Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Option for an effects tail when unarming a track

DustyNeedleDustyNeedle BelgiumPosts: 6
edited December 2017 in Deluge Software Suggestions

When you unarm a track there is no effects tail, in some cases and as I only use the inside synth, it is good to have an effects tail,
Could there be somewhere an option in the menu to put this function on or off, it would be even better if we could choose this for every track if we want it on or not. It must be possible because if you stop the deluge with the play button you have an effects tails.

Post edited by DustyNeedle on
Tagged:

Comments

ToumalToumal AustriaPosts: 18
    Noticed this just today, and fully agree.
    maimai Posts: 21
    edited December 2017

I absolutely agree, too! The problem is that we currently audio mute the track when it gets unarmed, that's why all tails (FX, release) get cutted immediately (amd sometimes clicking). But in my opinion it should MIDI mute when unarming tracks, so the notes/FX could play until their end..

Unfortunately Rohan seems to think that people want this cutting behaviour (I recognised it when this topic was discussed on FB), though I guess he is wrong...?

Post edited by mai on
    trijammertrijammer AucklandPosts: 8
    Yeah I'd love if it was an option, either per song or per track. I've been making very reverb-y dub tunes and this effect cut makes switching between tracks sound pretty naff. Loving the rest of the machine though!
    workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222
    edited December 2017

an updated song mode might help. What we have right now is more like a group-solo/mute. Instead of stopping the data from playing on any given track it silences the track when it moves to the next song section.

Post edited by workergray on

So, playing a bit more with the Deluge I found that this lack of effect trail makes any pad-type synth or sample essentially useless. You can't even arm/disarm different tracks of the same synth, let alone switch to a different song without the effect tail getting completely and utterly cut.

This really needs a fix. In fact, the default behavior should be that effects are not cut at all, unless specifically desired by the user.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Unsure. Cool setting to have for sure.
    In midi mode, on track or pad mute a note off is sent immediately, all playing notes are cut. Thats ok. Midi mute usually works this way I guess.
    Really hard for me to say how the Deluge should react with Synth and Kit tracks. I tend to agree with the request. Not clear what would happen to drone notes.

Note that a midi off does NOT cut any effects tails on external midi synths. Right now i am actually using a D05 for pads because otherwise i'd have to somehow mask the sudden cut with a revcymbal or similar.
    MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247
    With reverb I don't think there would be a CPU issue as it's a master effect. But I have no idea about the rest of it synths releasing etc.
    edited December 2017

@Toumal said:
    You can't even arm/disarm different tracks of the same synth, let alone switch to a different song without the effect tail getting completely and utterly cut.
    This really needs a fix. In fact, the default behavior should be that effects are not cut at all, unless specifically desired by the user.

There is an effect tail for cloned tracks.

The effect tail is there if I mute and unmute cloned tracks. In a section where a (for example) delay heavy synth is muted just add a cloned track and remove the notes. If the delay is still cut off check the controller data for the cloned track.

Still it is questionable how the effect tail should react on muting “normal tracks”. Also if notes should be cut off or not. Especially with the arrival of copy&paste I feel it is important to think it through.

Post edited by amiga909 on
    Huh. I have a cloned track. The notes are cut off.
    Oh i should note, this is not just about effects, but also about the envelope. I could post some of my pad patches and you'll see what i mean.

I do hope this can be implemented.
    I doubt that it is so impossible. For example, access music added this to the Virus TI with a firmware update.

Korg on the other hand never added this to the elektribe 2, but then again that was a terrible castrated box.
    edited December 2017

@Toumal said:
    Huh. I have a cloned track. The notes are cut off.
    Oh i should note, this is not just about effects, but also about the envelope. I could post some of my pad patches and you'll see what i mean.

I do hope this can be implemented.

Agreed. There does not seem to be a workaround for held notes.

Checked muting/unmuting cloned tracks that have a note that is hold at the end of the track. So: 1 track with a long note starting at 1.3 and ending at 1.2. If I clone that track and mute/unmute, yes, the note is cut off. At least cloned tracks really should not behave like this. I agree this is a major flaw.

Post edited by amiga909 on
    sgsrulessgsrules usBeta Tester Posts: 31

I agree. The current mute function completely mutes all sound and fx which makes sense in a way. But there should be on option to simply mute the notes, this would allow trailing effects to continue. I imagine this should be pretty simple to implement since it would simply have to stop notes from being played. In my opinion this should be the default behavior of the mute button, but the old mute functionality could still be used by hitting shift+mute to completely kill it.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017
    edited December 2017

It could've been as simple as f.ex. a settings menu option to set the mute pads to either behave as they do now, or to instead control the Master volume parameter of kit rows and song tracks, in the range of 0 - current playback level !

Post edited by Icoustik on

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

+1

YogiYogi GermanyPosts: 16

+1 :)

poldensteinpoldenstein italyBeta Tester Posts: 43

+1

moosiqpiplmoosiqpipl Frankfurt am Main, GermanyPosts: 24

++1

((qp))

Please don't forget we also need note off support. I have the nagging suspicion some people confuse the two!

should be closed.

Agreed, fixed in 2.0.0! Thanks a lot!

close?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

This discussion has been closed.