Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

See Deluge as Drive - Edit over USB

workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222
edited August 2020 in Deluge Software Suggestions

What would be great is if the Deluge showed up as a disk drive so I could load/edit samples directly on the SD card without having to take it out.

Post edited by workergray on

Comments

strych9strych9 Palm Springs, CAPosts: 8

That's one of the major things I'd like to see. Would make it so much faster and easier to load up samples.

rpc9943rpc9943 New York usaBeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 184

and for firmware :)

The user and all related content has been deleted.

this one is sadly starting to be a bother for me. With my MPC I can just load it right up on my PC quickly, for transferring samples and doing file management. With the Deluge, even though it's not a SUPER huge deal to have to unplug the card, load it up on my PC, safely disconnect it, plug it back into the unit, it is just a slow enough process to be discouraging. It prevents me from being able to easily play with sound and samples, back up my songs, load firmware, etc. Which then makes me turn to my MPC more often. Any little thing that gets in the way ends up being troublesome for creation. Would truly love to be able to easily connect to my PC for access!

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Would be cool to have for sure, not a big issue for me as I dont have the Deluge connected to a PC when making music.

@amiga909 said:
    I dont have the Deluge connected to a PC when making music.

I don't either, but I do have a massive library of samples on my PC, and editing them is so much easier on it, so when I have a particular thing in mind it would rock to be able to swiftly get it onto the machine.

To be honest, this feature sounds rather complex (from a developer point of view) while it is just for convenience. A workaround could be using two SD cards which are swapped. Or you could just use a random MIDI controller hooked to your DAW to trigger your 80 GB sample lib ;P

In my point of view the main strength of the deluge is the ability to perform standalone without using a computer and I hope the development has strong focus on this.

Point being though, that I don't keep my hardware hooked to the computer, generally. The Deluge is standalone and that's its strength. It's a pain to get the card in and out, though, and I'm afraid of doing it too much and damaging the unit over time. Being able to connect to a device via USB for librarian usage isn't anything new, it's been around for a long time now.

The fact that I avoid taking the card in and out as much as possible means I don't use the Deluge as much as my other devices that are easier to work with. I understand that for some people it may not be a priority, and that's totally cool. It is important to me, though, and that's why I am posting in this thread.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@strych9 said:

@amiga909 said:
    I dont have the Deluge connected to a PC when making music.

I don't either, but I do have a massive library of samples on my PC, and editing them is so much easier on it, so when I have a particular thing in mind it would rock to be able to swiftly get it onto the machine.

Agreed, editing sample is a use case. Software editor is mentioned in the sticky post too. It would be rad if we even could live edit samples, means saving a sample via USB while Deluge is playing the sample. So you would not have to reassign a sample. Might not be possible due to IO conflicts.

mbangmbang Gothenburg, SwedenPosts: 61

Edit over USB is in my opinion a low priority update - sure it would be easier to just connect a cable between deluge and a computer, but just for moving samples and doing file structure changes i think it qualifies as a "luxury" update and there are many other things that i´d rather use the dev´s time for.

Just pulling out the SD card and insert it into a computer is quite simple.

32 people want this. I hope you're not suggesting they couldn't figure out the SD card.
    As to what priority it has, I'll leave that to the Synthstrom Audible team.
    if you don't like the suggestion, you don't have to vote for it. And commenting on it just bumps it to the top.

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

@strych9 said:
    Point being though, that I don't keep my hardware hooked to the computer, generally. The Deluge is standalone and that's its strength. It's a pain to get the card in and out, though, and I'm afraid of doing it too much and damaging the unit over time. Being able to connect to a device via USB for librarian usage isn't anything new, it's been around for a long time now.

The fact that I avoid taking the card in and out as much as possible means I don't use the Deluge as much as my other devices that are easier to work with. I understand that for some people it may not be a priority, and that's totally cool. It is important to me, though, and that's why I am posting in this thread.

All good points, and it is a serious consideration. I like to be able to have files organized on my laptop, and in the case of the Deluge, I'm thinking about assorted banks of samples, sounds, songs, etc.
    Do you know if anyone make a device which plugs into an SD slot, and perhaps has multiple slots (like a USB hub) - which can be activated separately?
    That way, there'd be less wear and tear on the SD slot on the hardware.

Food for thought...

Another consideration is: the sampler plays directly from the SD card. If you're playing a song with samples, you DON'T eject the disk to add more-- you wait.
    Granted, it's probably a rare circumstance to need to load new samples on to the card while a song is in play, but in such a circumstance this would be an invaluable feature.
    I think most devices that use SD cards that also have USB connectivity usually show up as an external drive just for the aforementioned reasons and others.

DVBDVB USAPosts: 48

@mbang said:
    Edit over USB is in my opinion a low priority update - sure it would be easier to just connect a cable between deluge and a computer, but just for moving samples and doing file structure changes i think it qualifies as a "luxury" update and there are many other things that i´d rather use the dev´s time for.

Just pulling out the SD card and insert it into a computer is quite simple.

I hope Rohan & staff don't agree with this ... workflow & user interface are 2 of the most important things a device needs to cater to. The Deluge risks being a device that looks really awesome at first sight but kills your flow once you go from just "messing around" to trying to get shit finished. IMO, this is the biggest problem with the Deluge ... it's getting stuffed with features but logistics like filenaming or sample management is being ignored & this shit will kill your workflow.

The USB problem was such a pain in the ass that Jamie Fenton wrote Downrush to deal with it & I & others bought a wifi SD card to work around it. Unfortunately, uploading over web browser is nearly as tedious as pulling the card in & out.

Ok, i´m convinced now that i´ve thought about it a bit more and read your comments. Some solid points there and i agree with you - USB editing would indeed be a nice feature if i were to work more with samples, which i figure most people do.
    So i take back my previous post and claim the opposite!

DVBDVB USAPosts: 48

@mbang said:
    Ok, i´m convinced now that i´ve thought about it a bit more and read your comments. Some solid points there and i agree with you - USB editing would indeed be a nice feature if i were to work more with samples, which i figure most people do.

Mind the gap, no joke, the first time I took the SD card out for editing, it fell into the machine! I'm very careful now to keep it straight until it's inserted/ejected completely.

Besides, this will future-proof the machine. I have 4 laptops but only half of them have an SD card reader & in the future, who knows.

@DVB said:

@mbang said:

Mind the gap, no joke, the first time I took the SD card out for editing, it fell into the machine! I'm very careful now to keep it straight until it's inserted/ejected completely.

Besides, this will future-proof the machine. I have 4 laptops but only half of them have an SD card reader & in the future, who knows.

Yeah, and in my 2015 mbp the sd card reader doesn´t even work so it´s kind of limiting even if that´s not my studio computer. USB editing will of course make some day to day operations way easier and i´m all for a simper workflow; it´s why i got the deluge in the first place!
    Hopefully, since the focus now seems on sample editing and processing, this can also be added as part of the update.

supchikovsupchikov Beta Tester Posts: 19

+

luke_pankauluke_pankau AustraliaPosts: 13
    edited January 2020

I'd like this very much.

i think the deluge is very limited with its single L/R audio outputs and that a comprehensive USB Audio implementation is needed. it would bridge the gap of raw unmastered songs in the deluge and compilations that are finely tuned, mastered and finalised within a DAW.
    the waldorf kyra is an fpga synth and is capable of streaming all 8 of its 96kHz 24 bit audio output channels Via ASIO over usb to an audio workstation.
    the implementation of something similar would definitely be a game changer and would streamline the beginning to end of the music making process

being able to access the removable storage on the sd card in the deluge via pc without the need of plugging/unplugging the sd card would be handy too, especially if i can just set a directory shortcut up in 'places' on the left of ableton's main arranger screen.
    it would also help with the exporting of stuff like midi files i've created in songs in my daw to the deluge
    maybe jamie fenton can make his midian software into a vst for this if it ever happens :wink:

Post edited by luke_pankau on
    SiccaViccASiccaViccA OsakaPosts: 68

@workergray said:
    What would be great is if the Deluge showed up as a disk drive so I could load/edit samples directly on the SD card without having to take it out.

i too felt it was a needed fuNCtion .. BUT THE WIFI SD CARD SOLUTION WORKS WELL FOR ME ..IT WAS A BIT TRICKY TO GET GOING BUT WORKS FINE .
    BTW sorry if my suggestion is late n your already know about .

NaenynNaenyn United StatesPosts: 14

Took me a bit of searching, but glad I found this thread. I was going to create my own. +1 for adding a mode to treat the deluge as a sd card reader, allowing the card to be mounted in the OS of the computer the Deluge is attached to.

bartjanbartjan netherlandsPosts: 6

just to add: many computers nowadays don't have a card reader.

i currently have to grab my 8 year old laptop every time i want to edit things on the sd card. guess i'll just have to buy an usb card reader or the wifi sd card.

stustu Posts: 1

+1 would love be able to transfer samples or even better edit them

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

@stu said:

You should be able to do that with a flashair card.

chvadchvad Brooklyn, NYBeta Tester Posts: 39

+1. Just a simple data transfer function would be great.

www.controlledbleeding.com | www.chvad.com

blinkingpenguinblinkingpenguin United StatesPosts: 11

@djAzid said:

@stu said:

Are these even still being made? I've been watching for prices that aren't crazy but the prices just seem to keep going up.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

@blinkingpenguin said:

@djAzid said:

@stu said:

Are these even still being made? I've been watching for prices that aren't crazy but the prices just seem to keep going up.

I read somewhere they are discontinued

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

@blinkingpenguin said:

@djAzid said:

@stu said:

You can still find them (somewhere), but the few left are expensive.
    Toshiba sold everything to kioxia and they (kioxia) even have the configsw for the card (dec. 2020) on their website. But you can't find any flashair cards anymore on there.

rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111

Never say never but a usb audio stream would be challenging to pull off with the deluge as is. Issue is that in addition to its normal function the same cpu has to run the audio encode (along with its normal i2s encode) as well as a usb comm stack, not even sure how much portability between environments there are in existing usb stacks, or even what would be used natively/easily ported to run on the deluge.

for usb sd card access again it would be challenging to make it work while the normal deluge functions are running. However having a usb mode you can switch into would not be an issue workflow wise. In this mode, the processor will mainly need to pipe the sd cards spi stream into some kind of class compliant mass storage device library running on the processor.

In some devices you actually see separate chips that take an i2s or spi stream and run comm code that interacts with the usb host. All on a separate chip that whoever is actually designing device will just drop in not program.

From what i can tell there is actually an i2s steam coming from the deluges processor however its used to drive the d2a converters not some kind of codec. So the deluge would have to have code to do the usb host negotiation, speed setting, handle hubs etc, as well as indicate properly what kind of device(mass storage, uart serial, audio etc) it is acting as to the host computer, all run on the main cpu. Seems like a lot in addition to running the actual audio engine.

porkloinporkloin Fairbanks, Alaska, USABeta Tester Posts: 10

This would be awesome to see happen!