Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

MIDI questions

pylonzpylonz ChristchurchPosts: 4

Hey im getting the MIDI learn going and its all good - i was wondering about control/learn over entire song? As opposed to just individual sound parameters, is this an option/avail?

Also i wanted to ask about connections for controllers - is it ok to connect a USB over MIDI device (late model versions only have USB) and if so is a USB type B to Type B cable accepted/OK to use?

cheers!

Tagged:

Comments

SamSam WellingtonModerator, Staff Posts: 160

HI @pylonz! You can use MIDI to launch tracks and section in song mode. You set this up in the same way as setting up MIDI to control a synth in Track View, except you hold down learn/audition pad for the track you want to launch/stop.

As for USB connections - The Deluge can receive MIDI over USB, however it can't power other devices from USB. So you wouldn't be able to use it with a USB powered MIDI controller (e.g. an Akai LPD8) without sending them both to a computer and doing the routing on there. Any sort of USB cable should be fine to transfer MIDI, although there can be problems __powering __the Deluge through cables that have a particularly high resistance.

edited June 2017

Thanks Sam

When it comes to the MIDI control question - i ment to control the FX or other parameters in the synth engine over the ENTIRE song. Like you do in the nested sound control, but rather - globally! what say ye?

and thanks for that insight into launching sections etc!

If the Deluge has a 9v power source - shouldnt it power through the USB buss? Ie: if i have the Deluge plugged in with 9v supply and have the MIDI device on the USB buss - will it work?

Sorry for all the questions - i just don't want to try and blow her up :neutral: that would be a fail.
    cheers!

Post edited by pylonz on

Hi @pylonz. Unfortunately, you can't control global effects with MIDI. Likewise, I'm afraid the Deluge just can't output any power supply through its USB

OK! questions answered. i got the midi-control working through my laptop and a midi app. So all good there. Perhaps the global control is one for a firmware update? cheers Sam

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Just to put it out there, fx CAN be "globally" controlled by mapping the same external controller (knob/fader etc.) to multiple parameters like the delay or reverb of all tracks :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Hey @Icoustik! Thought I should just mention that that feature is only available on the latest beta and only through MIDI control, but thanks for updating the thread about a very appropriate new feature :smile:

Hey! Actually, it DID work with the older firmware too, but not one knob to multiple parameters on the SAME track. Only to one parameter each on different tracks :)

And now even better!

@Icoustik Whoops! You're right, I stand corrected! Thanks for that :smile:

All good! :)