Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Any former MPC 4000 users here?

HolidayHoliday CanadaPosts: 53

Been thinking about the Deluge but wanting more in/outs I was considering the MPC 4000. Was wondering if anyone here switch from MPC to Deluge, particularly the 4000.

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

if you can get it really cheap a MPC4000 is surely cool, would go for the new MPC X flagship as the 4k is discontinued since a long time.
    as a complete standalone music production workstation a flagship MPC is superior of course - dont know how a 2500$ Deluge would look like though. u can hook up more gear, more fx, .. plus MPC OS has developed over about 30 years. saying that it is absolutely astonishing the Deluge is a serious contender already.
    Deluge is rather a performance tool than a production workstation i reckon. it is rather made for playing live. rather than controlling a room full of hardware. Deluge can do that though but it does not have all the details like CC maps for external synths, patch dump recording (sysex), advanced audio routing, etc. ..
    and Deluge should not try to do that if you ask me. for me its better than any MPC cause of the marvellous RGB grid sequencer, its portability and its fresh ideas.

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

id say thats a good overview / comparison @alien_brain

HolidayHoliday CanadaPosts: 53

Yeah, I think what attracted me to the MPC 4000 over the Deluge was mainly the multiple audio and MIDI outs + rock solid timing, perhaps the extra knobs and sliders too. I like the workflow of the Deluge a bit better and of course it has it's own pluses over the MPC.

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    MachineAgeVoodooMachineAgeVoodoo BerlinPosts: 17

@Holiday said:
    Yeah, I think what attracted me to the MPC 4000 over the Deluge was mainly the multiple audio and MIDI outs + rock solid timing, perhaps the extra knobs and sliders too. I like the workflow of the Deluge a bit better and of course it has it's own pluses over the MPC.

Late reply, sorry. I am a long time MPC user and have used the 4000 in particular for the longest and very familiar with it. The Deluge doesn't have the multiple midi ports of course, and since it doesn't have multiple audio outs, the general output volume is lower than I'm used to, since the summing takes place digitally and shouldn't clip. This is what you just have to accept for any groovebox with a single output. However the good news is that the sound quality is great, and if you record with a good converter and low noise - no problem with gain. The timing MAY be a little tigher on the 4000? This is hard to say for sure, but I have a small feeling that it just felt a little more rock solid there. Modern Jomox drumboxes like Alphabase or 999 are even tighter I think. You can hear this. The 4k has superior "sample mangling" capabilities, and its easier to "fine tune" a parameter. But then the FX are far better and more up to modern standards on the Deluge and other features like arranger blows the 4k away. One more groovebox comparison, Digitakt. I believe the "summed" sound on the Deluge when playing back multiple tracks is far superior to the Elektron which I also had. Well that's my experience anyway :wink:

MachineAgeVoodooMachineAgeVoodoo BerlinPosts: 17

Having said all that - As soon as you sync the 4000 to external sync, the timing becomes super filmsy and jittery. This has been confirmed since ages.

nosepeoplenosepeople United StatesPosts: 49

@MachineAgeVoodoo said:
    Having said all that - As soon as you sync the 4000 to external sync, the timing becomes super filmsy and jittery. This has been confirmed since ages.

Not if you use SMPTE :)