Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Third Party Software for the Deluge

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

Please start a new 'discussion' for each new project to discuss. Developers: If you are prepared to support users and want your own 'category' in this section, email me: ian@synthstrom.com

Developers: If you are prepared to support users and want your own catergory in this section, email me: ian@synthstrom.com

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

-

Alright, I'll do the start.. Thanks Ian & minigoat for initiating this.

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

👍 @amiga909

https://neuma.studio/deluge-commander.html

Deluge Commander by Neuma Studio

Utility to organize Synthstrom Deluge sample library, by moving and renaming samples while updating references in KITS, SONGS and SYNTHS.

@minigoat said:
    https://neuma.studio/deluge-commander.html

Deluge Commander by Neuma Studio

Utility to organize Synthstrom Deluge sample library, by moving and renaming samples while updating references in KITS, SONGS and SYNTHS.

Cool, wish i had known about this project earlier, probably wouldnt have started mine. Though the apps could complement each other well. Mine fixes the xmls after u got a mess, neumas app prevents getting problems. would not mind looking at a collab as its the same technology.

Well, I'm grateful you've made your version, @amiga909 😊 Options are nice and sometimes necessary for some. You could probably add some more functionality to it too, since youve likely learned a fair bit about the Code since starting the build.

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143
    edited September 2018

Some of you non-Facebook crew might not have seen my latest: a random Synth generator written in Python.

Install and stuff is a bit messy as it requires Python 3.x, Pip tools and a couple of Python libraries (it's all in the readme text etc.). There's loads of configuration options to limit or ignore certain parameters. Really exposes the potential in the Deluge's synth engine.

It's command-line only (so have to run it on your computer) and basically you supply a base patch number e.g. 250 and it will generate 26 random variations (250a, 250b, 250c etc.) based on the parameters you set. You then just copy the .XML files to the SYNTH folder on your SD card. You can run it without any options to use default randomisation and run it without any parameters at all to show the options.

https://github.com/neilbaldwin70/rndsynth

Report back here with any problems or suggestions.

Neil

Post edited by neilbaldwin on
    mosfranmosfran FrancePosts: 5

Install and stuff is a bit messy as it requires Python 3.x, Pip tools and a couple of Python libraries (it's all in the readme text etc.). There's loads of configuration options to limit or ignore certain parameters. Really exposes the potential in the Deluge's synth engine.

Hi @neilbaldwin .
    Thank you for what you do for delugians
    I've downloaded the random presets you've shared on Facebook and I'm impressed by the quality (and the weirdness) of them
    Could you please make a short tutorial on how to proceed when you are, like me, a dumb in computer languages?
    I've read the readme text but didn't help me at all

amazing work neil, thanks for sharing the source

mbangmbang Gothenburg, SwedenPosts: 61
    edited September 2018

I´ve started looking into making an editor (i´m a software developer), at this point i´m thinking standalone but also a VST version wouldn´t be unthinkable. The web editor is great but i really want to have direct connection with the machine and control over as many parameters as possible in real-time.
    I´m hesitating a bit since Deluge is quite simple to program on it´s own, but i think sometimes using an editor gives a better overview. Will keep you posted.

Post edited by mbang on
    WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

I agree that the unit is pretty good just as a piece of hardware, but I do find it a bit awkward to read the shortcuts, esp. in poor light scenarios. I'm sure that will change when I have a better handle on it.

I suspect I'm like quite a few other owners/users, who bought this gear, because I'm sick of staring at a screen, and using a mouse to make music.

That said, I can't help thinking that perhaps if someone was going to create an 'external' editor/librarian, the most appealing to me - would be an iOS device. A touch screen (iPad) would be SO welcome. (I don't even have an iPad, but if it would allow me really fast configuration/arrangement of presets, etc., I'd consider buying one.

(every time I have to write patch #400 which I've just created, into patch #4 - for instance, I'm really frustrated with the whole scrolling with a knob)

w

@Will check the first post of this thread, 3 options to run on a ipad 😀

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

;0)

Ke10gKe10g BerlinBeta Tester Posts: 26

Hey peeps,

Yesterday I took the time to set up an MPE song in the Deluge, for use with roli seaboard blocks. This was a bit tedious, since I had to 'learn' the relevant parameters on a per voice basis: make a synth preset, map aftertouch to some parameter, copy the preset to as many tracks as voices i want, then on each track learn the midi note channel for that voice, and learn the 'Y' parameter (cc 74 for each channel by default on seaboard) to some parameter on each of the voice tracks. I realize this could be streamlined by modifying the XML directly. Is anyone working on a tool to automatically generate MPE projects in this way?

I'm thinking of a web interface where you select an existing preset, map aftertouch, velocity, and cc74 to whatever you want, select the number of voices you want, choose a midi start channel, and the program automatically creates a Song with the appropriately configured tracks.

yeah cool idea ke10g, creating song xmls is a new idea afaik

@mosfran said:

Hi @neilbaldwin .
    Thank you for what you do for delugians
    I've downloaded the random presets you've shared on Facebook and I'm impressed by the quality (and the weirdness) of them
    Could you please make a short tutorial on how to proceed when you are, like me, a dumb in computer languages?
    I've read the readme text but didn't help me at all

Only just seen this as I don't visit here often (though that will change as I'm quitting Facebook completely this week).

Do you need help installing or running the tool?

fryyyyfryyyy germanyPosts: 161

Could you make a Javascript port of the tool, then i could include it in the web editor, should be easier for users to run :)

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Hello to all our amazing Deluge 3rd party software developers! I just wanted to run something by you all to get your feedback on a potential upcoming change to the Deluge XML file format.

As part of the (relatively small) changes to the Deluge's XML file format to support the new audio clip features in V3.0, I have the option to make a bigger change where many of the Deluge parameters represented in the XML file would be expressed as XML "attributes" within their parent tag, rather than as their own tag as they are currently. The main advantage would be smaller and "nicer" (IMO) files.

However, I can see that for a change that isn't strictly necessary, this could cause a headache for programmers who have put in the time to implement the reading of the current Deluge file format - so I'm interested in your feedback. Do you think this would be a good idea, or a source of unnecessary work?

Further details of what I'm proposing:

• The attributes mostly would keep the same names as the tags previously had.
    • Files saved the old way with tags would still be readable by the Deluge - so if your software only creates, but does not read, Deluge files, you wouldn't have to change anything.
    • I would also, for the first time, provide at least a basic level of documentation about the file format.

Please let me know your thoughts :)

leehuleehu UKPosts: 2

Hi, thx for the heads up. I think it's a more correct use of XML and agree with you that it's a nicer format, though ultimately cosmetic as you say.

Processing the files for me in C++ is virtually the same either way, so am happy for the change to be made.

And looking forward to the documentation! :smiley:

jamiefayejamiefaye Chicago, ILBeta Tester Posts: 86

Downrush converts XML to JSON internally, and then converts-back to XML when it writes the file back out. The only thing it would need to be able to handle attributes is a table indicating which are attributes and which are nested elements. This could be provided by a DTD.

DannoHungDannoHung Posts: 11

Would it be insane to ask if the Deluge could just support JSON files directly? They're both just tree-shaped structures, right? Any binary data could be base64 encoded.

Not sure how big an ask that is though.

@leehu said:
    Hi, thx for the heads up. I think it's a more correct use of XML and agree with you that it's a nicer format, though ultimately cosmetic as you say.

Processing the files for me in C++ is virtually the same either way, so am happy for the change to be made.

And looking forward to the documentation! :smiley:

I agree with Lee. It's probably the correct way to do things. Can't deny it's going to be painful to refactor the tools I've made but that shouldn't stop you going down the right path.

Thanks for your feedback everyone, sounds like attributes are go! I'll be in touch with further details around the time we go to beta, at the latest :)

3rd-party Deluge software developers, I've put together some basic documentation for the new XML file format that the Deluge saves to - updated for firmware V3.0. I'll be adding to this more over time, and edit-access will also be granted to developers of established / released 3rd-party Deluge software.

Hope this is helpful for you - obviously it's not a complete specification - let me know if there are particular areas you need further info on and I'll update it as I have time.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11DUuuE1LBYOVlluPA9McT1_dT4AofZ5jnUD5eHvj7Vs/

highstandardshighstandards CHPosts: 56

Great move, thank you Rohan.

really appreciate this doc, thanks.

Wow, thanks for the insight rohan!

esc746esc746 IrelandPosts: 12

Reading threads like this pumps up my enthusiasm for a Deluge. Open file formats, communication with third party developers... I love this approach!

SammySammy DurnessPosts: 10

@rohan said:
    3rd-party Deluge software developers, I've put together some basic documentation for the new XML file format that the Deluge saves to - updated for firmware V3.0. I'll be adding to this more over time, and edit-access will also be granted to developers of established / released 3rd-party Deluge software.

Hope this is helpful for you - obviously it's not a complete specification - let me know if there are particular areas you need further info on and I'll update it as I have time.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11DUuuE1LBYOVlluPA9McT1_dT4AofZ5jnUD5eHvj7Vs/

In the way of a suggestion. It would be great if there was a way to get this information from a running Deluge. I would quite like to write an app that displays this information in real time over USB as the track is modified. using a tablet or a desktop for the rendering.

RandomAztecRandomAztec IrelandPosts: 108

A heads up display/ editors showing envelopes etc. In Real time would be amazing.
    I'm not sure if flashair can accomadate your needs

KenoubiKenoubi United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 46

@rohan said:

This is great!

Would it be possible to document what automation looks like? That's the only major thing I can see that isn't covered.