Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Keep an eye on little and logical issues, and complete functions

2»

Comments

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    edited August 2018

Yes. Haha...and I would hope your future comments might be a little more focused on trusting us to do our job :D

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    MK_0MK_0 RPosts: 21

Oh, looks like some posts get deleted? At least all posts of solipsvs and posts from others which refer to them?

nosepeoplenosepeople United StatesPosts: 49

@MK_0 said:
    Oh, looks like some posts get deleted? At least all posts of solipsvs and posts from others which refer to them?

Fine with me. That guy was like a rash. I responded to him at one point (I probably shouldn't have but he seriously needed to be called out) and I'm happy to see that get deleted also.

Let's get back to constructive conversation.

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

Yip, I had already banned Alien Brain from the forum once before, I was giving him a little bit of lenience under his new username, solipsvs, but it was only a very short rope. He is the only person I've banned/blocked, haha, and I've had to block him twice :)

JahraJahra Posts: 17

oh i think same like you guys. hoping next update is a lot smoothing issues. for me song mode and change clone tracks is a lot unclear. and few more. but still faith! <3

MK_0MK_0 RPosts: 21

Copied this from another thread, because I guess it fits here very well:

@DVB said:
    ... but I hope that Rohan eventually turns away from this "jack of all trades" approach & focus on a singular development path ... he just introduced this powerful Arranger mode so why not continue to refine that instead of veering into sound module territory?

Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to explain in this thread.

There are many features Rohan started to implement, but then he stopped the development at a 50% level, and started with completely new features. Why? Why not finishing them? Just look to undo/redo: many parameters (especially the synth ones) can’t be undone, others can. There is no logic. Or look to copy/paste: you just can copy single event types, not everything. Really? Or the audio input, you can totally destroy the audio signal, but no simple audio in thrugh?

These are just examples, of course the list is much longer.

My guess is that once the main feature set is mostly done, Rohan will circle back and do a "refinement" software release or two that addresses these kinds of issues. That's just a guess though.

YogiYogi GermanyPosts: 16

Adding new exciting features is much more fun than debugging existing code - believe me, i known what i'm talking about, being a soft- and hardware developer for more than 30 years now.
    But - this is a comercial product, lots of people have paid for it. The crash reports on facebook are frightening, and i had a crash and lost my work recently too. A total fun killer! And nobody likes to use such a machine in a live performance. So Rohan, get a cup of coffee and debug, debug, debug... Look for critical sections, memory leaks, stack overflows and all this kind of stuff. Reliability is most important.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@Yogi said:
    Adding new exciting features is much more fun than debugging existing code - believe me, i known what i'm talking about, being a soft- and hardware developer for more than 30 years now.
    But - this is a comercial product, lots of people have paid for it. The crash reports on facebook are frightening, and i had a crash and lost my work recently too. A total fun killer! And nobody likes to use such a machine in a live performance. So Rohan, get a cup of coffee and debug, debug, debug... Look for critical sections, memory leaks, stack overflows and all this kind of stuff. Reliability is most important.

Thats slightly disrespectful, mate. Do you provide loads of unresolved bug reports?
    You refer to one single crash u had and frightening fb reports.
    What happened to you exactly? What did u loose? I am looking forwards not to be frightened by your report.

Deluge has been rock solid for me. Sure, i do a backup of the SD card now and then, but thats because SD cards (especially cheap ones) cant be trusted in general. Plus, i am very capable of loosing a SD card somewhere 😋

Yeah, I lost some Deluge work a very few times in 2 years. Due to low battery or a rare freeze. For example when slicing a long sample into many slices. Never lost more than an unsaved song. Never had a corrupt xml file.

Performing live with the Deluge is a no-brainer for me, Deluge is made for that and delivers.

@amiga909 said:

@Yogi said:

Thats slightly disrespectful, mate. Do you provide loads of unresolved bug reports?
    You refer to one single crash u had and frightening fb reports.
    What happened to you exactly? What did u loose? I am looking forwards not to be frightened by your report.

Deluge has been rock solid for me. Sure, i do a backup of the SD card now and then, but thats because SD cards (especially cheap ones) cant be trusted in general. Plus, i am very capable of loosing a SD card somewhere 😋

Yeah, I lost some Deluge work a very few times in 2 years. Due to low battery or a rare freeze. For example when slicing a long sample into many slices. Never lost more than an unsaved song. Never had a corrupt xml file.

Performing live with the Deluge is a no-brainer for me, Deluge is made for that and delivers.

There's nothing disrespectful about asking for a reliable product. OK, it's been solid for you. Great. That doesn't invalidate other people's experiences. You have a habit of jumping on people who post here about problems they have and trying to shut them down. That's disrespectful.

Speaking of live use- I've had two times now where a delay I was adjusting ran away from me (infinite feedback) and couldn't be turned back down. I had to reload the pattern to stop it. These were both during live performances.

Being live performances I couldn't stop what I was doing to try and get info for a bug report, and it seems to be a very occasional bug anyways and difficult to replicate. So I'm left wondering how to avoid this. I may need to just not adjust delay amount/feedback levels during a performance - which would really be a shame. Does posting about that make me disrespectful? Are you going to neg me for not filing a bug report for an intermittent bug I can't replicate consistently?

(In case you don't know, a bug report without consistent replication instructions and without device logs or other diagnostic data (which we don't access to as users unless I'm mistaken) is pretty much useless. I do software QA for a living).

You and one or two people on the FB groups seem to take legitimate criticism as an attack and try to "shoot the messengers". Please stop.

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128

@nosepeople said:
    Being live performances I couldn't stop what I was doing to try and get info for a bug report, and it seems to be a very occasional bug anyways and difficult to replicate. So I'm left wondering how to avoid this. I may need to just not adjust delay amount/feedback levels during a performance - which would really be a shame. Does posting about that make me disrespectful? Are you going to neg me for not filing a bug report for an intermittent bug I can't replicate consistently?

So if I understand correctly - you're complaining that a bug you haven't reported and that you can't replicate even when trying hasn't been fixed yet?

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

VoltVolt Posts: 55

Just thinking loud: When version 2.0 was released, maybe some people expected a very “polished“ firmware update, because it was a huge step from 1.4 to 2.0 (number-wise)? That’s maybe why they get a little bit disappointed, when they saw that there has been just minor fixes in workflow? This is at least what I heard about some people (friends) I know.

However, we will see what 2.1 brings. We need to be patiently.

mcpepemcpepe Marbella, SpainBeta Tester Posts: 98
    edited September 2018

There have been a lot of little fixes too from 1.4 to 2.0.
    Do we want further fixes to make it even better? Yes, of course! We just need to be a little bit patient, I think. Rohan is really improving the firmware very quickly and with constant updates and fixes.

Post edited by mcpepe on
    DVBDVB USAPosts: 48

@Volt said:
    Just thinking loud: When version 2.0 was released, maybe some people expected a very “polished“ firmware update, because it was a huge step from 1.4 to 2.0 (number-wise)? That’s maybe why they get a little bit disappointed, when they saw that there has been just minor fixes in workflow? This is at least what I heard about some people (friends) I know.

However, we will see what 2.1 brings. We need to be patiently.

Well, I'd say Arranger mode was a huge step up! If you go to the Squarp Pyramid forums, you can read some Arranger mode envy & that's a (fantastic) standalone sequencer. NEW ARRANGER MODE is much more fun (& marketable) than MORE UNDOS! Don't get me wrong, workflow is important but people need to understand that resources are limited & I'm saying that as someone who's begging for some sort of file-naming system.

The Deluge is a great piece of kit & doesn't have any more glitches than most other sophisticated modern gear that isn't well into its life cycle. I stayed away from all the Elektron mk2 upgrades because of bug reports. DSI has had issues with bugs & incomplete implementation on launch on more than one product. In comparison, I think Deluge has been more solid even but at least no less reliable than those well-respected companies' products.

ELEVENELEVEN Zagreb, CroatiaPosts: 60

i can see this thread is dead but still think this is really really important. refining/perfecting existing features would go a looong way for us existing users. there are many things that could be improved..
    make all parameters midi learnable and automatable, more delay sync options-dotted variants, better clip/sample/audio track editing options-truncate, split, consolidate etc, improvements to arranger mode-record shift-mutes into arrangement, record individual kit row mutes, better clip/instance editing in arranger with truncate, split, consolidate, possibility to make lfo 2 not retrigger with each note, send midi feedback to controllers, more options for fm synth, and many more little tweaks and functionality improvements..
    i am sure many of us would prefer such an update over another update that brings a lot of new features but leaves all these little things kinda half-baked

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

+1

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin