Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Per sample track lenght in kit for polyrythmics in one page.

PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105

Wouldn’t it be great?

Comments

darenagerdarenager Between a rack and a hardware placeBeta Tester Posts: 222

You’d think so, but apparently not many others seem to agree http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/1136/individual-last-step-per-drum#latest

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Got hardware step seqs that have this feature. I am not crazy about it.
    Deluge offers polyrythms if you use multiple tracks. So I dont' think it is very important.

For me, composing with odd polyrhythms is rather for experimental stuff. Gets complicated quickly for me. Certainly other people are more used to working with odd time signatures. Can't say if the proposed feature would make it easier to compose with let's say a 7/4 signature.
    However, I suspect it would be quite complicated to code. It breaks with a few concepts, like having multiple cursors. I reckon the concept of a master row the other rows align to would be needed too.

nosepeoplenosepeople United StatesPosts: 49

@amiga909 said:
    Got hardware step seqs that have this feature. I am not crazy about it.
    Deluge offers polyrythms if you use multiple tracks. So I dont' think it is very important.

Sorry but that's just not correct. Different length tracks gives you polymeter, not polyrhythm.

They are two different things that sound quite different. I really wish gear manufactures would stop calling their polymeter features polyrhythm and spreading confusion. (Squarp got this right, but I'm not sure anyone else has).

@amiga909 said:

However, I suspect it would be quite complicated to code.

Not really, it's just a bit of math, to figure out how many ticks for each step, and take care of the rounding errors. If we had a microtiming feature we could even generate polyrhythm manually by spreading X notes around in the bar of Y total notes (tedious, but doable).

Display-wise, there is already one type of polyrhythm available - the triplet. Other types would just block out fewer or more columns.

@amiga909 said:

It breaks with a few concepts, like having multiple cursors. I reckon the concept of a master row the other rows align to would be needed too.

Why would it do that? Each cursor moves when it goes to the next step, like it does now. And polyrhythm, unlike polymeter, is self-correcting, because it squeezes X number of steps into a measure. It realigns itself every measure.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

yeah might be easier than i thought. as said i never really got into it but since u explained it well (polymeter vs. polyrhythm) i give u my tiny upvote :)

nosepeoplenosepeople United StatesPosts: 49

Thanks amiga

propellpropell NorwayBeta Tester Posts: 17

Possibility to set different lengths for drums/sounds inside a drum kit to create som great polymetric rhythms without the need to create another drum track.

TenchiTenchi London Beta Tester Posts: 4

A big plus 1 for this

TenchiTenchi London Beta Tester Posts: 4

A big plus one for this

rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111

fun idea, maybe hold the sample row and shift then <>?

I would rather see the ability to copy samples in a kit first tbh

workaround?

1. set your kit clip length to match your longest sample.
    2. on shorter samples either record or crop the wave to the exact length of the subdivision you want.
    3. set the shorter sample play mode to loop
    4. make a note for that sample the entire length of the clip.
This discussion has been closed.