, if this was considered a problem by users/
    ( What I think it is doing is: if you are switching into a note at "mid note" it will play that note late. What you'd want is to NOT play that note, if you miss the start point of it, thus no more "offbeat drums" )

@VJFranzK said:
    ( What I think it is doing is: if you are switching into a note at "mid note" it will play that note late. What you'd want is to NOT play that note, if you miss the start point of it, thus no more "offbeat drums" )

yeah, that explanation makes sense.

"Think of 3 notes, and then don't play them." - Miles Davis.
    I still wish for this fix! So I can program all kinds of weird drum solo parts, and have them stay locked! It CAN work.

MachineAgeVoodooMachineAgeVoodoo BerlinPosts: 17

I know exactly what you mean and you are correct. This skip happens also at anytime mutes are done within one kit

I can't believe nobody else is concerned by this, the fix should not be so hard :s

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

Definitely agree this hurts the performance value of Shift-Launch and kit-row mutes in some contexts. I could imagine wanting the behavior on long-sustaining notes.

If a note's start point is missed by the current play head, then it just should not be heard. Triggering it slightly later actually makes no sense if the composition is considered perfect, as it is in most electronic music.