Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge firmware V1.2.0-alpha shared

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

We've just shared our new Deluge firmware V1.2.0-alpha, which we're very exciting about, to our closed Facebook group for testers. If you own a Deluge, you're welcome to join.

This firmware version is an "alpha", which means it's got a fair way to go before it's ready for release. With the help of our testers though, we look forward to finding and fixing all bugs and getting it ready for everyone's Deluges.

New features are:

-- SD streaming. All samples are now streamed from the SD card, instead of being completely loaded into RAM first. You don't have to do anything differently - you'll now just never run out of RAM or have to wait for whole samples to load. Polyphony and other features are unaffected.

-- Resampling. That is, recording the output of the Deluge right back onto the SD card. Options are provided for recording exactly for the duration of a loop, and for beginning recording exactly as a sound (e.g. an existing sample) begins.

-- Live audio input. Use the input as an "oscillator" source, and treat it like a synth in every other way. Live pitch shifting responds to the notes played on the instrument.

-- True monosynth and legato modes.

-- Random arpeggiator mode.

-- Input monitoring while sampling.

-- By popular demand, default resonance is changed to 0%, with more appropriate volume compensation for resonance.

Comments

JimboJimbo Portland, ORPosts: 10
    Hi! I would love to participate, but I don't have a face book account. Could you email me the update, perhaps?
    Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    edited July 2017

Hey Jimbo. It's difficult as we'd need to set up a secondary entirely private platform where we can control who has access to and also a system where we can contribute to. If we have multiple platforms and people are making the same observations it could also get tedious. The software is in alpha so it really does need to be used in a situation where you can view feedback the other users have already discovered and see our comments.
    Sorry, I'm really not a fan of Facebook, but it's perfect for this sort of feedback heavy project with lots of users. Can you create a temporary account just for the purpose of engaging with the testing?

Maybe when it's in beta and less prone to have issues we could email you the files, but while it's still in alpha we really need to engage with everyone using it and not have to manage multiple platforms, keep answering the same questions. I'll announce here when we have the beta version.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    JimboJimbo Portland, ORPosts: 10
    I understand. I'll just wait for the beta. Thanks for the reply!
    funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128
    edited July 2017

the v 1.2 sounds great, but how about some of these:

1. There is some nasty bug in the DSP section with DC offset either on the mix matrix or before oscillator signal hits the distortion effect, the sound disappears when you using SQUARE OSC with PWM>40 (a lot of Direct Current offset generated there) . Close the LFP filter, engage the "bit crush" and add a small amount of the distortion effect the sound disappears, yeah you hear almost noting b/c the Direct current offset (not sure how is the DC offset called in DSP world) pushes the waveform out of the amp range. Sorry I don’t know DSP much but in the analog world it is HPF and I would just put a capacitor between the sections a RC like 0.47microFarad+10k resistor to the ground ... to remove direct current offset.
      OSC->RC->BitCrush->RC->Distortion->RC->other effect ->RC mix console

2. When using distortion on low values 2-8 to bring some subtle harmonics there are often audible clicks produced. Even if the attack and release of the ADSR is set to > 0.

3. How about some of the “SOON” on the display for modulation parameters, especially a feedback/decay on the delay effect, a different mod sources especially ADSR can only be modulated by LFO1 and side-chain. I wish I could modulate ADSR with envelope or key track. I have tons of others but the community here did a great job, but there are some nasty ones that don’t let me utilize the synth engine properly.
      Also modulating feedback with FM does not work. Just use feedback and put a LFO1 on it and you’d see it does not work.

If need I can split this to 3 messages and put it in different section but I wanted to have top 3 of things that bother me a lot with deluge.

Post edited by funktree on
    Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    edited July 2017

Are those bugs (1 and 2) still present in the 1.1.2 firmware? You never got back to my last email I sent a few weeks ago.

Is there any way you can join our beta testers group on FB, even just setting up a account for that sole purpose? It would be great to have you engaged there, it's difficult to manage multiple places for feedback in that regards.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Hey Funktree.

Interesting point you make about pulse waves having a DC offset which when combined with an LPF causes saturation not to work. As you say, an HPF before the saturation would fix this - I'll consider making that change.

The clicks you mentioned in point 2 may be better in the new firmware version which is in alpha at the moment, due to some additional audio engine tweaks I made beyond the new features listed.

Thanks for pointing out a bug with modulating FM feedback. In fact, you could do it, but it was semi-broken. You have to give feedback itself a positive value in order to patch something to it. But the bug was that you had to do this before patching anything to it, which is obviously not right. To get this working right now, remove all mod sources from being patched to feedback, give the feedback a value, then patch them there again. I have fixed the bug just now, and the fix will be in the next firmware update.

Delay rate and feedback can be modulated, but only by the "global" mod sources - LFO1 and sidechain. This is because the delay is "global" (exists across all voices) to the synth / sound, whereas all other mod sources are "local" to just one voice.

funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128

@rohan said:
    Hey Funktree.

Interesting point you make about pulse waves having a DC offset which when combined with an LPF causes saturation not to work. As you say, an HPF before the saturation would fix this - I'll consider making that change.

I also noticed this on mixing points, if there is a heavy bass
    along with a few tracks the sound gets weird distortion if there is a deep bass, but as I said it is NOT regular saturation this saturation causes the sound to disappear or be very nasty.

The clicks you mentioned in point 2 may be better in the new firmware version which is in alpha at the moment, due to some additional audio engine tweaks I made beyond the new features listed.

Thanks for fixing this, I do need a slightly distorted EP, bass presets

Delay rate and feedback can be modulated, but only by the "global" mod sources - LFO1 and sidechain. This is because the delay is "global" (exists across all voices) to the synth / sound, whereas all other mod sources are "local" to just one voice.

This is shocking to me since I know on drums, I can use a few delays for each drum. I might be wrong ??? I will check this out.
    I often use LFO1 as mod for delay to get me a stereo chorus or flanger.

I guess I understand the LFO/SIDE ONLY options on Delay MOD... But please give us more MODs on ADSR in 1.3 or something like that.

Rohan thank you for all your work on this !