Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Option to route muted track(s) to headphones

It would be very helpful, for live use, to be able to send a muted track just to the headphones. That way, changes could be done live and dropped into the audience mix when ready.

Comments

nosepeoplenosepeople United StatesPosts: 49

Why I'm asking for this:

I like to record new parts and add them to a mix while playing live. On a device with multiple stereo outs, I would just route the track I'm recording to a different stereo pair, and route those track to the headphones at the mixer. When ready, I just unmute the track at the mixer and my new part is in the mix. But the Deluge has only the single stereo out.

By routing a muted track to the phones, the same functionality would be there in the Deluge. Just record the part, while hearing it mixed in the phones out, and then unmute to add to the main audience mix.

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

Thats a great idea!

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

from what ive read, as this has been mentioned many times before, is that the outputs are hardwired in a way they cant just be coded to be split via a firmware update. i could be mistaken though

@minigoat said:
    from what ive read, as this has been mentioned many times before, is that the outputs are hardwired in a way they cant just be coded to be split via a firmware update. i could be mistaken though

Has that hardware limitation been confirmed to exist by the developers? I saw this too, but as far as I can tell (and maybe I missed it) it hasn't been stated officially.

Ok, but I looked at all of the threads you linked, and Rohan never said that it isn't possible.

The people who did say it are: syn44, Icoustik, and dest4b. Are any of them on the development team? Do they really know?

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

yeah an official statement would be nice to have. however, i’d be surprised if this is possible. explanation makes sense for me. afaik only mixers can do phones out routing. never seen it on other devices.
    guess the only workaround is to go for mono and pan all tracks either full left or right. or have 2 synced Deluges.
    strong point for a Deluge XXL too, a new flagship model with tons of IO and bigger everything :)

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

The Deluge has a single ( high quality ) stereo DAC. so you can only have a single audio output. it's a hardware limitation, and won't change

@o0_ said:
    The Deluge has a single ( high quality ) stereo DAC. so you can only have a single audio output. it's a hardware limitation, and won't change

Source?

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

Hmm I opened it up and looked up the parts?

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

My source was Ian's (from Synthstrom) mouth during a European tour of the sugarcube prototype.
    I'm pretty sure most peoples first question was about the I/O.
    It was disappointing to learn that there is just the one DAC.
    The limitation has forced me to learn my samples folders and song titles better.
    :smile:

Ok cool. Figured as much. Something for the Mk II I suppose. Or, have a 2nd device on stage for adding stuff on the fly.

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

@nosepeople Check out downrush if you need to cue. :smile:

edited August 2018

@MatthewGeorge how is Downrush going to help me cue a part? It's a sample transfer utility, isn't it?

I'm talking about recording a new part into the sequencer as other stuff is playing. Not dropping in a loop.

Post edited by nosepeople on
    IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Downrush is much more than a sample transfer utility, but no it can't help you with that, nothing can unfortunately :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ